Main Menu

CAP History

Started by caplegalnc, April 26, 2009, 03:21:39 PM

caplegalnc

Is there a thread here to post sites with information about the CAP history?  It seems like we work the mission but fail to record what we did and how we did it.
Chief Justice
NC-019

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: caplegalnc on April 26, 2009, 03:21:39 PM
Is there a thread here to post sites with information about the CAP history?  It seems like we work the mission but fail to record what we did and how we did it.
Interestingly I've talked with my squadron commander specfically about our history (We don't even have a complete list of commanders from when the unit was started, nor where are meeting were held since we started).   
I'm considering becoming the unit's historian (but there's also the unit's pressing need for assistants in other areas) and at least going back (even through local press releases) to try to construct our history from when the unit was first formed.

Many groups (if you have), wings, & regions, really don't have anyone managing this program (and I don't think during unit SUI's it's even a required evaluated area).

So overall it's something that the vast majority of the CAP membership doesn't seem to be interested in!

RM

Smithsonia

There are history's and then there are HISTORY'S. The SUI gives you a good snapshot of the overall squadron's details, readiness, conformity, etc.

HISTORIES: are more of a narrative form and give you a deeper look at the outstanding portions of the squadron. The Color. The quotes. The buddies. The heroes, go getters, prominent figures, award winners, and do gooders. You can do either. I suggest you do both.

The sqdrn. historian's year end report is a good place to do this. In my case, I make notes at each meeting, do interviews and take pictures all year and when the year ender comes -- It's 6-8 tight pages with a couple of add-ons for things like Region Awards, which come after the year's history is due.

I also use the squadron quarterly webzine, bi-monthly Wing magazine, and CAP National organs as source material. I also generate a good deal of my own material. It's not so much working hard as being consistent.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

tarheel gumby

Quote from: Smithsonia on April 26, 2009, 04:33:31 PM
There are history's and then there are HISTORY'S. The SUI gives you a good snapshot of the overall squadron's details, readiness, conformity, etc.

HISTORIES: are more of a narrative form and give you a deeper look at the outstanding portions of the squadron. The Color. The quotes. The buddies. The heroes, go getters, prominent figures, award winners, and do gooders. You can do either. I suggest you do both.

The sqdrn. historian's year end report is a good place to do this. In my case, I make notes at each meeting, do interviews and take pictures all year and when the year ender comes -- It's 6-8 tight pages with a couple of add-ons for things like Region Awards, which come after the year's history is due.

I also use the squadron quarterly webzine, bi-monthly Wing magazine, and CAP National organs as source material. I also generate a good deal of my own material. It's not so much working hard as being consistent.

Ditto  I could not have said it better myself, I do many of the same things.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

rjfoxx

Has anyone ever written an accurate history (a book) about the Civil Air Patrol?  I have checked with the major commercial book stores and nothing was found in their databases.  Does such a book need to be written? I think that it does.  Please tell me what you think about this.
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

jimmydeanno

Quote from: rjfoxx on April 27, 2009, 12:08:35 PM
Has anyone ever written an accurate history (a book) about the Civil Air Patrol?  I have checked with the major commercial book stores and nothing was found in their databases.  Does such a book need to be written? I think that it does.  Please tell me what you think about this.

I would suggest Flying Minutemen and From Maine to Mexico, both great books.  There's also another one called Satellite Cadet Squadron written as more of a CAP cadet biography than a history of CAP.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

Although more of a phot history than a detailed history, check out the Turner Publishing Company web site -- they have the CAP history book published in 2007 by the CAP Historical Foundation. 

DesertFlyer

Check out the list of books in the senior-level checklist of CAPP 223, the specialty-track guide for Historian.  These are all (I believe) out of print, but you can find many in libraries or buy them used online.
Lt Col Dave Finley, CAP
Socorro Composite Squadron
New Mexico Wing

Semper Fidelis -- Semper Vigilans

rjfoxx

Thanks for the input.   It appears that only "From Maine to Mexico" is still available (from Amazon).  The newest book; "Civil Air Patrol History " written by Antonio Pinada in 2006 (Turner Publishing) is still in print, but the original printing is sold out
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

jimmydeanno

Quote from: rjfoxx on April 27, 2009, 07:29:35 PM
...written by Antonio Pinada in 2006 (Turner Publishing) is still in print, but the original printing is sold out

I'm pretty sure that he didn't write it...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Smithsonia

CAP history is long. CAP History is magnificent. CAP History is not kept up to date... not that history is always up to date. But, every few year we need historians to composite, collect, and write up our most recent history because our history must also become durable.

We suffer by letting these achievements get dusty. By not remembering. I know there are a few of us historians working... but, for the sake of the patrol... we could use a few more. Heck, we could use a lot more. Be a writer and historian. Next to finding live bodies and reuniting families, it's the best job in CAP.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

tarheel gumby

Thanks for the input.   It appears that only "From Maine to Mexico" is still available (from Amazon).  The newest book; "Civil Air Patrol History " written by Antonio Pinada in 2006 (Turner Publishing) is still in print, but the original printing is sold out
I have heard that there may be PDF copies of "The Flying Minutemen" out there, I wonder if any of my fellow CAP historians know of or have copies of it.
And as to books about the CAP, or many of the books listed in CAPP 223 many of them are rather hard to find as they are all out of print.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

tarheel gumby

Quote from: Smithsonia on April 27, 2009, 08:32:52 PM
CAP history is long. CAP History is magnificent. CAP History is not kept up to date... not that history is always up to date. But, every few year we need historians to composite, collect, and write up our most recent history because our history must also become durable.

We suffer by letting these achievements get dusty. By not remembering. I know there are a few of us historians working... but, for the sake of the patrol... we could use a few more. Heck, we could use a lot more. Be a writer and historian. Next to finding live bodies and reuniting families, it's the best job in CAP.
I second that.... this has been the second most rewarding experience that I have had with CAP. It has allowed me to reconect with some of my family history
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Smithsonia

The CB Colby book, I think it's called; This is the Civil Air Patrol is NOT worth buying.
Lot's of libraries have it in the children's section.
Basically it is a picture book for 8-10 year olds with captions. It'll take you less than 10 minutes to read and less than 30 minutes to memorize. I haven't read the Pinada book, but the others on the list are recommended not just be CAP but me too.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

AdAstra

Don't forget "Hero Next Door"/"Aerial Search" (Frank Burnam) and "Minutemen of the Air" (CV Glines and Gene Gurney).

These CAP histories come up all the time in the used book/out of print sections of Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com. "From Maine to Mexico" is still available from the CAP National Museum.
Charles Wiest

davidsinn

Quote from: tarheel gumby on April 27, 2009, 08:53:19 PM
Thanks for the input.   It appears that only "From Maine to Mexico" is still available (from Amazon).  The newest book; "Civil Air Patrol History " written by Antonio Pinada in 2006 (Turner Publishing) is still in print, but the original printing is sold out
I have heard that there may be PDF copies of "The Flying Minutemen" out there, I wonder if any of my fellow CAP historians know of or have copies of it.
And as to books about the CAP, or many of the books listed in CAPP 223 many of them are rather hard to find as they are all out of print.

I have it. It's 30 meg. It's on the cd that comes in the membership binder.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

tarheel gumby

Boy do I feel like a dope, had it all this time and didn't know it.  Thank you sir. :o :o
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

davidsinn

Quote from: tarheel gumby on April 28, 2009, 04:36:53 AM
Boy do I feel like a dope, had it all this time and didn't know it.  Thank you sir. :o :o

Don't worry LT. I've done some pretty boneheaded things myself. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

alamrcn

I haven't received a membership for awhile <g>, so this is news to me as well.

Is "Flying Minutemen" now possibly in the public domain?

I realize electronic publications can also be copyrighted, but this is such an unusual move on National's part.

Great idea, though! :clap:

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Smithsonia

The reason the Neprud book "Flying Minute Men" is available to all is because this was "Prepared for the Director Of Public Relations Dept. of the Air Force." According to the title page on my copy.

Meaning this was an organ (distributed institutional information tool) to incorporate the history of the Civil Air Patrol in to a thing of it's own. This was part of the official separation between the AF and CAP in '48 when CAP was incorporated. So the author had no lasting rights (at least none that I have discovered) it was a work for hire and belongs to the Patrol.

When last reprinted in 1988 it was listed as an Official Air Force History. United States AIr Force Washington, D.C. So in effect it is like our pamphlets and manuals.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN