San Francisco votes to Ban the Blue Angels

Started by Smokey, July 11, 2007, 02:26:46 AM

ZigZag911

SarMedTech, isn't it interesting how your college friends (and they are not alone in this) assume all military personnel share a single opinion.

Of course this is not so, any more than all Democrats, Republicans, Texans or Californians all think the same!

The military defends the freedom that enables each to hold his or her own opinion (no matter how silly it may be!)

Skyray

When I came home from beautiful french Indo-china in December 1967 San Francisco was a veritable gauntlet for returning veterans with soldiers in uniform being spat upon and otherwise baited.  I managed to come through in civilian clothes, one of the privileges of commissioned service, and when I arrived home in Mississippi I was asked by a friendly reporter what I thought of the demonstrations.  My answer was that their right to protest was pretty much the sum and substance of what I was fighting for.  I suspect, however, that if one of them had spat on me, you would have seen the Kent State headlines a few years early.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Skyray on July 12, 2007, 11:46:37 PM
When I came home from beautiful french Indo-china in December 1967 San Francisco was a veritable gauntlet for returning veterans with soldiers in uniform being spat upon and otherwise baited.  I managed to come through in civilian clothes, one of the privileges of commissioned service, and when I arrived home in Mississippi I was asked by a friendly reporter what I thought of the demonstrations.  My answer was that their right to protest was pretty much the sum and substance of what I was fighting for.  I suspect, however, that if one of them had spat on me, you would have seen the Kent State headlines a few years early.

Skyray:

I know the feeling.  I came into Travis AFB from Sunny South Vietnam (via Japan) and was on a bus leaving the main gate through a crowd of protesters.  We were ordered to keep the bus windows closed, and not to talk to, confront, gesture at, moon, or otherwise acknowledge the protesters.  One "Citizen expressing his first amendment rights" laid a hocker on my bus window.  I looked at that hocker all the way to Treasure Island.  Welcome home, Hero! 

The dude that spit at me is probably Nancy Pelosi's campaign manager now.  Or a member of the Board of Supervisors.
Another former CAP officer