Which comes first?

Started by footballrun21, December 24, 2005, 01:38:56 AM

footballrun21

which would you complete first, GTM 3 or GTM 1?
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

Eclipse

GT3 is your first step - the key here being that your first task is to get your gear together.

BTW - if you are considering pursuing a GT qual, you should have the GT manual which spells this all out.

It is available here: http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_052704140516.pdf

I would suggest buying one either from your unit or Vanguard as it is required on your person and you'll need it for sign-offs, etc.  The bookstore one is in a handy BDU-pocket-sized version and I would suggest getting one, and then going to Kinko's (or where ever) and having it spiral bound and the covers laminated.  If you are an active GTM you will beat the heck out of that book in the field.

If you have a Palm or WinCE PDA, etc., it's also handy to D/L it using Acrobat mobile.
In fact, with a 256Mb SD Card yo can carry ALL CAP reags and manuals on your PDA.

"That Others May Zoom"

kblanken73

This download looks like the Ground Team Memeber task Guide, which I recently purchased from CAPMART.  However, they mention in several places that more information is available in such-and-such chapter of hte Ground Team Member and Leader Reference Text.  Any idea what they are talking about?  javascript:replaceText(' ???', document.forms.postmodify.message);
Huh

Eclipse

Yes, I have that and will get it to you shortly (gotta open presents)....

(later that evening...)

The link:
http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_7102905590858541879.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

kblanken73

Hey thanks!  That's a great Xmas present! javascript:replaceText(' :)', document.forms.postmodify.message);
Smiley

Katherine J. Blankenburg
Senior Member (soon to be 2nd Lt)
Addison Eagles Composite Squadron
Addison (near Dallas) TX
TX-390

footballrun21

Whats the bookstore?  I've heard references of it, but what is it?
New Jersey Wing

Pylon

Quote from: footballrun21 on December 25, 2005, 09:19:18 PM
Whats the bookstore?  I've heard references of it, but what is it?

The Bookstore is the old name of what became CAPMart and is now run by VanGuard.  The CAP supply company, basically.  "The Bookstore" name has just stuck around for quite a while.

The Hock (www.thehock.com) also sells them, and since neither CAPMart nor Vanguard are operating now, I'd suggest trying the Hock for your regulations/pamphlets/paper CAP needs.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

footballrun21

The the manual on the hock, its that the pocket size?
New Jersey Wing

Pace

Quote from: footballrun21 on December 26, 2005, 02:06:04 AM
The the manual on the hock, its that the pocket size?
Broken and unreadable.  Say again, over.
Lt Col, CAP

footballrun21

Quote from: Eclipse on December 24, 2005, 02:14:59 AM
The bookstore one is in a handy BDU-pocket-sized version and I would suggest getting one, and then going to Kinko's (or where ever) and having it spiral bound and the covers laminated.

The GT manual from CAPMart is pocket-sized.  Is the one from the Hock shop pocket size too?
New Jersey Wing

MIKE

Quote from: footballrun21 on December 26, 2005, 04:50:55 PM
The bookstore one is in a handy BDU-pocket-sized version and I would suggest getting one, and then going to Kinko's (or where ever) and having it spiral bound and the covers laminated.

The GT manual from CAPMart is pocket-sized.  Is the one from the Hock shop pocket size too?

Yeah... BDU trouser pocket sized maybe... I keep mine in my field pack on my LBE.

The one the Hock offers should be the same item previously sold by the now defunct CAPMart.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

FYI - you can still place orders to CAPMart via telephone, and Vanguard will be up and running on 6 Jan 06.

I have about 10 extra GTM manuals if you want one from IL - cost + mailing.
PM me w/ your info.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pace

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2005, 06:19:54 PM
FYI - you can still place orders to CAPMart via telephone, and Vanguard will be up and running on 6 Jan 06.
Negative.  The CrAPMart website says they are no longer taking phone orders.
Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

My bad - changed since I checked last - also indicates Vanguard will be operational 3 Jan 06.

Also, the offer for the books extends to anyone who wants one.

"That Others May Zoom"

footballrun21

If you have a Palm or WinCE PDA, etc., it's also handy to D/L it using Acrobat mobile.
In fact, with a 256Mb SD Card yo can carry ALL CAP reags and manuals on your PDA.

Only problem is if you lose it or break it your screwed.
New Jersey Wing

Eclipse

Agreed, though I have them on my Treo more for quick reference, and of course shoudl I forget my GTM on a bivouac or mission - I can "cheat" w/ the electro-PDF.

Standard caveat applies here regarding any electronics, in the field. You risk losing the use of the device because of damage, weather, batteries,  etc.

GPS, PDA & Cels are great, but we all need to know how to use a compass, paper, and an HT radio as well.

"That Others May Zoom"