14. New Business

1.  Awards/Decorations/Promotions             Maj Gen Courter Pg. 37
2.  Identification Cards                      Col Myrick      Pg. 37
3.  Elimination of the New Corporate Uniform                  Pg. 38
4.  Wear of Gray pants and Aviator shirt for Cadets over 18   Pg. 38
5.  Uniform Process Action team                               Pg. 38
6.  National Cadet Competition                                Pg. 40

Administrative Announcements                                  Pg. 42
See attached: (Converted to PDF for universal access)

RADIOMAN015

Thanks for the heads up, Yes the actual "draft" minutes can be found at:  http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/BoG_2008_Dec_A66FC958F5434.pdf

I especially like the discussions on making sure a member is who she/he says they are (positive ID) due to the possibility of terrorists infiltrating CAP, and every senior member having to get a picture ID card, possibly from a government issuing ID facility
Frankly for CAP senior members it's seem that one could readily ask to see a picture ID card issued by a government agency and just check off that a government picture ID card was checked on the application, and of course as they admit the finger print card (which again the conspiracy theory comes into play that someone might submit finger prints that isn't theirs) can also be used to verify status.

As far as the picture ID cards are concerned, CAP is already behind by about 1 1/2 months to issuing the plastic non photo ID cards.  Surely most members like taking time off from work to go to a government ID issuing facility (likely a military base/facility) just to get a picture ID card.  Why not mak it simple and place a statement on the non photo card to just ask for picture ID verification.  Most mlitary bases require that a drivers' license with picture be shown at the gate for entry anyways, unless one already has a DOD/military ID card.   
RM

lordmonar

RM,

One of the issue that CAP is looking at with a new ID card is that DHS is requiring photo IDs for flight line access and DoD is going to start locking down bases more.  By using the same standards for postive ID that the government uses for social security cards or pass ports we make our IDs that much more secure.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 27, 2009, 06:48:39 PM
and of course as they admit the finger print card (which again the conspiracy theory comes into play that someone might submit finger prints that isn't theirs) can also be used to verify status.

What would it take to get CAP onboard with LiveScan?  Does it cost anything for CAP itself?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: lordmonar on December 27, 2009, 08:32:43 PM
RM,

One of the issue that CAP is looking at with a new ID card is that DHS is requiring photo IDs for flight line access and DoD is going to start locking down bases more.  By using the same standards for postive ID that the government uses for social security cards or pass ports we make our IDs that much more secure.
Many commercial airports already have CAP pilots getting access badges (to include a card to open a gate) with their photo, and a CAP picture ID card will not change that requirement at these airports.
As far as CAP mission operational support personnel getting on military bases during certain security conditions, there are "other" methods to ensure appropriate access can be obtained.
RM

alamrcn

Quote from: RADIOMAN015
Thanks for the heads up, Yes the actual "draft" minutes can be found at:  http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/BoG_2008_Dec_A66FC958F5434.pdf

Oops, that's a link to the Board of Governers' November 2008 meeting. Here's the link to the National Executive Committee's November 2009 meeting...
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/NEC_2009_Nov_draft_A932C887B8DC0.pdf

Another oops...
The 2009 February (winter) National Board Meeting minutes link to the September 2009 (fall) draft. But the the file name is correct - hope someone backed it up ;)

Since the National HQ website does dump off older meeting minutes, I have stored them on the Civil Air Patrol Patches website in the Document Library. So if you need to research anything from 2000-2003, that's were you can go...
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library.html#National Meeting Minutes

If anyone by chance has anything older than that on their hard drive, please let me know!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

flyguy06

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 27, 2009, 06:48:39 PM

I especially like the discussions on making sure a member is who she/he says they are (positive ID) due to the possibility of terrorists infiltrating CAP, and every senior member having to get a picture ID card, possibly from a government issuing ID facility
Frankly for CAP senior members it's seem that one could readily ask to see a picture ID card issued by a government agency and just check off that a government picture ID card was checked on the application, and of course as they admit the finger print card (which again the conspiracy theory comes into play that someone might submit finger prints that isn't theirs) can also be used to verify status.

As far as the picture ID cards are concerned, CAP is already behind by about 1 1/2 months to issuing the plastic non photo ID cards.  Surely most members like taking time off from work to go to a government ID issuing facility (likely a military base/facility) just to get a picture ID card.  Why not mak it simple and place a statement on the non photo card to just ask for picture ID verification.  Most mlitary bases require that a drivers' license with picture be shown at the gate for entry anyways, unless one already has a DOD/military ID card.   
RM

Isn't a drivers license a government issued picture ID? Most senior members already have one of those right?

Flying Pig

So whats the "Air Patrol Ribbon" for?

lordmonar

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 28, 2009, 11:35:21 PM
DHS, Forest Fire Patrols, Coast Watch Patrols and the new SUAV missions.

BuckeyeDEJ

Hopefully, they'll come up with a different name so as not to be confusing.

I can hear it now: "Why isn't it called the Civil Air Patrol Ribbon?"

Maybe some sort of "reconaissance service ribbon" or something.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

lordmonar

Well....if I had my druthers....I would just ditch the SAR, O-ride, CAP Patrol, and CD ribbons and just adopt an Aerial Acheivement, Ground Achievement and Mission Support Achievement ribbons.

You fly 10 real missions (CD, SAR, DHS, O-ride, what ever) you get an Aerial Achievement.

You do 10 ground team missions you get the Ground Acheivement.

You do 10 missions at Mission Base you get the Mission Support Acheivement.

Simple...no fuss...logical rules....no stuipd props or whatever to clutter up the ribbon.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: lordmonar on December 29, 2009, 12:30:04 AM
Well....if I had my druthers....I would just ditch the SAR, O-ride, CAP Patrol, and CD ribbons and just adopt an Aerial Acheivement, Ground Achievement and Mission Support Achievement ribbons.

You fly 10 real missions (CD, SAR, DHS, O-ride, what ever) you get an Aerial Achievement.

You do 10 ground team missions you get the Ground Acheivement.

You do 10 missions at Mission Base you get the Mission Support Acheivement.

Simple...no fuss...logical rules....no stuipd props or whatever to clutter up the ribbon.
The mission support ribbon would have a donut or coffee-cup clasp to denote further service.

Seriously, though, I don't understand why we have a cadet orientation pilot ribbon, or a counterdrug ribbon, or some of these others. I'm OK with a ribbon for special, non-search missions, and maybe that one ribbon could replace a bunch of these others.

We're getting into ribbon overload, to the point where they're starting to look alike. I am waiting for the cringe when some cadet points at my command service ribbon and asks where I did community service.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

lordmonar

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 29, 2009, 01:12:00 AMI am waiting for the cringe when some cadet points at my command service ribbon and asks where I did community service.
I tried to fix that last year by making the command badge permanant (worn under the name tag for alumni commanders)...but the NB shot it down.  :D

James Shaw

The specific criteria is being discussed. It is supposed to cover those missions that are not allready covered. It is intended to be the "final" type ribbon for flight related missions.

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 29, 2009, 12:18:17 AM

The name has allready been changed a couple of times.

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 29, 2009, 01:12:00 AM

We're getting into ribbon overload, to the point where they're starting to look alike. I am waiting for the cringe when some cadet points at my command service ribbon and asks where I did community service.

The design doesnt look like any other. I did the propsed design.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: caphistorian on December 29, 2009, 01:31:28 AM
The specific criteria is being discussed. It is supposed to cover those missions that are not allready covered. It is intended to be the "final" type ribbon for flight related missions.
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 29, 2009, 12:18:17 AM
The name has allready been changed a couple of times.
AHA! Good. I think...

Quote from: caphistorian on December 29, 2009, 01:31:28 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 29, 2009, 01:12:00 AM
The design doesnt look like any other. I did the propsed design.
Put the community service and command service ribbons together, and the only difference I see is that the outer stripes flip. It's essentially the same pattern as the Red Service Ribbon, just with different colors — unless I'm missing something, Jim.

... or do you mean the design of the new "air patrol" ribbon? If so, to quote the folks over at Fark.com, this thread is useless without pictures.

By the way, your TIG to light colonel isn't unlike mine. :) I'm trying to get SOS out of the way in time.

Cecil DP

Quote from: lordmonar on December 29, 2009, 01:22:54 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 29, 2009, 01:12:00 AMI am waiting for the cringe when some cadet points at my command service ribbon and asks where I did community service.
I tried to fix that last year by making the command badge permanant (worn under the name tag for alumni commanders)...but the NB shot it down.  :D

They didn't hesitate to make the NB and NEC badges permenant awards though.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Flying Pig

So we will have How many ribbons for flight?

Counter Drug Ribbon
Homeland Security Ribbon
Search and Rescue Ribbon w/ prop
Find Ribbon w/ prop

Now we need an "Air Patrol" ribbon for everything else not covered?

I think were good in the ribbon department.  I thought putting a silver prop on the achievement ribbon would be perfect for an "Aerial Achievement Medal."  One ribbon doubling for two.

bosshawk

It would be interesting to see an accounting of the corporate funds spent on this most recent NEC meeting in St. Louis.  It might also be interesting to figure out how much it cost for each agenda item.  Probably embarrass some folks.

Remember fellow CAP members: that is our dues money that is being spent on those meetings.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

James Shaw

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 29, 2009, 06:22:08 PM
So we will have How many ribbons for flight?

Counter Drug Ribbon
Homeland Security Ribbon
Search and Rescue Ribbon w/ prop
Find Ribbon w/ prop

Now we need an "Air Patrol" ribbon for everything else not covered?

I think were good in the ribbon department.  I thought putting a silver prop on the achievement ribbon would be perfect for an "Aerial Achievement Medal."  One ribbon doubling for two.

I believe the idea was started by someone in the NER. I just do the design work I dont initiate these types of things.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Major Carrales

Did we really need another "ribbon" thread?

MIKE, how about moving the posts on that matter to the UNIFORM thread.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454