Main Menu

Past Leadership

Started by SAR-EMT1, May 26, 2007, 06:49:01 AM

flyguy06

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 28, 2007, 02:06:36 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on May 27, 2007, 05:48:26 PM
Ok, A KC-135 ride and a F-15 ride. two totally different animals

True, an F 16 would be a lot better than a 135, but a fifteen year old cadet will be happy to get on any military plane.  My point was that our relationship with the rest of the Air Force family isn't helping CAP much.  You would think that they would want to take more advantage of the relationship to encourage cadets to transition to the active, guard or reserves.

On the senior, er Officer, side, you would think they would want to use the relationship to strengthen public opinion for funding support and such.

I agree. Our relationship used to be stronger with the Air Force. Thats the reason Ijoined CAP at the age of 15. I don tknow what happened,but we need to go back to it.

RAZOR

AAFES purchases should be only used for current members of the military and it's retirees.

ELTHunter

Quote from: RAZOR on May 28, 2007, 02:58:33 AM
AAFES purchases should be only used for current members of the military and it's retirees.

CAP members can buy uniform items through AAFES, it's in the regs.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

lordmonar

True, an F 16 would be a lot better than a 135, but a fifteen year old cadet will be happy to get on any military plane.  My point was that our relationship with the rest of the Air Force family isn't helping CAP much.  You would think that they would want to take more advantage of the relationship to encourage cadets to transition to the active, guard or reserves.

On the senior, er Officer, side, you would think they would want to use the relationship to strengthen public opinion for funding support and such.

You forget that the AD squadron is so busy these days that we simply do not have the time to do that sort of thing any more.

In 93 George Sr. Axed 100K from the USAF....but did not cut any of our missions.  And again we are loosing another 40K and I do not see any reduction in our missions.

In fact we are standing up new squadrons all the time.

So....Squadron X at Base Y simply does not have the time to figure out what CAP can do form them or what they can do to help with recruiting.

That does not mean there is nothing there....just that the AD squadron does not have the extra personnel and time to do the leg work.  But there is no reason why you (CAP) can't do a little research, cultivate some contacts and get some O-rides, tours, support and maybe even a mission or two.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

The current CAPR 147-1, dated 10 Feb '86, is very explicit on what CAP members can purchase, and the specific circumstances involved.

IIRC, the "buy almost anything" rules went away around 1965 or so, because we had some problems at McGuire in late '66 when the exchange folks were trying to overly restrict purchases because they were misreading the then new reg.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Quote from: lordmonar on May 28, 2007, 07:43:44 AM

You forget that the AD squadron is so busy these days that we simply do not have the time to do that sort of thing any more.

In 93 George Sr. Axed 100K from the USAF....but did not cut any of our missions.  And again we are loosing another 40K and I do not see any reduction in our missions.

So....Squadron X at Base Y simply does not have the time to figure out what CAP can do form them or what they can do to help with recruiting.

That does not mean there is nothing there....just that the AD squadron does not have the extra personnel and time to do the leg work.  But there is no reason why you (CAP) can't do a little research, cultivate some contacts and get some O-rides, tours, support and maybe even a mission or two.

I was speeaking of reserve or National Guard units. We used to give one cadet a year a ride in an F-15

Tags - MIKE

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on May 28, 2007, 02:45:38 AM
Quote from: ELTHunter on May 28, 2007, 02:33:51 AM
Use of the BX is one thing that has always chaffed me a little bit.  I know AAFES merchandise is subsidized by the DOD, but you would think they could allow CAP folks to purchase items as a little side benefit for being an active CAP member.  After all, doesn't CAP stand for "come and pay".  It would seem a small token of appreciation for what we do.

Technically, CAP can't purchase gear-type items like alcohol pens, protractors, LBE, flashlights, etc.  (I guess that you can buy a CamelBak, since it IS a uniform item)  At the very least, seeing as we use this stuff for AIR FORCE-assigned missions, we should be able to buy gear stuff. 

Also, when I went to buy shoes at MCCS (Fort Indiantown Gap), they told me that I couldn't buy DSCP shoes.  Huh?  I've been buying whatever is available in my size, DSCP or commercial, for years, but I've bought a heck of a lot of DSCP items at a lot of facilities throughout the country.  I'd never heard this before, nor have I seen it in an AR or anything.  Anybody know the deal with this??

Indiantown Gap.....is a useless dirt hole.  The MCSS is run by a contractor and has had many cutomer service issues in the past.  The DOD threatned to shut them down about 5 years ago, but they just paid some more fees and they were back in business.

I think the AF should type up a letter that states exactly what uniform itmes are to be purchsed by CAP members at any MCSS. 
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on May 28, 2007, 08:05:41 AM
The current CAPR 147-1, dated 10 Feb '86, is very explicit on what CAP members can purchase, and the specific circumstances involved.

IIRC, the "buy almost anything" rules went away around 1965 or so, because we had some problems at McGuire in late '66 when the exchange folks were trying to overly restrict purchases because they were misreading the then new reg.

I'm trying to find all the Army stuff, since AAFES isn't subject to CAP regulations.  I'm not finding it as written in the CAP reg.  Of course...the Army has quite a few regulations...

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on May 28, 2007, 04:41:43 PM

I'm trying to find all the Army stuff, since AAFES isn't subject to CAP regulations.  I'm not finding it as written in the CAP reg.  Of course...the Army has quite a few regulations...

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r60_10.pdf

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r60_20.pdf  THIS ONE  PAGE 5 addresses CAP MEMBERS
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 28, 2007, 04:47:55 PM
Quote from: JC004 on May 28, 2007, 04:41:43 PM

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r60_10.pdf

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r60_20.pdf  THIS ONE  PAGE 5 addresses CAP MEMBERS

Not the one they were on about at MCSS, but I'll look at these.  sheesh...

bosshawk

Did I miss something in this thread?  The title is about past leadership and now we are charging ahead at glacial speed on one more uniform chase.

Monitor, where are you when we need you?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

JC004

Quote from: bosshawk on May 28, 2007, 05:01:09 PM
Did I miss something in this thread?  The title is about past leadership and now we are charging ahead at glacial speed on one more uniform chase.

Monitor, where are you when we need you?

But this one is different.  It's about AAFES privileges, not the TPU.   :o

flyguy06

I thought this thread was about Leadership. How did it turn into a discussion about MCSS? I see where the priority is on here

MIKE

Just your typical CAP Talk topic drift...  :'(
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Quote from: MIKE on May 28, 2007, 08:20:21 PM
Just your typical CAP Talk topic drift...  :'(

Back on topic..............The past leadership was awesome, current leadership is sucky!  Hope this gets the thread going again!
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 28, 2007, 08:05:33 PM
I thought this thread was about Leadership. How did it turn into a discussion about MCSS? I see where the priority is on here

Apparently the AAFES separation is symbolic of CAP's overall move away from USAF.  Which has to do with part two of the original post.  All roads on CAPTalk lead to a uniform discussion and rants about CAP moving away from the Air Force.  But these are the two point of focus established for us by our National Board.  And THAT is about leadership.  This is all a reflection of bigger stuff here.

NEBoom

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 28, 2007, 02:28:17 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 28, 2007, 07:43:44 AM

I was speeaking of reserve or National Guard units. We used to give one cadet a year a ride in an F-15

Tags - MIKE

I think the ANG units are running into the same problem.  I recently saw a friend from my old ANG unit.  He said that since 9/11 and with the "Total Force Concept" they've been treated recently like an Air Force Detachment, as opposed to a separate Guard unit like in the old days.  So probably the same issues the AD has with supporting CAP are starting to affect the Guard units.

YMMV.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 28, 2007, 02:33:51 AM
Use of the BX is one thing that has always chaffed me a little bit.  I know AAFES merchandise is subsidized by the DOD, but you would think they could allow CAP folks to purchase items as a little side benefit for being an active CAP member.  After all, doesn't CAP stand for "come and pay".  It would seem a small token of appreciation for what we do.

CGAux members can get alot of things at the CG exchanges.
Then again the CG values its Aux more.

Has our NHQ staff ever done anything about this or is this just another black pit gone forever?

Here is another question: why did we make the CC/CAP-USAF a NON-voting member of the board?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

BillB

The NEC made the CC CAP-USAF a non voting member for one reason. The CC CAP-USAF requested it since there would be a conflict on voting for/against something, then taking the action to USAF or BoG.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

ELTHunter

My knowledge of past CAP leaders only goes back to the late Bobick command.  From the stories I've read here about other past CAP leaders, I can't see that any in recent history were great leaders.  Some seemed to be mainly caretakers.  Have there been any true "Leaders" since CAP began electing CAP members as National CC's?
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer