Main Menu

New Van

Started by etodd, March 12, 2021, 12:09:23 AM

etodd

Our squadron just got a brand new 12 passenger van!  :)

As with many CAP vans, they can sit for days or even weeks between uses. So we were going to put in the hangar with the airplane (lots of room, could hold three airplanes and two vans), in order to keep it out of the weather and be all nice and shiny for years.

But Wing said no.  Has a GPS tracker on it, so keep it outside. More important for someone to be able to make sure its still sitting in the same place for weeks, than to keep it from rusting. LOL

I mean, if someone stole it, then it "would" be seen going somewhere. Just thought it was amusing. Maybe we can throw a tarp over it.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

arajca

Interesting. It's news that they're putting GPS trackers on them. I know the APX4500 radios have a GPS connection, but it's not a tracker. It will just include the GPS location whenever it transmits. When the radio is off, it's not sending anything.

Eclipse

Most wings would trip over themselves to have a vehicle inside vs out.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Park it inside and see if anyone notices. If wing says something, just tell them you were confidence checking the GPS tracker :)

NIN

Quote from: Fubar on March 12, 2021, 04:43:48 AMPark it inside and see if anyone notices. If wing says something, just tell them you were confidence checking the GPS tracker :)
I like where you're at on this. ;)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Quote from: NIN on March 12, 2021, 11:58:12 PM
Quote from: Fubar on March 12, 2021, 04:43:48 AMPark it inside and see if anyone notices. If wing says something, just tell them you were confidence checking the GPS tracker :)
I like where you're at on this. ;)

I would definitely do it for sure ... but its not my sandbox. The parties at play here will not disobey a Wing order.  LOL

PHall

Another LARGE reason they didn't want you to park it in the hanger with the airplane.
They don't want any more van vs airplane "accidents". This is a sore spot with National.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on March 13, 2021, 02:41:08 AMAnother LARGE reason they didn't want you to park it in the hanger with the airplane.
They don't want any more van vs airplane "accidents". This is a sore spot with National.

Yep.  Like many other situations, only takes one or two idiots to spoil it for the rest.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on March 13, 2021, 02:41:08 AMAnother LARGE reason they didn't want you to park it in the hanger with the airplane.

Hangar rash is a legit problem, parking a van inside with the plane is not, nor is it prohibited.

What the heck kind of "GPS Tracker" does this thing have one year free ONSTAR?

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

OK, its a month old post, but now that I have more info, I'll correct it. The main problem it seems is that the gps tracker (whatever it is) apparently will run hard and "hunt" for satellites if inside a metal building, and will run the van battery down over a few days.

(Wondering if its hard wired direct to the battery? We could splice in an inline power switch. Nah, forget I said that. LOL)

Eclipse

Shades of EFJ Mobile radios with jumped out sense pins that killed more then their fair share of batteries.

It's probably a cheap device plugged into the ODB connector under the dash.
They are notorious for killing batteries.

Plug the van into a Battery Tender.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohhnyD

Quote from: etodd on April 16, 2021, 03:04:33 AM(Wondering if its hard wired direct to the battery? We could splice in an inline power switch. Nah, forget I said that. LOL)

IIRC we did exactly that. We have a "kill switch" that does the job. We also have trickle chargers on all three ground vehicles and engine warmers on both a/c.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on April 16, 2021, 03:55:42 AMShades of EFJ Mobile radios with jumped out sense pins that killed more then their fair share of batteries.

It's probably a cheap device plugged into the ODB connector under the dash.
They are notorious for killing batteries.

Plug the van into a Battery Tender.

I bought a solar tender and have zero issues with drain ever since

Fubar

Quote from: JohhnyD on April 16, 2021, 06:37:17 AM
Quote from: etodd on April 16, 2021, 03:04:33 AM(Wondering if its hard wired direct to the battery? We could splice in an inline power switch. Nah, forget I said that. LOL)

IIRC we did exactly that. We have a "kill switch" that does the job. We also have trickle chargers on all three ground vehicles and engine warmers on both a/c.

Problem with the switch is it requires someone to remember to flip the switch as part of the vehicle's preflight. You'll end up looking for a van that has a GPS tracker on board that's dutifully doing nothing because the driver forgot to turn it on.

JohhnyD

Quote from: Fubar on April 17, 2021, 04:48:05 AM
Quote from: JohhnyD on April 16, 2021, 06:37:17 AM

Problem with the switch is it requires someone to remember to flip the switch as part of the vehicle's preflight. You'll end up looking for a van that has a GPS tracker on board that's dutifully doing nothing because the driver forgot to turn it on.
I am not sure, but I think our kill-switch has to be flipped in order to even start the vehicle.

etodd

Quote from: Fubar on April 17, 2021, 04:48:05 AMProblem with the switch is it requires someone to remember to flip the switch as part of the vehicle's preflight. You'll end up looking for a van that has a GPS tracker on board that's dutifully doing nothing because the driver forgot to turn it on.

I'm still waiting for the practical use example.  Cadets in a van traveling to an event, and people at Mission Base seeing the van stop for 10 minutes and everyone starts calling cell phones to find out what the problem is. "Bathroom break!"  LOL

Or .... the driver has his own favorite roads to travel on, and Mission Base folks think he should take other roads, and calls to ask if he is lost. LOL  (I will for sure take some back roads next time just for fun.)

If a driver needs help, he or someone else in the van will call. I don't see the need to track.

Maybe its for theft?  How many CAP vans have been stolen over the years?