CAP Special Operations Squadrons

Started by Eagle400, April 24, 2007, 03:36:45 AM

flyguy06

I probably put my post inthe wrong place. I wasnt talking about this thread or the 122nd I know its fake and I know everyone on this thread is joking around.

I was referring to the actual CD mission.

JohnKachenmeister

We know, Flyguy.  But we were having so much fun, we didn't want to get serious.

...or DID we?
Another former CAP officer

JC004

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on April 30, 2007, 06:44:22 AM
Quote from: JC004 on April 30, 2007, 04:36:42 AM
Quote from: mclarty on April 30, 2007, 04:34:58 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on April 29, 2007, 09:21:36 PM
I think, if anything, people were joking about being "Special Operations".

Well, I must be special ops ... I mean, I'm in the Air Force and have a beret.  That makes me special ops, right?

The beret absolutely means special ops.  You are automatically special as soon as you put a beret on.   >:D

Are NBB Grads SF then?   :D

Yup.  Absolutely.  How else do you explain cadets' obsession with berets?  Interestingly enough, I never went through the beret stage, WIWAC.

Psicorp

Quote from: JC004 on April 30, 2007, 02:40:40 PM
Quote from: PhoenixCadet on April 30, 2007, 06:44:22 AM
Quote from: JC004 on April 30, 2007, 04:36:42 AM
Quote from: mclarty on April 30, 2007, 04:34:58 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on April 29, 2007, 09:21:36 PM
I think, if anything, people were joking about being "Special Operations".

Well, I must be special ops ... I mean, I'm in the Air Force and have a beret.  That makes me special ops, right?

The beret absolutely means special ops.  You are automatically special as soon as you put a beret on.   >:D

Are NBB Grads SF then?   :D

Yup.  Absolutely.  How else do you explain cadets' obsession with berets?  Interestingly enough, I never went through the beret stage, WIWAC.

WIWAC, we had a SM who thought it would be "neat-o" to have our color guard in berets.  The younger cadets were all "oh wow, cool!!", us older cadets quickly vetoed the idea.   It was bad enough that cadet officers, especially C/1st LTs and C/Captains, were often mistaken for AF Officers, we didn't want to be mistaken for Security Police too (our squadron was on an AF Base).
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

NIN

Before one of those sites disappeared, I did a "right click, save as.." on the some piccys:

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

alamrcn

A couple more patches from some Bad A$$ SOP CAP units...

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Flying Pig

Im not understanding the need to have a "Special Operations" patch on your sleeve, simply because your looking for weed.  PLEASE tell me we dont have civilians walking around with "Counter Narcotics Flight Crew" on their sleeve!?  Unless your carrying a weapon your asking for some serious trouble. If people are really wearing theses, your making yourselves look silly in front of your military and police counter parts.

And the skull and cross bones?  If these are just novelty patches than OK.  But I'd fall out of my chair if I actually saw someone wearing one of these.

afgeo4

What if there was a specially trained Disaster Relief emergency team whose members were scattered around the nation but trained together say once a year and who had full access of GA8s as needed? They would agree to mobilize on 24 hour notice to anywhere in the US? Perhaps CAP would pay for their mobilization airfare? Would that be a spec ops unit?
GEORGE LURYE

Flying Pig

No, that would be the National Guard.

Stonewall

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 30, 2007, 08:41:59 PM
No, that would be the National Guard.

I'd say it would be a FEMA task force, but that's just my experience.
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Ace, do you have this patch in your collection?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

sardak

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 30, 2007, 08:29:39 PM
What if there was a specially trained Disaster Relief emergency team whose members were scattered around the nation but trained together say once a year...Would that be a spec ops unit?
It would be a pretty ineffective unit.  Scattered around the country and train together once a year - no thanks.

Federal Type I and II IMTs, FEMA task forces, guard units, etc. don't come together from around the country and only train together once a year.  These are put together from various units, but they are from local (regional) areas and train together more than once a year.

Mike

flyerthom

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 30, 2007, 08:29:39 PM
What if there was a specially trained Disaster Relief emergency team whose members were scattered around the nation but trained together say once a year and who had full access of GA8s as needed? They would agree to mobilize on 24 hour notice to anywhere in the US? Perhaps CAP would pay for their mobilization airfare? Would that be a spec ops unit?

Covered by DMAT and DMORT. Anyone ever explored an MOU with these teams?
TC

Nick

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 30, 2007, 07:07:30 PM
Im not understanding the need to have a "Special Operations" patch on your sleeve, simply because your looking for weed.

Really. Following that ideal, all my narcotics detective friends would be "Special Ops Cops" (heh, that rhymes).

Quote from: shorning on April 30, 2007, 05:16:03 AM
Dang, I need a TDY to Lackland...

Yes. You do. It'd be a pleasure to host your after-hours entertainment while in the Greater San Antonio area... I've done my best drinking with SNCOs. :)  Just make it before July or after next February, eh?  Oh wait, you're in a COCOM, you can take TDYs whenever/wherever you want.  Sorry.

Edit: Okay, not including you, Kirt... my best drinking has been with SNCOs.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

shorning

Quote from: mclarty on May 01, 2007, 06:07:09 AM
Oh wait, you're in a COCOM, you can take TDYs whenever/wherever you want.  Sorry.

Um...no I'm not and no I can't.  No travel for me.  Not in my current job....

Flying Pig

Mclarty....

Thats exaclty my point.  CAP has people referring to themselves as Special Operations because they are looking for weed from an airplane.  When in fact, the cops on the ground, and in the air dont even consider themselves Special Ops.

DNall

Just in case anyone's curious, we spend the same amount of time in CAP as the guard does on their one wknd a month/two wks a year.

Counter drug is NOT special operations at all, especially looking for weed, which is mostly just flying around a sack of patatos agent. We do more non-drug related HLS here than we do CD, by far, and some of it is rather sensetive at times - according to the state & AF, not us. It's not a big deal though, I wouldn't go so far as calling it special operations. Someone above mentioned a special team that trained together to do high end stuff & have an extra committment to be available/active/deploy/etc. That's pretty much the case with our folks, but it's more routine HLS stuff than disaster.

I'm sure other states are doing some interesting stuff too. The problem is it's a tiny range of mission we're capable of & they only go to a tiny range of crews that have themselves politically placed with access to the work.

I'd like to get a highspeed disaster assessment team together & correctly resourced according to NIMS & w/ organic air & C4ISR. That's still a stretch to call it special operations, but then we're calling 15yos "rangers" so what the hell?

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: DNall on May 01, 2007, 08:16:56 AM
That's still a stretch to call it special operations, but then we're calling 15yos "rangers" so what the hell?

You beat me to it.  It's an adult version of the same misguided wannabe argument.  Just fly the mission, do the job, be proud, keep your mouth shut and forget the patches and parade uniform schtuff ferpetessake!

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

Flying Pig

Let your reputation among your peers be your patch.

I recall the line from the movie Tuskegee Airman......Lt. Col Benjamin O. Davis says, "We weren't assigned. We were requested". 

NIN

I thought this pic was interesting, considering my experience on this make, model & type.. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP