How many of you Airmen and Sergeants wear the service coat? (Not color guard)

Started by jfkspotting, September 19, 2017, 11:33:40 PM

jfkspotting

I've always chuckled at airmen and sergeants that wear the service coat. Is it just an extra article to differentiate yourself from the unit?

Is there any upside at all? How many of you NCO's and soon-to be NCO's wear it?

SarDragon

I used to wear mine all the time. When it was blues weather, it was usually cool enough to need it. We wore tan stuff in the summer time.  :D bbbbb
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Airplane girl

I wore mine at squadron meetings when I was a first sergeant (now I'm a C/2d Lt). All of the cadets who were on staff wore it, including NCOs. I prefer wearing the blues with the service coat because I get cold really easily and the place where my squadron used to meet was always really air conditioned.

Max

I'm a Cadet NCO and currently the First Sergeant at my unit. I don't wear the service coat (and probably won't until I'm an officer) simply for cost and aesthetic reasons. The service coat in my size is a little hard to find, which means an AAFES is the best way for me to acquire , however that's a little more than I would like to spend on uniforms. After I earn my Mitchell I would just have to buy another anyways but I accommodate eapulets. Aesthetically, I think the current service costs push the uniform from "Military" to "Business Suit".  I prefer the long sleeve blues shirt and tie in colder weather and open collar short sleeve in the summer. 

Sorry for the long winded answer, but in conclusion, no, I do not wear the service jacket.

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

kwe1009

Cadets, before deciding to wear the service coat to a regular meeting or any other non-formal event, keep these things in mind:

1. The service coat is not worn by the military as a daily wear item.  It is only for special occasions and ceremonies.  The only time you see people wearing the service coat outside of special occasions and ceremonies is by actors on TV/movies.
2. What message are you sending to the cadets under you when you are wearing uniform items that they don't have?
3. Are you trying to set yourself apart or above everyone else?
4. Is there really a need for you to wear the service coat?
5. If you are wearing it because it is cold, there are cheaper options (sweater and lightweight jacket).

You can also apply this to wearing the service cap (Bus driver hat) for cadet officers.  I'm not saying don't wear it, but you should keep these things in mind.  There is a time and place for this uniform and usually a squadron meeting is not it.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 20, 2017, 01:36:02 PM
Cadets, before deciding to wear the service coat to a regular meeting or any other non-formal event, keep these things in mind:

1. The service coat is not worn by the military as a daily wear item.  It is only for special occasions and ceremonies.  The only time you see people wearing the service coat outside of special occasions and ceremonies is by actors on TV/movies.
2. What message are you sending to the cadets under you when you are wearing uniform items that they don't have?
5. If you are wearing it because it is cold, there are cheaper options (sweater and lightweight jacket).

You can also apply this to wearing the service cap (Bus driver hat) for cadet officers.  I'm not saying don't wear it, but you should keep these things in mind.  There is a time and place for this uniform and usually a squadron meeting is not it.

This.

If the UOD is Class B, everyone wears Class B.
If the UOD is Class A, those with the service coat, wear the service coat; those without, wear the next lower combination.

It's a misconception that "those in charge" wear a "better uniform." We had seniors in our unit, non-military, that thought wearing Class As made them look sharp and stand out as an officer. That mindset was remedied. They didn't know any different.

We designate on our training schedules the specific UOD combination, and have guidance on the appropriate of each so when people plan for an activity, they understand the appropriate uniform that they should put onto the schedule.

Personally, if I had a service coat, I'd wear in an a Class A scheduled UOD. I have the lightweight, so that's my substitute, which I'll wear with Class Bs as my cold weather jacket. Too much $$$ for me to shill out for something I'm going to rarely wear.

Max

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 20, 2017, 06:58:48 PM

This.

If the UOD is Class A, those with the service coat, wear the service coat; those without, wear the next lower combination.

It's a misconception that "those in charge" wear a "better uniform." We had seniors in our unit, non-military, that thought wearing Class As made them look sharp and stand out as an officer. That mindset was remedied. They didn't know any different.

We designate on our training schedules the specific UOD combination, and have guidance on the appropriate of each so when people plan for an activity, they understand the appropriate uniform that they should put onto the schedule.

Personally, if I had a service coat, I'd wear in an a Class A scheduled UOD. I have the lightweight, so that's my substitute, which I'll wear with Class Bs as my cold weather jacket. Too much $$$ for me to shill out for something I'm going to rarely wear.

Unfortunatly rumors such as "Cadets on executive staff should wear Class A's" spread like wildfire once introduced to a unit. I agree with you- Class Bs and one of the jacket options is adequate for meetings branded as Class B. The reason why I stated as an officer my opinion may change is because I'll be eligible to attend more functions where the Class A UOD is specified, not due to being in charge.

Plus, like I said, I prefer Class Bs  ;)

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Max on September 20, 2017, 07:24:49 PM

This.

Unfortunatly rumors such as "Cadets on executive staff should wear Class A's" spread like wildfire once introduced to a unit. I agree with you- Class Bs and one of the jacket options is adequate for meetings branded as Class B. The reason why I stated as an officer my opinion may change is because I'll be eligible to attend more functions where the Class A UOD is specified, not due to being in charge.

I, personally, hate "dressing up." I'd rather be in fatigues, not to mention it provides more opportunities to "train" than to "learn."

ABUs (or BDUs) are just as "professional" of office attire if it's meeting the intent of the activity, or activities of the day. I don't like seeing a mix/match of uniforms in one place. I see a lot of recruiting functions, or even work details, where people try to "have a variety" of uniforms to show them all off for the sake of awing the public and enticing prospective applicants. I can't stand that. If you plan to get dirty in any way, plan to be in and out of the building numerous times, and/or plan to be working with your hands more than sitting still at a desk having board meetings, wear your field uniform. It's entirely appropriate.

And you don't need to dress up to be dressed appropriate for a classroom. A class should be casual in nature, hence Class Bs. If you're meeting with the public, on official business, or holding a formal ceremony, wear Class As.

I've seen a number of units that refuse to hold promotion or change of command ceremonies in ABUs. They think it's unprofessional. Quite the contrary. If you're gathering everyone to show up just for the sole purpose of holding a ceremony, maybe even a "cocktail party" (social) after, and that's all it is, dress up. If you're holding a promotion at the start or end of a training day, wear the UOD.

The uniform does not dictate the activity. The activity dictates the uniform.

Toad1168

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 20, 2017, 08:59:39 PM
Quote from: Max on September 20, 2017, 07:24:49 PM

This.

I, personally, hate "dressing up." I'd rather be in fatigues, not to mention it provides more opportunities to "train" than to "learn."

ABUs (or BDUs) are just as "professional" of office attire if it's meeting the intent of the activity, or activities of the day. I don't like seeing a mix/match of uniforms in one place. I see a lot of recruiting functions, or even work details, where people try to "have a variety" of uniforms to show them all off for the sake of awing the public and enticing prospective applicants. I can't stand that. If you plan to get dirty in any way, plan to be in and out of the building numerous times, and/or plan to be working with your hands more than sitting still at a desk having board meetings, wear your field uniform. It's entirely appropriate.

And you don't need to dress up to be dressed appropriate for a classroom. A class should be casual in nature, hence Class Bs. If you're meeting with the public, on official business, or holding a formal ceremony, wear Class As.

I've seen a number of units that refuse to hold promotion or change of command ceremonies in ABUs. They think it's unprofessional. Quite the contrary. If you're gathering everyone to show up just for the sole purpose of holding a ceremony, maybe even a "cocktail party" (social) after, and that's all it is, dress up. If you're holding a promotion at the start or end of a training day, wear the UOD.

The uniform does not dictate the activity. The activity dictates the uniform.

:clap: :clap: :clap:  There was a time, and in some circles, it still is a thought that you have to wear blues to look professional.  If the ABU/BDU uniform is worn properly and with respect, it is just as professional.  Look at the military where the field uniforms are the common uniform.  Ceremonies and formal events warrant blues.  But everyday activities, to include PDO classes, field uniforms are just fine. 
Toad

J2H

Active AF we wore the blues shirt and pants if we were wearing "Blues."  If it was "Service Dress" it added the jacket... I've only worn the service coat a few times on AD... 1) Tech School graduation, Airman Leadership School Graduation, and when one of my troops got in trouble I had to wear it to see the Commander.  Now it sits pretty in my closet with all the bells and whistles attached.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

lordmonar

This +1.

The joke on Active Duty was, when you saw one of your squadron mates in service dress was to ask "What did you do wrong" because the only time you ever wore service dress was for things like formal promotion ceremonies, award ceremonies, Of The Quarter/Year boards, or having to go see the commander (in a bad way).

One of the reasons why the chief of staff instituted Blues Mondays (back in the day) was because we never wore blues let alone Service Dress.

Having said that....I always let my cadet staff (when I was a commander) to set their own UOD policy.   If they wanted to wear service caps and service coats......I let them.   I just made sure that they were all the same.  That is they as a group had to figure out how to get the new LT a service cap.  They as a group, had to figure how to get the new First Sergeant a service coat.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pace

I used to wear mine as a cadet for special functions (promotions, boards, awards, special guest speakers, etc). I also wore mine when it was cold outside. Why? Because I already owned a service coat, and the wind breaker was expensive for a high school student.

Lt Col, CAP

Sapper168

Quote from: jfkspotting on September 19, 2017, 11:33:40 PM
I've always chuckled at airmen and sergeants that wear the service coat. Is it just an extra article to differentiate yourself from the unit?

Since we do not have Airmen ranks in CAP I have never actually seen an Airman ranked person in CAP in any uniform.

As an NCO I wear mine whenever service dress, class A or B is prescribed since the tattoo policy keeps me from wearing any short sleeves. 
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

PHall

Quote from: Sapper168 on February 26, 2018, 10:40:09 PM

Since we do not have Airmen ranks in CAP I have never actually seen an Airman ranked person in CAP in any uniform.

As an NCO I wear mine whenever service dress, class A or B is prescribed since the tattoo policy keeps me from wearing any short sleeves.

We have a ton of Cadet Airmen in CAP and that's what the OP, who is a cadet, was referring to.

Sapper168

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Hutchison_the_NCO

I'm a C/SSgt (soon to be C/Tsgt) and I've had a service coat since I was an airman. I bought it to go to my squadron's ball, and I only wear it when its cold.

Fester

Quote from: Sapper168 on February 26, 2018, 10:40:09 PM

If you want to get technical, we are ALL Airmen.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996