Monster winter storm could affect half the country

Started by ltcmark, February 01, 2011, 01:26:43 AM

ltcmark

They are saying that this monster storm has a potential of affecting up to 100 million people.  Post your storm status and let us know what you and your squadron are doing.  Please keep OPSEC in mind.

An update from central Indiana:  31 Jan, 20:15 local, very light freezing rain, all county schools closed for 1 Feb already.  Indiana Wing on alert.  At a press conference at noon, Governor Daniels said to be prepared for life without electricity for 4 days.

Eclipse

Nothing much going on here in NE IL.  My CD was driving in from INWG and sad traffic was bad on 65 with light freezing rain.

I don't anticipate a lot of activity here, we have snow plows and an upcoming Mayoral election.  By Friday afternoon things will be back to normal.

I have, however, promised the kids I would throw all the snow into one mountain so they can build a killer fort.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

South Texas is preparing for 20 degree weather...even grandpa is coming over from his house.  People are expecting snow and sleet.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NCRblues

The governor of Missouri has just declared a state of emergency, and has called out the national guard. I am currently on standby again, just after working a 12 hour shift  :D

In the greater st Louis area we already have about 250 homes without electricity, and many non-interstate roads are already closed or impassible.....maybe MO wing and Ks wing can get some missions out of this one....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Spaceman3750

davidsinn

Quote from: mashcraft on February 01, 2011, 01:26:43 AM
They are saying that this monster storm has a potential of affecting up to 100 million people.  Post your storm status and let us know what you and your squadron are doing.  Please keep OPSEC in mind.

An update from central Indiana:  31 Jan, 20:15 local, very light freezing rain, all county schools closed for 1 Feb already.  Indiana Wing on alert.  At a press conference at noon, Governor Daniels said to be prepared for life without electricity for 4 days.

Reading some of the email traffic today you'd think some of these people have never seen snow before. 12-24 inches is a fact of life on the SE side of the lake. Ya'll worry too much  ;D

Edit:
Forgot to mention: INWG Grp I is grounded until 1200EST Thursday unless an ES call comes down from wing. My Grp CC ran an ORM on the storm and didn't like what he saw.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BillB

The storm will have little effect on Florida, slight cooling for Thursday thru the weekend, and rain showers on Wednesday.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

NIN

Couple weeks back, a buddy of  mine was boasting on FB that FL was the only state in the US without snow someplace in it.  A friend of his said "No snow in Hawaii!" to which I posted a pic of the live feed from the top of Mauna Kea, where there is snow on the ground.  She quickly amended that to "Well, there's no snow down here on the beach!"

Frankly, I'd rather join her on the beach. Who's with me?  Maybe we can get a discount if we buy plane tix to Hawaii in bulk...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

bosshawk

48-50 and bright sunshine all week here in the mts of central CA.  I remember well the snow in the DC area, where I resided for 20 years.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

tsrup

high of 12 today, high of 2 tomorrow. 
+6 to 12 inches of snow that should let up by tomorrow.  Which is good, because we still have the last foot and a half that fell last time.  I have pathways shoveled in front of my house that are just as high as my waist at the lowest point.

plows don't run through this town worth a darn.

Schools closed, except for campus, which is irritating, but such is life.

Why oh why didn't I stay in Daytona... 
Paramedic
hang-around.

Daniel

Update from one of the north-most cadets in Missouri:

- Schools closed early today
- Schools canceled tomorrow
- Local walmart nearly ransacked for milk, as a shipment got stuck on the highway a few hundred miles down road
- Blizzard warning issued.
- Governor declares preemptive state of emergency
- National Guard activated and ready to provide assistance

All of this over a little ice, not even snow flakes yet.

I'm expecting them to give the order to start evacuating to Mexico at anytime now. (Day after tomorrow reference)

C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

indygreg

Quote from: davidsinn on February 01, 2011, 01:45:13 AM
Quote from: mashcraft on February 01, 2011, 01:26:43 AM

Reading some of the email traffic today you'd think some of these people have never seen snow before. 12-24 inches is a fact of life on the SE side of the lake. Ya'll worry too much  ;D

Edit:
Forgot to mention: INWG Grp I is grounded until 1200EST Thursday unless an ES call comes down from wing. My Grp CC ran an ORM on the storm and didn't like what he saw.

As quick as the ice built up this evening, I wouldn't want to consider flying either.

coudano

Quote from: Daniel L on February 01, 2011, 02:40:38 AM
I'm expecting them to give the order to start evacuating to Mexico at anytime now. (Day after tomorrow reference)

Mexico MO is *not* clear of the path of this storm :lol:

blackrain

Thundersnow/sleet in central OK as of 2145 local. Gov has National Guard on stby. Pretty much everything is shut down for Tuesday. With single digit highs predicted I'm betting Wed and Thurs. too.

Cheers
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

GTCommando

Forecast in SW Ohio looks fun. Freezing rain into tomorrow night, <1/4 in. of ice on power lines. Cruddy driving conditions. Squadron meeting canceled. Stocked up on basic foodstuffs, generator primed and ready. This could be a doozy. My prayers go out to anyone in the path of this thing.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

CAPC/officer125

Forecast anywhere from 1-2 to 6-10 inches depending on where you live in the Great State of Kansas. Also add the wind (30mph+), which could cause several feet of drifts, and wind chill. Most of the schools in the state called off tomorrow. As far as I know, at this moment, we aren't doing anything, however, I am usually one of the last to know.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

manfredvonrichthofen

Not much in southern Indiana. The roads are slicker than snot, and vehicles are iced over, not frost, but thin sheets of ice. But the rain has stopped for now. I just hope it remains that way.

manfredvonrichthofen

Do believe I spoke too soon, jinxed myself. It is now raining rather good.

Mustang

We in RMR are all snickering at your impending "monster" winter storm.

6-10" of snow is an average storm here, we've already had a number of them this winter and not only did schools NOT close, life went on pretty much as usual.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

NCRblues

Update from the St Louis area. Interstate 70 is closed at the Missouri river due to ice on the bridge. Fire rescue frequency's are overwhelmed with code tones. Major ice accumulations are occurring across the St Louis area due to the rivers feeding the storm. We are in for a long long couple days. I will be sleeping at the department tonight. OH, and the national weather service just upped our snow totals to 12-24 inch's.....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC