In-person Professional Development Training

Started by Stonewall, March 10, 2021, 01:06:11 AM

Stonewall

Question: is there any in-person professional development training within the PD curriculum, period?

Take away COVID. Is there any aspect of the PD program that is not virtual?

If someone is enrolled in the squadron commanders course online, is there an alternative option to do it in person?

I was invited to teach at a TLC recently, albeit virtual, but absent of COVID, could it have been done in-person?

What, if any, PD training can be done in-person rather than online?
Serving since 1987.

arajca

All of the new ET program can be conducted in person or online. Absent Covid, of course.

TLC is best done in person.

dwb

TLC is managed by the cadet programs team, and is not part of education and training. For instance, you can teach TLC without being a VOLU instructor.

Fundamentally, all of the new ET stuff can be done in one of two modalities: online, or face-to-face. Of course, they named these modalities before the pandemic, so now it's massively confusing what is meant by "online".

There are online cohorts, groups of students paired with instructors and all managed nationally. You'll be in with people from all over the country. The matchmaking and cadence of those cohorts is managed by the teams assigned by the VOLU staff (online chairpersons, dean, and provost).

The "face-to-face" modality also includes running the modules via video conferencing platform. This is much closer to what the old SLS, CLC, etc. used to be. We ran a Level II/III weekend last month, and there is a national "virtual in residence" program running on a regular rhythm as well.

Also, you can blend the two modalities. If you have 10 modules left to complete, you can do a few as a member of an online cohort, and you can do the rest F2F.

All of this applies to the commander courses as well. An approved instructor can download the commander materials from the NHQ web site and deliver that content either via video conference, or in a physical classroom.

In a few short days, I am running my first round of modules for Level IV. We're going to run face-to-face (over Microsoft Teams) and I have a few dozen people in my wing signed up to take some or all of the modules based on what they need.

Later this year I will look at the commander courses and see if I can set something up for those.

Hope this helps.

Stonewall

So, how does one go about taking a course in person.

I shouldn't have used TLC as an example. Since UCC is out and one has to complete SCC to achieve a technician rating in the Command Specialty track, I want to do it in person.

The online SCC has proven a failure, for me anyway. I stopped after a few months and assignments not being graded, plus the "forum" was a legit nightmare.

And no, I'm not going to call or email anyone, again.
Serving since 1987.

dwb

Quote from: Stonewall on March 10, 2021, 01:42:26 AMSo, how does one go about taking a course in person.

Just like old UCC, someone has to run it. Either literally in person, or virtually via Zoom/Teams/etc.

In this case, that someone has to be a VOLU instructor with permissions to teach (and enter into eServices) the SCC modules.

I suspect a lot of people don't realize this is a thing.

I can only speak for my own wing, but I just haven't had the bandwidth yet for it. We had L2/L3 training, and now I'm kicking off L4 training, and there's only one of me. I'm hoping to have an SCC on the books in 2021, but I don't know when.

Paul Creed III

Keep an eye on https://www.facebook.com/groups/635312233678572 as there are synchronous courses running now virtually via the Virtual In-Residence Program.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Jester

Quote from: Stonewall on March 10, 2021, 01:42:26 AMSo, how does one go about taking a course in person.

I shouldn't have used TLC as an example. Since UCC is out and one has to complete SCC to achieve a technician rating in the Command Specialty track, I want to do it in person.

The online SCC has proven a failure, for me anyway. I stopped after a few months and assignments not being graded, plus the "forum" was a legit nightmare.

And no, I'm not going to call or email anyone, again.

Shot you a text just now.