Best Place to Buy Uniforms???

Started by CAP-Dad, April 16, 2019, 09:19:18 PM

CAP-Dad

New CAP family here. Trying to outfit two children on a budget.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive place to buy ABUs?

Since the AF has transitioned to OCP should I just buy those?

Do the kids really need dress uniforms as well?

Will any soft sole black boots do or does the CAP require a specific boot?

Hopefully my kids will be attending encampment this summer. Anything else I should buy?

Thank you,

Jim Worrall
CAP-Dad

Slim

Don't buy OCPs!  Even though the Air Force is transitioning to them, it could be years before CAP is authorized to wear them.

As far as sources go, there are still plenty of outlets for ABUs.

The most obvious is CAP's sole source uniform supplier, Vanguard

Otherwise, your best bet is to let Google do the work.  Search for ABU uniforms, and shop around to see who has the best prices and sizes available.

Another option is see what  their unit might have available for uniforms.  Some squadrons have supplies of BDU uniforms available for issue; true, they're not the latest and greatest thing.  But, they are still authorized for a couple of years, and they'll outgrow them long before the phase out date. 

Same thing with blues uniforms.  They're going to need them eventually.  The squadron might be able to help out, and once they promote to cadet airman, they'll each receive a voucher to Vanguard to assist in buying the components of the blues uniform.  The voucher won't cover the whole cost, but will put a dent in it.

Boots have to be plain black, 8" tall, can have side zippers and nylon inserts.  I've seen boots that meet the requirements at Walmart for around $40.  Again, don't buy the cheapest boots you can find, but don't spend a ton of money on boots that they'll outgrow long before the boots wear out.  Shoes for blues just have to be plain, black leather dress shoes, also available at any shoe store.

Slim

BraveRifles19D

Don't buy OCP's as they are not authorized. If you have an airbase near you, you can purchase them there once you get a CAP ID. Also check local surplus stores and ebay. You also need a pair of polishable black boots. Combat or jungle boots are good and readily available online or at surplus stores. My son has a pair of Rocky jump boots.

Once cadets earn their first promotion, they get a credit for $100 at Vanguard for Blues. Check surplus stores for Blues as well. I picked up 7 shirts and 3 pants for $2 once.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: Slim on April 16, 2019, 09:36:36 PM
The most obvious is CAP's sole source uniform supplier, Vanguard

This is your best / easiest bet, and where vouchers will come from.

If you find something on eBay or a surplus store that works, great, otherwise just use VG and move on.

Once they are more invested and involved other sources may open up.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: CAP-Dad on April 16, 2019, 09:19:18 PM
New CAP family here. Trying to outfit two children on a budget.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive place to buy ABUs?

Hi Jim,

So, couple things on inexpensive ABUs. Depending on sizes, Vanguard *actually* has decent prices on ABUs.

Another place to get them is Ebay, but caveat emptor there. I have good luck, but I know what sizes I'm buying and how military sizes run.  But you can find ABUs starting to flood the Ebay market as Airmen will be getting rid of ABUs during the transition to OCP. And, if you're careful/lucky, you can get them for $15-20 for each part, which can be cheaper than Vanguard.

QuoteSince the AF has transitioned to OCP should I just buy those?

Negative. OCPs are not authorized for CAP.

QuoteDo the kids really need dress uniforms as well?

They need class B blues as their "minimum basic uniform." Thats the short sleeve shirt, and blue trousers with a flight cap. Anything beyond that is really unnecessary at this point. Plus you will get a $100 voucher from CAP when you cadets pass  Achievement One (Curry Award). Male cadet blues run about $160, so its still going to cost about $60 with the voucher, for example.

QuoteWill any soft sole black boots do or does the CAP require a specific boot?

8" tall black combat boots. I'd be cautious about "soft sole," but certainly "secret sneaker" boots have been popular for years.

These are acceptable:

(in warmer climes)

These are not:

(definitely not)

QuoteHopefully my kids will be attending encampment this summer. Anything else I should buy?

A 2nd set of ABUs for sure. Maybe an ABU goretex jacket  (again, ebay is helpful here. I got my ABU goretex for $22 by trolling Ebay for awhile. I was in no hurry). A 2nd set of boots, a 2nd hat, a 2nd belt, etc, are really not needed.  A set of black oxfords for the blues are handy too, but if you have decent plain-toed boots, they work fine with blues is acceptable until they've been in awhile and demonstrated their commitment (and, their feet stop growing!)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

BraveRifles19D

And write their names in everything, especially their covers.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

CAP-Dad

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the input. Unfortunately there are no Air Force bases in this region and the unit does not seem to have any spare ABU or BBU in my children's sizes.

We are close to Fort Knox. Would an Army base or Army surplus store have Air Force uniforms?

Thank you,

Jim Worrall
CAP-Dad

Eclipse

Quote from: CAP-Dad on April 17, 2019, 03:05:43 AM
We are close to Fort Knox. Would an Army base or Army surplus store have Air Force uniforms?

Base, not likely. Surplus, maybe, but probably not much.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Here, call these folks and ask:

AAFES Fort Knox
Military Clothing
(502) 942-4254
Mon-Fri 0900-1800
Sat 1000-1700
Sun Closed
Sun (Primary UTA Sundays) 1000-1700

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/exchange-stores/United%20States/KY/Ft%20Knox/Ft-Knox--1072010

V/r
Spam

GroundHawg

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the input. Unfortunately there are no Air Force bases in this region and the unit does not seem to have any spare ABU or BBU in my children's sizes.

Thank you,

Jim Worrall
CAP-Dad

There is a very active Air National Guard base in Louisville, so there is surplus in your area. Worst case scenario, you can take a trip to the USAF Museum up at WPAFB and go the the AAFES, Airmans Attic, or off base stores while you are up there. I am curious as to why no one from 039 has told you all of this information?

Slim

Quote from: GroundHawg on April 17, 2019, 12:31:50 PM

Thank you,

Jim Worrall
CAP-Dad

There is a very active Air National Guard base in Louisville, so there is surplus in your area. Worst case scenario, you can take a trip to the USAF Museum up at WPAFB and go the the AAFES, Airmans Attic, or off base stores while you are up there. I am curious as to why no one from 039 has told you all of this information?

Keep in mind that based on this thread, ABUs are getting scarce at AFB clothing stores.  There's a post from Stonewall on that thread that ABUs are very limited at Wright-Patt.  I also had first hand knowledge that-as of two years ago-the Airman's Attic at Wright-Patt had been placed off limits to CAP.  Not sure if that changed or not.  The base thrift shop might be an option if you can find out when it's open.

Slim

GroundHawg

Quote from: Slim on April 17, 2019, 08:03:53 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on April 17, 2019, 12:31:50 PM

Thank you,

Jim Worrall
CAP-Dad

Keep in mind that based on this thread, ABUs are getting scarce at AFB clothing stores.  There's a post from Stonewall on that thread that ABUs are very limited at Wright-Patt.  I also had first hand knowledge that-as of two years ago-the Airman's Attic at Wright-Patt had been placed off limits to CAP.  Not sure if that changed or not.  The base thrift shop might be an option if you can find out when it's open.

Had no idea as I have always used my military ID...  Booooo

Eclipse

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=22276.0

Apparently some units, led in some cases by Tactical Assault Moms®, were cleaning the places out.

"Tactical Assault Mom®" and "TAM®" are registered trademarks of eClipseco Mining and Heavy Machinery Consortium.  All Rights Reserved.  Let eClipseco service all of your rhetoric and propaganda needs!

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Tactical Assault Moms? You always surprise us with these things! ROFL
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Tactical Assault Moms, a close relative to Hockey Moms. >:D

Luis R. Ramos

If there are Tactical Assault Moms, what are dads? Strategic Assault Dads?

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Angus

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on April 16, 2019, 09:37:22 PM
If you have an airbase near you, you can purchase them there once you get a CAP ID. Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

That's not always true.  With DBIDS at more and more installations not all members are given base access unless they have a true need for it. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

PHall

Quote from: Angus on April 18, 2019, 08:19:38 PM
If you have an airbase near you, you can purchase them there once you get a CAP ID. Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

That's not always true.  With DBIDS at more and more installations not all members are given base access unless they have a true need for it.

CAP members are authorized users of the Military Clothing section of the Exchange.
Authorized by both an AFI and a CAPR.

MSG Mac

Quote from: PHall on April 18, 2019, 10:38:41 PM

CAP members are authorized users of the Military Clothing section of the Exchange.

If you have someone with a military ID, ask them to get you onto the base.

If there is a CAP unit on base ask them to place you on the access list. If you have someone with a Military ID ask them to chaperone you onto the base.
[fixed quote]
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Angus

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 18, 2019, 11:16:21 PM
Quote from: PHall on April 18, 2019, 10:38:41 PM

If you have someone with a military ID, ask them to get you onto the base.

If there is a CAP unit on base ask them to place you on the access list. If you have someone with a Military ID ask them to chaperone you onto the base.
[fixed quote]

Exactly, just because we are authorized to use Military Clothing doesn't give us base access.  I wish it did though it would make things easier though for so many members. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030