Main Menu

2007 RIWG Encampment

Started by phimbriale, December 27, 2006, 03:20:47 AM

phimbriale

TO ALL:

The 2007 Rhode Island Wing Encampment will be held from 15-21 April 2007, with staff arrival on the 14th, at Camp Varnum Army National Guard Base in Narraganset, Rhode Island.  This year we will be hosting a basic encampment as well as the Rhode Island Cadet Leadership Academy (RICLA), for second year cadets.  All cadets are more than welcome and encouraged to attend (within size limits).  In the past we have had a very successful and unique encampment, and hope to continue on with that tradition.

We are currently accepting applications for the following cadet staff positions:

Flight Sergeants
First Sergeant
Flight Commanders
Public Affairs
Administration
Logistics
Security

To apply, please send a resume and a concise paragraph stating your desired position and why you feel you should be selected to C/Maj Peter Imbriale, Cadet Commander, at phimbriale@gmail.com. The deadline for applications is 12 January, with an interview date pending (other arrangements will be made for out-of-state cadets who cannot attend the interview date).  If there are any issues or questions please do not hesitate to email me.

Thank you all, and I encourage you to apply for staff or attend one of the two excellent activities.

phimbriale

To update you all:

The cost for the encapment (staff, basic, and RICLA) will be $90.   The deadline for all applications will be 1 March 2007 with check attached.

Interviews for cadet staff applicants will be held on Saturday, 13 January 2007 at Rhode Island Wing HQ. They will begin promptly at 1000 hours EST. An interview will be mandatory for all staff applicants. If there are any conflicts for out-of-state cadets, or any cadets unable to attend, please contact me (phimbriale@gmail.com) ASAP.

For directions to RIWG HQ, please email me or check the RIWG website. Again, I encourage you all to apply for staff or attend the encampment. Thank you.

Ned

Quote from: phimbriale on December 27, 2006, 03:20:47 AM
We are currently accepting applications for the following cadet staff positions:

(. . .)
Security

If there are any issues or questions please do not hesitate to email me.

Thank you all, and I encourage you to apply for staff or attend one of the two excellent activities.

Out of curiosity, what is the position description for the Security staff?

How many are there?

Who supervises them?

Thanks in advance.

Ned Lee

MIKE

If it's similar to what MAWG has done in the past, cadets assigned to security will for the most part act as the Sergeants of the Guard or OD for the CQ/Fire Watch details.... and that sort of stuff.  The times I've seen it used there was always an assigned senior who supervised and whom the cadets reported to.

As I recall, there wasn't too much for them to do during the day.

I think I know where you are going with this Ned.
Mike Johnston

Ned

I'm genuinely interested.  This is not some sort of "gotcha."

I've been to something approaching 40 encampments, and I haven't come across cadets hired specifically for "security."  I was just curious.

As an encampment guy, I know that wings don't get to choose their encampment sites, and that they vary drastically from wing to wing.  Everything from WWII barracks ala "Biloxi Blues," to Scout campgrounds, to modern USAF dorms.  And a lot in-between.  And every encampment location will have its unique requirements for staffing.  Some wings, like California, have to run their own dining halls and serve nearly a thousand meals a day.  They need a mess hall crew and have cadets on KP.  Most wings don't need to do that.

I am interested in things like "staff-to-basics" ratio and "cadets-to-senior" ratios.  And things like cost, the number and types of activities co-located with basic encampments, and a bunch of other stuff.

But here, I was just wondering what the Security cadets do.  And what sort of resume one might submit to have the best shot at getting the job.

Ned
Encampment Enthusiast

MIKE

I applied for the job on my second encampment.  I was a C/1st Lt at the time, and because of physical limitations... I didn't think I would be able to do something like Flight Commander... And Security sounds way cooler than PAO and the like.  They made me the Cadet Safety Officer instead.
Mike Johnston

phimbriale

Quote from: Ned on January 03, 2007, 02:49:05 AM
Quote from: phimbriale on December 27, 2006, 03:20:47 AM

(. . .)
Security

If there are any issues or questions please do not hesitate to email me.

Out of curiosity, what is the position description for the Security staff?

How many are there?

Who supervises them?

Thanks in advance.

Ned Lee

To answer your question (I apologize for the late response), the security cadets at our encampment have a very similar job to those at the MAWG encampment.  During the day, they are mainly "gate-guards", and have a constant fire watch duty.  At night, they supervise each Basic Barracks whenever the flight staff is busy (staff meetings, etc...)

This year we plan to have around 3 Security Cadets, working on a "2-on 1-off" schedule during the day.  When they are not on duty, they are often tasked to do various jobs around base, in support of the encampment.  They will report to the Cadet XO, but will have an immediate Officer supervisor when on duty. 

QuoteAnd what sort of resume one might submit to have the best shot at getting the job.

For the most part, cadets on Security are at their first "staff" encampment.  Therefore, they are not required to have a lot of experience.  We usually look for someone who will be interested in doing the job and is willing to help out when they are needed to do various other jobs.  Often, but not always, the security cadets need a little more experience as staff before they can serve in a leadership role.  The first year we had a security; it was intended for cadets who are interested in a career in law enforcement.  This is still true.   However, their jobs have changed since then to include more than just security.