Thinking about / working towards PJOC

Started by airplanes_fly, August 19, 2018, 04:24:10 PM

airplanes_fly

Hello everyone,
  I am a recent graduate out of mawg encampment already looking towards her future NCSAs, and the one that interested me the most was PJOC. Now, I know I'm not supposed to actually have a lot of information about PJOC because it's a "surprise" kind of experience but i figured I'd try my luck anyway. Most of what I've heard so far about PJOC is that they workout a lot and sometimes jump out of planes, but I think there might be a little bit more to it than that so I came here to ask what sort of things would happen on a day at PJOC, like:
   Do they drill?
   Do they have to go through room inspections?
   Do they actually jump out of planes?
   What are the requirements to pass the initial/final PT tests?
   How Much survival training is there vs. Pararescue training?
   What percentage of their day would be spent working out? (I've been told 6 hours so..)
   Do you have personal/social time?
   Is it the scream-in-your-face kind of training?
   What are the PJOC challenges most associated with being a girl? (Would I have to work harder to make it than the boys?)

And these are just of the top of my head, so if anyone can answer any questions feel free to respond or shoot me an e-mail, thank you all !!

GroundHawg

Google is your friend...

The only plane you will be jumping out of is if you hop aggressively from your commercial plane onto the jet bridge when you are in route.

TheSkyHornet

You will never jump out of an aircraft as part of a CAP activity. It's strictly prohibited for cadets to do so per CAPR 60-1.

airplanes_fly

Ok, thank You! I wasn't entirely sure about that one tbh

Username: unavailable

Drill: Yes, but minimal, and you won't be tested on it
Room inspections: More like shelter inspections, but yeah
Jump out of planes: Absolutely not
PT requirements: Google
Survival vs PJ training: More survival for the initial course, though there will be a lot of ropework and stretcher carry
How much PT: How good are you at listening to instructions and being on time?
Personal time: The only personal time you will have is meal time and right before lights out.
In-your-face training: We'll leave that one a surprise  ;)

As for going as a female, I wouldn't know. The standards for the PT tests will be lower, but you will be expected to perform all the same tasks as the guys during the week, so don't slack off in your physical preparation. There is a PJOC workout program floating around online somewhere, it would be in your best interest to find it and get to work.

The most important thing you'll learn there is teamwork. You have to rely on everyone else and everyone else relies on you. Know your stuff, do what you're told, and don't be a scurver. That's all there is to it.

TheSkyHornet

Being male or female doesn't apply in the field. That's the operating environment. Fitness expectations to perform the tasks won't change.

Username: unavailable

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 20, 2018, 02:11:25 PM
Being male or female doesn't apply in the field. That's the operating environment. Fitness expectations to perform the tasks won't change.

^ Hit the nail on the head. Don't be a burden to your team just because you don't feel like doing some extra PT in preparation. If it were up to me, the tests would reflect what you see in the field (I.e. not segregated by gender) but that's a discussion for another time.

TheSkyHornet

Caveat:
I am making no intention of assuming that someone wants to perform to a lesser standard because of their gender (i.e., female cadet hopes the standards are easier). If that ends up being the case, then I hang my head in disappointment.

Let's be honest: a lot of these types of opportunities are male-dominated/male-majority. That's just the nature of the biological and cultural differences between the genders. I greatly appreciate when a female steps up to kick butt and show the boys that she fits right in.

I've got a newer female cadet who has been really pushing to prove herself in CAP, and I hope to see her take these opportunities as she progresses to better herself (as any other cadet should) and to set the bar high for all cadets (male or female). But I refuse to encourage her "because she's a female." None of that means anything to me. You're either mentally in it, or you aren't.

Push hard. Fight hard.