Cadet PAO

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, October 17, 2018, 12:13:43 PM

Color Guard Rifleman

I am the cadet PAO and are required to make a squadron newsletter. No one has done one for our squadron so there is no template. Can anyone help?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

TheSkyHornet

I'll be that guy...

I'm personally not a fan of squadron newsletters because of the amount of admin time that goes into making them and trying to solicit people to provide their input.

Before you worry about a template: what is the newsletter going to be used for? What information do you want to communicate?

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 17, 2018, 04:50:10 PM
I'll be that guy...

I'm personally not a fan of squadron newsletters because of the amount of admin time that goes into making them and trying to solicit people to provide their input.

Before you worry about a template: what is the newsletter going to be used for? What information do you want to communicate?

Monthly promotions, awards, upcoming events, and what happened during that month (What happened during meetings)
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

TheSkyHornet

Awards and promotions would be best shared on social media.

Upcoming events should be on a unit calendar accessible to members as well as cadets' parents (website, training schedules, etc).

Meeting recaps can easily be shared on social media as well with accompanying photography.

I think a newsletter is the wrong route to go. You're get more people actually reading your key items through other media platforms than an email blast to everyone with a PDF file. It's a lot of extra work in addition to things that should already be done.

Your unit's last Facebook post was on September 4. That's a month-and-a-half ago. Before that it was July 8. Get your Facebook page caught up to speed since that's your biggest community outreach and form of communication to the 290 people that clicked "Like" before you worry about newsletters that only 10% of your audience will even glance at. There are tools at your disposal that the Public Affairs team should be managing that aren't being managed.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 17, 2018, 04:58:38 PM
Awards and promotions would be best shared on social media.

Upcoming events should be on a unit calendar accessible to members as well as cadets' parents (website, training schedules, etc).

Meeting recaps can easily be shared on social media as well with accompanying photography.

I think a newsletter is the wrong route to go. You're get more people actually reading your key items through other media platforms than an email blast to everyone with a PDF file. It's a lot of extra work in addition to things that should already be done.

Your unit's last Facebook post was on September 4. That's a month-and-a-half ago. Before that it was July 8. Get your Facebook page caught up to speed since that's your biggest community outreach and form of communication to the 290 people that clicked "Like" before you worry about newsletters that only 10% of your audience will even glance at. There are tools at your disposal that the Public Affairs team should be managing that aren't being managed.

I agree with this. Do you think it would be the right thing to let them know I feel like this is what should be done?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 17, 2018, 05:22:57 PM
I agree with this. Do you think it would be the right thing to let them know I feel like this is what should be done?

Yes.  The Senior-Member PAO is actually the OPR for social media accounts, so that it would be well within
your role a C/PAO to make suggestions like this.

As much as I disdain FB and it's ilk, if you're going to be in there, it should be current, and most squadrons
should be updating at least weekly, if not more.

A simple photo of every meeting shows you're doing "something".

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Our last 10 Facebook updates:

Oct 13 - Shared a DoD post about Hurricane Michael
Oct 12 - Birthday shout out
Oct 11 - Shared a CAP post about CAP flying
Oct 10 - Photos from squadron bowling night
Oct 09 - Shared a USAF Thunderbirds post about air shows
Oct 09 - Birthday shout out
Oct 08 - Location change PT
Oct 07 - Photos from Wing Flag retirement
Sep 30 - September promotions recap
Sep 23 - New cadet training class

So a few lags up there, but this is a major media interface between the unit and public. When there isn't a lot to share directly from the unit, we try to keep some link with CAP National, Wing, the Air Force....keep it busy.

What's good with Facebook is you can schedule posts for specific dates and times....so I put a promotion recap up on the last day of each month in addition to the photos from the individual promotions posted throughout the month.

We have another Assistant PAO (which I'm an Asst) who handles newspaper articles when cadets hit milestones (and she sends them to the cadets' schools as well to be in school newsletters). Our Commander (who serves as the Primary PAO) puts up holiday posts on behalf of the unit, and shares some AE stuff here and there. Our Cadet PAO hasn't done the greatest job with PA stuff, so we kinda pulled that back off of her so she focuses on internal unit functions since she has a dual role.

Whatever you decide to to: Keep it current, accurate, and professional.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 17, 2018, 07:04:48 PM

So a few lags up there, but this is a major media interface between the unit and public. When there isn't a lot to share directly from the unit, we try to keep some link with CAP National, Wing, the Air Force....keep it busy.

What's good with Facebook is you can schedule posts for specific dates and times....so I put a promotion recap up on the last day of each month in addition to the photos from the individual promotions posted throughout the month.

We have another Assistant PAO (which I'm an Asst) who handles newspaper articles when cadets hit milestones (and she sends them to the cadets' schools as well to be in school newsletters). Our Commander (who serves as the Primary PAO) puts up holiday posts on behalf of the unit, and shares some AE stuff here and there. Our Cadet PAO hasn't done the greatest job with PA stuff, so we kinda pulled that back off of her so she focuses on internal unit functions since she has a dual role.

Your group commander approves.  :clap:
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Paul Creed III on October 18, 2018, 12:34:03 AM

;D

Color Guard Rifleman

My group commander is Major David W. Hast.
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 18, 2018, 03:38:38 PM

I am TheSkyHornet's group commander.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Paul Creed III on October 18, 2018, 03:43:36 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 18, 2018, 03:38:38 PM

I am TheSkyHornet's group commander.

I'll see myself out then.  :P
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Color Guard Rifleman

My question wasn't really answered. Does anyone have a template for a squadron newsletter?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

etodd

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 23, 2018, 01:46:13 PM
My question wasn't really answered. Does anyone have a template for a squadron newsletter?

Just read the whole thread, and after all the WONDERFUL advice, you then went back to square one. Had me rolling on the floor. Thanks, I needed that.  ;D
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

RiverAux

Facebook is in no way a viable replacement for a squadron newsletter due to the simple fact that the overwhelming majority of your squadron members will not see the overwhelming majority of posts that you make due to Facebook's algorithm and the fact that many members do not use Facebook.  You're lucky if 10% o those that have even bothered to "like" your page see any particular post. 

If you want something to be seen by everyone in your squadron do not think that Facebook is that route.  It can be passably useful for external public affairs but it takes a while to build up your audience up to a meaningful size. 

Email is still the only generally reliable way for getting out important news and announcements to everyone. 

TheSkyHornet

You're lucky if 10% read your newsletter...

People just don't read newsletters, just as they tend to skim over emails.

Policy by email is atrocious and should rarely be used, except to convey or pass along materials discussed in further detail through other means. It's okay to try to use it as a backup for "Nobody can say they didn't get the memo, because they got it in their email," but you should never anticipate that it's something that's going to be effective nor believe people read it.

And I didn't suggest Facebook was an alternative. I was suggesting that Public Affairs' efforts are usually better spend on social media outreach than writing newsletters.

Spam

CAPR 60-1 1 FEBRUARY 2018

4.3.2.1. Activity Calendars. Units will maintain a web-based calendar listing all cadet events the unit plans to host or participate in during the coming year, updating the calendar throughout the year as necessary. At a minimum, all special events (except events that are small in scope and involve only a small portion of the unit) should be announced at least 2 weeks in advance to allow families time to plan accordingly.

CAPR 60-1 ATTACHMENT 1 1 FEBRUARY 2018
Attachment 1 - COMPLIANCE ELEMENTS

SUI
Tab B-1
Compliance Question:
Does the unit offer at least one "Saturday" activity per month, on its own or in cooperation with another unit?
How to Verify Compliance:
Visit unit website and review web calendar [EMPHASIS ADDED]

R/s
Spam

RiverAux

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 23, 2018, 10:24:07 PM
You're lucky if 10% read your newsletter...
Quotejust as they tend to skim over emails.

But at least 100% (or very close to it) will actually receive it.  And, if you've got a mildly sophisticated system you can track whether or not they are at least opened. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 24, 2018, 02:46:24 AMAnd, if you've got a mildly sophisticated system you can track whether or not they are at least opened.

Google Analytics is a harsh mistress...

"That Others May Zoom"