Yaeger Award Practice Tests

Started by fish7days, February 28, 2022, 01:37:41 AM

fish7days

I searched for the above but no results.

Can anyone please point me to some resources where I can do online practice tests for the Yaeger Award?

Thx

SM Andre Venter
1st Lt - CAP
Transportation Mission Pilot - CSEL / Instrument
South African Infantry Instructor 1983 - 1985
South African Infantry Pro Patria Combat Medal Recipient

Eclipse

It's an online, open book test, intended to be scored to 100%, and better done in a group,
why would you need a practice?

"That Others May Zoom"

fish7days

Simply to get a sense of the question types and structures. I think a fair question.
1st Lt - CAP

Eclipse

Just go into the test and look at the questions.

There's no limit to attempts, and no extra for 100% - most adults,
especially pilots, can pass it on the first attempt without the book.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Open-book test. Control-F is your friend.

I personally disagree with this approach, as someone who took it closed-book many moons ago. There is an intent for learning that has been eroded into just another check-in-a-box for a ribbon.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

Quote from: SarDragon on March 01, 2022, 02:35:38 AMOpen-book test. Control-F is your friend.

I personally disagree with this approach, as someone who took it closed-book many moons ago. There is an intent for learning that has been eroded into just another check-in-a-box for a ribbon.

100% concur.  I remember taking this test back in 1983 or thereabouts ... closed-book, pencil and paper, all that jazz.  Made a 90-something on it.  And I had to study for it.

My Yeager Award is so old it doesn't even have Gen. Yeager's name on it.  Just the "Aerospace Education Program for Senior Members" award.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

fish7days

Thanks all. Passed with 99 first try.
1st Lt - CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 01, 2022, 11:07:15 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 01, 2022, 02:35:38 AMOpen-book test. Control-F is your friend.

100% concur.  I remember taking this test back in 1983 or thereabouts ... closed-book, pencil and paper, all that jazz.  Made a 90-something on it.  And I had to study for it.

My Yeager Award is so old it doesn't even have Gen. Yeager's name on it.  Just the "Aerospace Education Program for Senior Members" award.

Jack

As a fairly new member of CAP, I had heard stories of how the Yeager was a "big deal" and considered a substantial milestone for Senior members to complete.

A friend of mine had the old, large sized certificate that used to come from CAP-HQ framed in his office, with other PD Awards.

I was looking forward to getting mine. I had a plan to get framed with the ribbon and mini-medal so I could hang it in my Army Office and use it as a conversation starter to recruit members of my Reserve unit into CAP.

As a non-flying person, I did find parts of the test somewhat difficult, but being open book, I located most answers easy enough  that didn't know and confirmed those I wasn't 100% about.

I was very disappointed with the downloadable certificate I received. While I have a very good color printer and decent cardstock certificate paper... I was really expected something more... both in the test itself and the frame-able certificate.

Not sure if I will go through with my plans now, it will not be as eye-grabbing as the old certificates, but it is something you don't see in the Army so maybe I still will. 
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Shuman 14 on March 04, 2022, 07:29:22 PMAs a fairly new member of CAP, I had heard stories of how the Yeager was a "big deal" and considered a substantial milestone for Senior members to complete.

A friend of mine had the old, large sized certificate that used to come from CAP-HQ framed in his office, with other PD Awards.

I was looking forward to getting mine. I had a plan to get framed with the ribbon and mini-medal so I could hang it in my Army Office and use it as a conversation starter to recruit members of my Reserve unit into CAP.

As a non-flying person, I did find parts of the test somewhat difficult, but being open book, I located most answers easy enough  that didn't know and confirmed those I wasn't 100% about.

I was very disappointed with the downloadable certificate I received. While I have a very good color printer and decent cardstock certificate paper... I was really expected something more... both in the test itself and the frame-able certificate.

Not sure if I will go through with my plans now, it will not be as eye-grabbing as the old certificates, but it is something you don't see in the Army so maybe I still will.

The Yeager Award was the first thing that I knocked out as a brand-new member. It was a major "do" item marketed to newbies. Afterward, it felt like "What was the big deal about this?" Later, I'd get the Davis certificate with the gold seal on it. I was kinda like "meh."

I think it has some value for programming, but it's really not a significant ordeal by any means. It's a general knowledge/history test.

I fully agree with the sentiment about the downloadable certificates. I'm fairly negative when it comes to these "pre-signed" print-outs. It looks really tacky and doesn't show much significance for the actual accomplishment.

Capt Thompson

When did they stop doing the full size certificates? I got mine in 2016 and got the full size sent from NHQ so I gather this was in the last few years?

I had just come back from more than a decade away from CAP and there was a big push for this. That year I went to Wing Conference and wore the Yeager as my one mini medal on my blazer and had a few people stop me because it was supposedly a big deal. As an Earhart Cadet it was pretty much review, and since then I haven't heard Wing mention the award once, although we still push our new Seniors to get it.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

AuntieM

For people wanting to study/practice, the book has questions at the end of each chapter. The Teacher Guide has more of an outline format and also has practice questions. This is a great way to get an idea of what questions are like. Both books are available in eServices in pdf form. I didn't read the book cover-to-cover to prepare. Areas I was already familiar with as a weather geek, pilot, and amateur astronomy buff, I skimmed over. Other parts I read thoroughly. I did go over the teacher guide questions, and quizzed myself on those to see where I needed more prep.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Capt Thompson on March 04, 2022, 10:06:35 PMWhen did they stop doing the full size certificates? I got mine in 2016 and got the full size sent from NHQ so I gather this was in the last few years?

I had just come back from more than a decade away from CAP and there was a big push for this. That year I went to Wing Conference and wore the Yeager as my one mini medal on my blazer and had a few people stop me because it was supposedly a big deal. As an Earhart Cadet it was pretty much review, and since then I haven't heard Wing mention the award once, although we still push our new Seniors to get it.

They stopped printing the large certificates because it was too costly, not only the size, but the cost of postage. I've had all kinds of the larger certificates, but now the only large ones are the DSM and Medals of Valor. The issuing commands now produce them off of the templates available from E-services
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member