Main Menu

CAP Challenge Coins

Started by abysmal, April 29, 2005, 01:51:44 AM

Yoda

I earned the COS coin, but that's it.  One of the NYWG Encampment Challenge Coins would be nice to add to it, but they're not exactly handed out like candy.

Pace

Quote from: usafafreak on May 17, 2005, 12:53:39 PM
No I did not just ask for a coin I asked for instructions on how to earn or get one, I'm not that stupid. No I have not met him in person but I have heard a lot about him a very nice guy I hear.

I already posted what he sent to me in an e-mail after I met him (for the third or forth time...I can't remember which) in Washington, D.C.
Quote from: dcpacemaker
In his own words, he's only going to give them out to individuals that excel in their service to this Nation and to those who his office owes a great deal of gratitude.

That is almost word for word what he sent me as his criteria for presenting his coin.
Lt Col, CAP

usafafreak

Cadet Johnson, thanks for emailing. I had promised the Cadet a coin and fulfilled that promise, but advised him I considered the coins an extension of my office and would henceforth only be giving my coin to those who have gained by confidence and trust by their work in CAP. I have a limited edition and want them to count for something.

I appreciate your inquiring about the coin. Perhaps one day our paths will cross and upon my learning of your years in CAP and your achievements I would be honored to palm a coin, my hand to yours.

Best of luck in your activities. Make your time count.

Maj Gen Dwight Wheless, National Commander

There is the email the General sent me back.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

abysmal

Quote from: usafafreak on May 18, 2005, 02:47:34 AM

I appreciate your inquiring about the coin. Perhaps one day our paths will cross and upon my learning of your years in CAP and your achievements I would be honored to palm a coin, my hand to yours.

PERFECT!
Now all you have to do is BUST YOUR BUTT for a couple of years and make sure you cross the General's path and your home free.

That coin will be your's in no time at all.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

usafafreak

Yep not a biggy haha. Like you siad work your butt off then get lucky enough to meet the General in person.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

abysmal

Quote from: usafafreak on May 18, 2005, 04:00:36 AM
Yep not a biggy haha. Like you siad work your butt off then get lucky enough to meet the General in person.

"IF" you really do work your butt off, then you will not be surprised when the opportunity for you to meet the General suddenly lands in your lap.

usafafreak

The thing is I plan to find a way to get one although I want to earn it just not get one then it'll mean something I'd love to have it and I'd be very proud to show it off to my fellow cadets as I'm sure the cadet that said he had gotten one has done. Any ideas on how to make the General Proud?
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

abysmal

Quote from: usafafreak on May 18, 2005, 04:13:03 AM
The thing is I plan to find a way to get one although I want to earn it just not get one then it'll mean something I'd love to have it and I'd be very proud to show it off to my fellow cadets as I'm sure the cadet that said he had gotten one has done. Any ideas on how to make the General Proud?

If you had 2,000 Cadets in your squadron 0.05% or ONE SINGLE CADET would earn their SPAATZ Award.

If you want to STAND OUT in the crowd, set that as your first goal.

That alone will get his attention.

Then just heap on all the other things you are going to do between now and then along the way!

Pace

Quote from: usafafreak on May 18, 2005, 02:47:34 AM
Cadet Johnson, thanks for emailing. I had promised the Cadet a coin and fulfilled that promise, but advised him I considered the coins an extension of my office and would henceforth only be giving my coin to those who have gained by confidence and trust by their work in CAP. I have a limited edition and want them to count for something.

Best of luck in your activities. Make your time count.

Maj Gen Dwight Wheless, National Commander

There is the email the General sent me back.
I'm glad that you're so motivated to excel in CAP.  You're goal, however, should be to excel and accept awards as they come.  Your goal should not be the awards themselves (except for milestones since that's the whole point of the cadet program).  I do have a problem with you sending an e-mail to Maj Gen Wheless for several reasons.

First, had you read one of my first posts, I explained his criteria so there was no real reason to ask a question that was already answered.  Second, I e-mailed him because I had permission.  You jumped the chain of command all the way up without adequate reason (Maj Gen Wheless is nice so he will not be as stern as many corporate officers would be).  You stepped over your squadron commander (Lt Col Gore), wing commander (Colonel Chitwood), and region commander (Colonel Todd).  This is not acceptable.  Were any of the commanders in that chain to find out you directly e-mailed the National Commander, I think you would find that they will not be as tactful as I am being right now.

If that wasn't bad enough, you mentioned me in your e-mail.  I have nothing to hide, but if you want to break policy (chain of command) then do it without bringing me into it, especially when it involves the National Commander.

You're only a cadet senior airman so you still have a lot to learn.  There's a chain of command.  Use it.  As you grow in the program you will learn that there are few times when breaking the chain is acceptable...even then it will definitely not be over something as trivial as a challenge coin.  I posted it on here because the topic was "Who has a CAP Challenge coin?"  I wanted to share what the  National Commander's coin looked like.  I did not do it to show off, and I certainly did not do it to encourage others to e-mail the General to request one as I knew it was his express interest to only present it to those he personally deemed deserving.

I wish you well in CAP.  Learn as much as you can, keep progressing in the program, attend as many activities as you can, and gain leadership experience whenever possible, but do it by the books.  Another tip is that what happens on these on-line forums does not constitute permission to use the knowledge and opinions expressed here back in your squadron or higher echelons.  Justifying your actions in CAP by stuff you read on here will generally be a bad idea, and bringing names of people on these forums into what you do will only make those individuals mad.  Basically, you can't use what someone said on here to do whatever you want back in CAP.  If you want to bring someone's name into a discussion or e-mail outside of this forum, you need to ask their permission first.  Had I received an e-mail from Maj Gen Wheless saying "why is this cadet e-mailing me about the coin I gave to you" without realizing you had ever sent him an e-mail, mad is an understatement to just how angry I would have been.  Even had you asked me, I would have asked you not to bring me into it because it's a clear violation of the chain of command.  Please learn from this, and ask before you do something that involves people well above your grade.

Daniel Pace, C/Lt Col, CAP
Vice Chairperson
Southwest Region CAC
Lt Col, CAP

usafafreak

Sir,

I am very sorry as you said I am young and have a lot to learn. I did not think about there being much of a problem with it and simply jumped to my own idea on what to do to find out more about this coin and am very sorry that I asked the wrong person first without going to my direct superiors first. Although I would like to defend myself by saying I DID NOT mention your name even once I simply stated that there was a cadet on a forum that said he had recived one so you were never mentioned in that email.

Well I thank you and apologize once more for my actions,
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

Pace

Quote from: usafafreak on May 18, 2005, 11:36:28 AM
Sir,

I am very sorry as you said I am young and have a lot to learn. I did not think about there being much of a problem with it and simply jumped to my own idea on what to do to find out more about this coin and am very sorry that I asked the wrong person first without going to my direct superiors first. Although I would like to defend myself by saying I DID NOT mention your name even once I simply stated that there was a cadet on a forum that said he had recived one so you were never mentioned in that email.

Well I thank you and apologize once more for my actions,

Don't sweat it.  No harm was done, and I hope you can see why it is always important to follow the chain of command, even for something like this.  If everybody sent Maj Gen Wheless an e-mail, he'd be swamped for weeks if not months.  Luckily, he's the kind of guy that will gladly respond to members usually without taking corrective or punitive action.

As for not mentioning names, you didn't have to.  As of three weeks ago, I was one of only two cadets to receive his coin.  Even then, I was the person in contact with him to get the coins for both of us.  Any mention of a cadet receiving his coin and stating "he" was all the General needed to figure out who you were referring to since the other cadet is female.  You had no way of knowing that, but that's exactly why following the chain and asking those involved before you take any action is important.

Great motivation!  Just play by the rules, and everything will go smoother.
Lt Col, CAP

usafafreak

Ops! Sorry about that. Yeah I now have a new perspective on how important it is to keep the chain of command thanks to you and I thank you for that, it'll help in the long run that way I don't end up in the commandors rath haha. Thank you again Sir and I'll talk to you later.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

usafafreak

Quote from: abysmal on May 18, 2005, 04:18:31 AM
Quote from: usafafreak on May 18, 2005, 04:13:03 AM

If you had 2,000 Cadets in your squadron 0.05% or ONE SINGLE CADET would earn their SPAATZ Award.

If you want to STAND OUT in the crowd, set that as your first goal.

That alone will get his attention.

Then just heap on all the other things you are going to do between now and then along the way!

Just something to consider Sir I have a squadron of about 60-70 and we have 4 Spaatz and I plan to get another, so yes that will help but yeah...
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

Pace

Quote from: usafafreak on May 18, 2005, 01:52:19 PM
Just something to consider cadet I have a squadron of about 60-70 and we have 4 Spaatz and I plan to get another, so yes that will help but yeah...

I have a quick question.  Since you do not use much punctuation in your posts, I often have a hard time discerning your meaning so if I misread your post I apologize.  Did you just call SM Parrett a cadet?

Also, C/Col Parker wouldn't happen to be from your squadron, would he?  What about C/Lt Col Walters?  Is he from your squadron as well?

Thanks,
Lt Col, CAP

abysmal

Quote from: dcpacemaker on May 18, 2005, 02:44:41 PM
Did you just call SM Parrett a cadet?

he he he....
Thats Senior Member "Promotable" to you bucko !!

Off to SLS this weekend and then June 6th I finally get my rank back.
Teach me to let my membership lapse!!

Pace

Quote from: abysmal on May 18, 2005, 04:03:53 PM
he he he....
Thats Senior Member "Promotable" to you bucko !!
Hey, I can play that game, too.  On June 24, 2005, I'll be Captain (select).  I already have the quals for it except for age and CAP designator (Cadet vs. SM).

DISCLAIMER: I know there is no such thing as "select" grade in CAP except for the National Commander who must wait to hear approval from the CSAF to pin on Maj Gen stars.  No flaming...or maybe that's just on CS.

Quote from: abysmal on May 18, 2005, 04:03:53 PM
Off to SLS this weekend and then June 6th I finally get my rank back.
Teach me to let my membership lapse!!
Congrats, Sir!  I'm kind of curious though.  SLS is required for Phase II/Captain.  I know that former members can be reinstated to their last held grade if they have current training.  That being said, are you trying to get reinstated to Captain?
Lt Col, CAP

abysmal

I wasout of CAP for a LONG time!
Last time I was active was back in 1985/6

And beleive you me, CAP has changed one heck of a LOT !

I need to go to SLS just to make sure I am back up to speed.

As it looks right now, I will become the Deputy Commander for Cadets next month as well.
The last 6 months has been spent SLOWLY coming back up to speed on EVERYTHING CAP...
Its amazing just how much I forgot, or had learned differently while I was on active duty in the Army.

usafafreak

Quote from: dcpacemaker on May 18, 2005, 02:44:41 PM
Quote from: usafafreak on May 18, 2005, 01:52:19 PM
Just something to consider cadet I have a squadron of about 60-70 and we have 4 Spaatz and I plan to get another, so yes that will help but yeah...

I have a quick question.  Since you do not use much punctuation in your posts, I often have a hard time discerning your meaning so if I misread your post I apologize.  Did you just call SM Parrett a cadet?

Also, C/Col Parker wouldn't happen to be from your squadron, would he?  What about C/Lt Col Walters?  Is he from your squadron as well?

Thanks,

Ops! once again sorry about that Sir I typed cadet not even thinking about it and sorry about my punctuation I was in a hurry. Yes C/Col Parker and C/Col Walters and C/Col Fitzpatrick and another C/Col that I just can't think of the name right now are all in my squadron. Now I am trusting you here so as I said I apologize for the chain of command thing and I even apologized to the General too, so don't rat on me to the C/Col. ok?

Thank you Sir,
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

usafafreak

This is My Apology email to the General and his response,

Sir,

This is Cadet Johnson one last time. I had posted my email from you so the cadets online could see what you had to say on how to achive the honor of possesing your coin. Then a cadet gave me a nice leture, I now have a whole new view on the chain of command. You know the details, I went strait to you when there are a million people higher than me that are lower than you that I should have gone to first. I am very sorry for any trouble I have caused but as I have said I have learned from my mistake and apolgize once more.

Cadet Johnson

There was no breech of protocol at all. You merely requested a coin, not a promotion. I am glad to hear from our Cadets and I would gently raise the question of protocol if the item was a chain of command issue.

----- Original Message -----
To: dhwheless@earthlink.net
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:47 AM
Subject: Hello

I know take back all of my apologys for breeching the protocal, it sounds to me like he likes to hear from the little guys every once in a while, A TRUE LEADER, in my eyes as I'm sure he is in yours too and an all aroung nice guy.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

abysmal

Back to the topic of coins.

All of my 60th anniversary coins arrived.
Looks like Monday night will be the Cadet introduction to the CAP coin challenge.