Main Menu

Unit Names Too Long Etc?

Started by MIKE, June 17, 2005, 06:28:20 PM

Eagle400

One thing I'd like to see are Numbered Wings
(i.e. identified as numbers, rather than mere names). 

I forget them all, but some wings have numbers on the patch. 

What harm would there be, in having each CAP wing known by its number?

NC Hokie

Quote from: CCSE on May 08, 2010, 02:04:25 PM
One thing I'd like to see are Numbered Wings
(i.e. identified as numbers, rather than mere names). 

I forget them all, but some wings have numbers on the patch. 

What harm would there be, in having each CAP wing known by its number?

People don't know where the 32nd Wing is, but they do know where the North Carolina Wing is located.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

MIKE

The thing with numbered wings is you could remove the geographic boundaries and possibly merge up some smaller wings like we have here in New England.
Mike Johnston

Eagle400

Quote from: MIKE on May 08, 2010, 05:36:09 PM
The thing with numbered wings is you could remove the geographic boundaries and possibly merge up some smaller wings like we have here in New England.

Sounds like a plan Sir!

And on that note (though the inverse)... IMO one of the things California Wing needs to do, is split the state into 2 different wings.  I learned while on CAWG CAC, that the wing --despite it's great achievements-- is just too darn big for its own good. 

Command authority is not centralized enough, and because of that there are units that do as they please (and --in some cases-- even with the blessing of STAN-EVAL personnel.)  Just like the one in my own backyard.  :(

Their modus opperendae, for 12 years has been "do well on 'under-rug-swept' SUI's... And we'll just disregard the black and white altogether, off the record."

Though this is a separate topic, and if anyone wants to add... Please go ahead and PM me.  Thank You Kindly.     

mynetdude

wings already do have numbers, ORWG is 36 IIRC

IceNine

The numbers today are strictly used to identify resources.

Vehicles and A/C's specifically.

The first 2 identify the wing, the rest identify that specific resource.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mynetdude

Quote from: IceNine on May 08, 2010, 10:59:29 PM
The numbers today are strictly used to identify resources.

Vehicles and A/C's specifically.

The first 2 identify the wing, the rest identify that specific resource.

True concerning vehicles, but I'm not sure A/Cs are issued numbers based on wing isn't it the FAA That issues the tail numbers?

IceNine

Ever heard CAP Flight ##XX?

Or the current CAP ##XX

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

d. Aircraft Call Signs. CAP corporate aircraft will use "CAP-Flight" (pronounced "cap flight") at all times. Member-owned aircraft may also use the CAP-Flight call sign when on Air Force Assigned Missions (AFAM). Wings and regions will use the first two digits for their region/wing vehicle identity numbers, IAW CAPR 77-1, attachment 8b, as the first two digits of the call sign and will devise a suitable plan for assigning the second two digits. Controls must be present in this plan to prevent two aircraft from using the same call sign simultaneously. Wings with a zero as the first number of their vehicle identity number will drop the leading zero, therefore, their CAP-Flight call signs will be three digit calls. No other truncating of the call sign numbering is authorized, meaning both of the second two digits must be used

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mynetdude

oh yeah I forgotsorry about that

yeah I forgot the first two digits are the wing so yeah you are right, I was thinking of the new rule change when we switched from CAPFlight to CAP and they also told us to start using the last two numbers in the N*** sequence.

Cecil DP

Quote from: MIKE on May 08, 2010, 05:36:09 PM

When Ed Raymond was MAWG/CC, RIWG was referred to as our Southern Group
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eagle400

Quote from: mynetdude on May 08, 2010, 06:38:37 PM

Then why not just go with those?

?

mynetdude

Quote from: CCSE on May 09, 2010, 01:30:11 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 08, 2010, 06:38:37 PM

Then why not just go with those?

?

uh because the numbers still represent the geographical location, no need to do that and it makes it easier for people to understand how the charter number is put together instead of seeing xxx region xx wing and xxx squadron all in numbers they're going to think somebody has a wild like for extra long SSNs :D

Eagle400

Quote from: mynetdude on May 09, 2010, 01:45:12 AM
uh because the numbers still represent the geographical location,

But the majority are not visible, let alone identified.  For some reason...

Quote from: mynetdude on May 09, 2010, 01:45:12 AMno need to do that and it makes it easier for people to understand how the charter number is put together instead of seeing xxx region xx wing and xxx squadron all in numbers they're going to think somebody has a wild like for extra long SSNs :D

Understood, but can a compromise be found whereby wings can be identified by number... Yet not mix things up administratively, so-to-speak?

Bottom line: Air Force does it (Wings by Number)... No reason CAP can't do the same.   

mynetdude

Quote from: CCSE on May 09, 2010, 01:54:18 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 09, 2010, 01:45:12 AM
uh because the numbers still represent the geographical location,

But the majority are not visible, let alone identified.  For some reason...

Quote from: mynetdude on May 09, 2010, 01:45:12 AMno need to do that and it makes it easier for people to understand how the charter number is put together instead of seeing xxx region xx wing and xxx squadron all in numbers they're going to think somebody has a wild like for extra long SSNs :D

Understood, but can a compromise be found whereby wings can be identified by number... Yet not mix things up administratively, so-to-speak?

Bottom line: Air Force does it (Wings by Number)... No reason CAP can't do the same.   

I think your questions have already been asked and answered already cadet :) I need not say more.

ßτε

Wings in the USAF are numbered because are not geographically fixed in their location. Wings in CAP are fixed by geographic location. Every one should know where CAWG is, but if asked where 4th CAP Wing is located, very few would know.

a2capt

... and with all this repeater renaming, and possible call sign changing, and what not, thats exactly what they want to happen.

No one to know where you are located.

SarDragon

Up until the late '90s, wings were numbered, alphabetically, with the DC wing in the list as NatCap, and Alaska and Hawaii coming in at 51 and 52. The other extra wing is PRWG.

IMHO, the letters work better. I know where CA is; I didn't know where 04 was before I changed the system.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Daryl Morning

Our Squadron patch still has the old style designation 48161 (WI-161).  I joke it keeps us from needing to spend the $$ on the wing patch.  Our squadron patch mentions the Wing FREE!
2d L. Daryl Morning CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Eau Claire Composite Squadron(GLR-WI-161)
MRO, MS*, MSA*

a2capt

With the wings being numbered, I either slept that day.. or.. something, because I don't remember anything about us adding and dropping states. The flag people must have been really busy ;-)

What is the '62' on the WIWG patch for, then?  ;)

.. or 61, and 51. Seems to me like the wings may have been geographical not by state border and there were more than '50' (52) ..