The things my dad puts in his shoes?  ;D

Groan!!
You guys are Brutal tonight!
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Skyray

I would like to have a Wheless.  He is one cool dude.  How do you get one?
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Pace

Quote from: Skyray on May 11, 2005, 04:08:47 PM
Certainly you can't buy or trade for it.
In his own words, he's only going to give them out to individuals that excel in their service to this Nation and to those who his office owes a great deal of gratitude.  Besides that, I don't know what to tell you besides good luck.
Lt Col, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: dcpacemaker on May 11, 2005, 04:54:33 PM
Certainly you can't buy or trade for it.
In his own words, he's only going to give them out to individuals that excel in their service to this Nation and to those who his office owes a great deal of gratitude.  Besides that, I don't know what to tell you besides good luck.

If you have birdies on your uniform or are his personal cadet slave aide you might get one.

I've never got a challenge coin from anybody... So I guess I'm buying if I ever get challenged.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Here is your challenge.
Make it out to Lake Havasu City, and I will reward you with a Challenge Coin !!

Pace

My squadron's policy on its coin is that if you're a squadron member and ground team certified, you can buy a coin.  For non-squadron members, the only way to get a coin is to receive ground team training at one of our ES training weekends held annually.  Even then, the member still must buy the coin.  The only people who have them but did not have to buy them are those at wing, region, and national that we decided to give one to.  Off hand I can think of 5 people who have been presented one, and one of those is Maj Gen Wheless.  We would like to be able to present all of our coins at no cost, especially to our squadron members, but the $600 that would be lost makes that impossible.
Lt Col, CAP

abysmal

Funny how that MONEY issue keeps coming back to haunt us...

MIKE

Quote from: abysmal on May 11, 2005, 05:18:31 PM
Here is your challenge.

But isn't it wicked hot in AZ this time of the year?  Oh... And the snakes... Big ones.

Does that coin come with round trip airfare, airport limo service and room and board?  :D

Buying a coin kind of defeats the purpose of the tradition behind it IMO... If you had to buy it instead of earn it or have it presented, then it has no real value.
Mike Johnston

Pace

Quote from: MIKE on May 11, 2005, 05:49:13 PMBuying a coin kind of defeats the purpose of the tradition behind it IMO... If you had to buy it instead of earn it or have it presented, then it has no real value.

That's the closest we can come to the tradition without going in debt.  The coin still has to be earned...not just anyone (or even any squadron member) can buy them.  It's still a source of pride considering the "history" (as short as that may be) behind some of the things printed on the coin.  It's a symbol for those who are members of the Ruston Composite Squadron Ground Team (since apparently the LAWG and the Air Force evaluators think we're so good).

And BTW, I always thought that if you had never been presented a coin, you could not be challenged.  In the military you've already got a coin by the time you've finished either the Academy, OTS, ROTC, or Basic.  In CAP that's not the case, so how is it fair to continually coin those who have never been presented a coin?
Lt Col, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: dcpacemaker
And BTW, I always thought that if you had never been presented a coin, you could not be challenged.  In the military you've already got a coin by the time you've finished either the Academy, OTS, ROTC, or Basic.  In CAP that's not the case, so how is it fair to continually coin those who have never been presented a coin?

I agree completely.  If you've never received a coin, you can't be challenged.  If you are, it doesn't count - you don't owe anybody drinks.  I've never seen coin challenges practiced any other way.  You'd have to be pretty hard-up to pay your bar tab if you're challenging people without coins and demanding they pay for a round.   ::)

I myself have yet to be presented with a coin.  My AF buddy gave me one from his unit right before they deployed to Afghanistan, and I got a couple others from sales for purely historical or collectors reasons (not to claim as one of my own coins).  Sooner or later, I figure I'll get one proper. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on May 11, 2005, 05:49:13 PM
Quote from: abysmal on May 11, 2005, 05:18:31 PM
Here is your challenge.

But isn't it wicked hot in AZ this time of the year?  Oh... And the snakes... Big ones.

Does that coin come with round trip airfare, airport limo service and room and board?  :D

Buying a coin kind of defeats the purpose of the tradition behind it IMO... If you had to buy it instead of earn it or have it presented, then it has no real value.

Well Lets see.
Today was a very mild 85 degrees.
Been hovering in the low 90s of late, not quite 100 yet.
But I am sure it will break 100 very soon now.
HOT doesn't start till July/August when it get above 115

Snakes are not all that common.
Scorpions are a bigger concern.

And, who said anything about buying a coin.
If you make it all the way out here I would be happy to present one to you in recognition of your efforts in getting here to collect it !!

abysmal

Quote from: Pylon on May 11, 2005, 08:57:52 PM
Sooner or later, I figure I'll get one proper. 

I wll extend the same offer to you.
If you can make it all the way out here, I would be happy to present one to you in recognition of your contributions to CAP.

usafafreak

I just now (1914hr. 05/16/05) emailed him haven't gotten any response yet of course but I'll let you know.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

abysmal

So your betting that if you ask, he will just send you one?

Pace

Quote from: usafafreak on May 17, 2005, 12:15:36 AM

I just now (1914hr. 05/16/05) emailed him haven't gotten any response yet of course but I'll let you know.

Have you ever even met or spoken with Maj Gen Wheless?  If not, e-mailing him directly is probably not a good idea.  I'll wait to see his response before I post anything else.
Lt Col, CAP

usafafreak

No I did not just ask for a coin I asked for instructions on how to earn or get one, I'm not that stupid. No I have not met him in person but I have heard a lot about him a very nice guy I hear.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING