Main Menu

Another one joining the RM

Started by jb512, June 09, 2008, 03:14:23 AM

Stonewall

Where is the TX Encampment?  If it's close I'll stop by.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on June 12, 2008, 04:10:31 AM
Where is the TX Encampment?  If it's close I'll stop by.

It's up north, just east of Dallas which is at least 5 hours from SA.  We're a pretty big state, but if you end up there your first beer is on me.  The link to it all is at:  www.texascadet.org

jb512

I took my oath of enlistment for the reserves on July 1st, and I should be headed to basic on September 16th.  I'll head from there to my two phases of tech school as a 1A2X1 Loadmaster on C-5s and end up with the 68th Airlift Sqdn at Lackland AFB.

For all the cadets out there, that Mitchell will follow you forever.  It's pretty cool that mine (and/or my 4 year JROTC certificate) helped me out 14 years later to get E-3 when I decided to enlist.

I had hoped to slide in under the radar in basic, but my recruiter is a former TI and said that being old and tall usually makes you stand out a bit... something about dorm chief or element leader.  I'm looking forward to it, and we'll see how it goes.

afgeo4

EEEEk! Dorm chief is the worst job on earth if you have it early on. No one can do anything right and you'll take the blame for all of it (while trying to get the hang of it yourself).

I'd recommend you stay low and quiet. Don't show maturity or leadership. Definitely not in first 4 weeks.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

Quote from: afgeo4 on July 11, 2008, 05:34:30 AM
EEEEk! Dorm chief is the worst job on earth if you have it early on. No one can do anything right and you'll take the blame for all of it (while trying to get the hang of it yourself).

I don't know.  I think there is a difference between a 19 year old dorm chief and a 32 year old dorm chief, regardless of when you're assigned the position.  As a 32 year old cop with 10 years experience, JB won't have an issue being in charge.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

I don't know about that...  ;)

I re-read my post and it looks like I'm saying that I'm looking forward to dorm chief and that's not it...

I'm looking forward to the experience and the AF, but I'm going to see how long I can stay under the radar.  It's only 6 weeks anyway and judging by some of my friends I've seen who made it through, it can't be that bad.   ::)

My biggest motivator is getting that flight suit, jumping on the plane, and seeing the world.

mikeylikey

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 11, 2008, 08:05:59 PM

My biggest motivator is getting that flight suit, jumping on the plane, and seeing the world.

When you are having a bad day.....remember that thought. 

Also, be the best at PT.  As an "older" guy, showing up the "kids" on the runs is a real motivator to not only you, but everyone else there. 

Expect some real good nicknames.

Finally, I highly recommend USAA! www.usaa.com for your everyday banking and insurance needs.  It is the largest military bank and insurance provider.  They are awesome.

Good luck!  The first few months of your military career are always your most memorable.     
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 11, 2008, 05:24:07 AM
I took my oath of enlistment for the reserves on July 1st, and I should be headed to basic on September 16th.

Ha!!!!I just found out that I'll be back at Lackland for 7-Level school (to get TSgt) on 2 Sep for two weeks.  I'll just miss you getting here.  I could have come over and watched you get your head shaved.
Serving since 1987.

Walkman

Late to the party, but Major Congrats JB!!!!!!!!!!!

jb512

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 11, 2008, 08:20:45 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on July 11, 2008, 08:05:59 PM

When you are having a bad day.....remember that thought. 

Also, be the best at PT.  As an "older" guy, showing up the "kids" on the runs is a real motivator to not only you, but everyone else there. 

Expect some real good nicknames.

Finally, I highly recommend USAA! www.usaa.com for your everyday banking and insurance needs.  It is the largest military bank and insurance provider.  They are awesome.

Good luck!  The first few months of your military career are always your most memorable.     

Thanks mikey.  I welcome any and all advice from you guys who have BTDT.

I've been running my arse off for the past couple of months and have about 8 weeks left till I get there so I hope to be in the front of the pack.

And yeah, I'm sure there will be no shortage of nicknames...

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on July 11, 2008, 09:40:06 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on July 11, 2008, 05:24:07 AM
I took my oath of enlistment for the reserves on July 1st, and I should be headed to basic on September 16th.

Ha!!!!I just found out that I'll be back at Lackland for 7-Level school (to get TSgt) on 2 Sep for two weeks.  I'll just miss you getting here.  I could have come over and watched you get your head shaved.

It might be worth sticking around for...

Stonewall

Actually, ironically enough, I just got an email from my unit training manager, I'm going to the course that starts 16 Sep, not 2 Sep.  So, I may just have to figure out a way to say hi.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on July 12, 2008, 09:30:06 PM
Actually, ironically enough, I just got an email from my unit training manager, I'm going to the course that starts 16 Sep, not 2 Sep.  So, I may just have to figure out a way to say hi.

I'll sure keep you updated on when and where, so maybe you can jump in and yell at me a bit with the others...

afgeo4

Quote from: Stonewall on July 12, 2008, 09:30:06 PM

Yeah... I remember when I was with the 323rd TRS and all the PJ's were doing their runs past our drill pad when we were doing PT. We kinda felt like little pups compared to them.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

Nah, I don't feel like a little pup.  I'm 10 to 15 years older than them and I can throw stuff at them from my 2nd floor room...plus, one of the PJ candidates is a close friend and former cadet of mine dating back to 1995.  I can still kick his arse.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Two words Kirt, Super Soaker.  You're a marksman, let's see how well you do with water! :clap:

jb512

I've got four weeks left...

My physical fitness is right where I want it to be and I'm tidying up loose ends around the house (got the boat and truck for sale for anyone interested  ;) )

Now if I can just keep my work buddies from trying to get me drunk all the time to celebrate me leaving...  They have every weekend planned from now until then.

DNall

We got a Capt over here that's a reserve flight PA on heavies in SA, former cadet that's crewing also. PM me & I'll put you in touch.

By the way, I did Army infantry basic at Ft Benning at 31, and OCS at 32. It's not that big a deal. Congrats & good luck!!

jb512

I'm glad for the encouragement and I'll be sending the pm...

Flying Pig

I am still looking into OSI as a IMA Reserve Enlisted Agent if anyone has any info on that.  My biggest bit of info I am looking for is that Im being told that FLETC is cut down for current Law Enforcement Officer, and others are telling me it is not.  And both bits of info are coming from people who should know! That is a difference between 16 or 12 weeks.  Im still in the "thinking about it" phase.  But with 8 years prior service it would be a good way to spend the last 12.  My big concern is my current Dept position.  As the airplane driver, it could cause issues packing up and leaving the plane on the ground for 4 months.  Although my Deputy job is safe, nothing says they have to hold any special assignments for you.   I could come back and find someone else sitting in my seat!

I do find it interesting that a FLETC is plus the OSI course is 16 weeks, however my basic Sheriff's academy was 28 weeks with 5 months of street training after the academy.  But from what I've read, the "First Responder" things are not covered such as pursuits, Domestics, vehicle stops.  Not many agents out there stopping cars.

JayBird.......

I was out at the academy a few weeks ago and was almost floored by the number of Sheriff Recruits ages, 21-25 who couldnt run a mile without walking and could barely do pushups.  So don't psych yourself out on your age.  Im 33 and could FAR out PT about 90% of the 40 man class.