Would CAP Membership be Worthwhile?

Started by Kainushi, February 25, 2010, 04:05:26 AM

Kainushi

Greetings!  I am new to the forum, pondering whether to join CAP.  As you are all members of the organization, I am turning to you for advice.  I can't decide whether CAP and I would be suitable for each other. 

The following factors are weighing on my decision:

1.  I am currently on active duty and am on the road approximately one week per month.

2.  I shall retire in either November 2011 or February 2012; thereafter my wife and I plan to move to a location where CAP does not have a presence.

3.  I am enrolled in the final class for my bachelor's degree, upon completion of which, I should like to begin pursuing a master's degree.

So, my question is this: do you, active members of CAP, think that I have enough time left at my current location to contribute anything to and gain anything from CAP or would it be a waste of my time and that of the organization.

I appreciate all feedback.

Eclipse

I rarely discourage people from joining, but it sounds like you may be free-time challenged now, will be adding additional off-hours load for your masters, and then you're moving away in a year.

It usually takes a year for a reasonably active member to really understand what's going on and be in a position to contribute more than presence.

I'd have to say that CAP may not be for you, right now.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

If it's something that at minimum interests you, at least give a phone call to the local squadron commander or stop by a meeting.   Many CAP squadrons meet just once a week for a few hours on a weekday evening, though CAP often has other activities going on throughout the week and weekend.  CAP is one of those things that you can get as involved as you want.  Some people give only a few hours a month, others volunteer 40+ hours a week -- most volunteers are somewhere in that broad middle ground.  Keep in mind, as Eclipse mentioned, that joining as a member does have some up-front training and paperwork to get out of the way, and you might just get through the vast majority of that stuff, get a uniform, and get settled in to a job by the time you're ready to move on.   So a traditional volunteer spot may not be for you.

If you think there's an opportunity for you to help out your local squadron on a recurring basis for a few hours a month when you're free, I'm sure they'd appreciate it very much.   Another option:   Maybe if you can't commit to a long-term involvement, there are some projects that could really use someone to perform some work but it would be short-term in nature (For example, I once had a few people who volunteered to help get our uniform supplies that we donate to cadets sorted and in order, and a group of community volunteers who helped out for just one weekend with work that needed to be done on our squadron buildings - cleaning, repairs, painting, filing, etc.).

Besides volunteering, your military career and experience is an asset that you could use in a different way.  Consider maybe touring to meet with and speak to cadets at one or more squadrons around your area.  Cadets are pretty much always interested in talking to military personnel about their various jobs, career choices, experiences, deployments, etc.   It helps them develop ideas for what they may want to do in the future.    This type of volunteering (being a guest speaker) wouldn't even require you to go through the membership paperwork and process -- you could just be a guest.   Talk to the squadron commander(s) in your area to see if they might have an opportunity in their meeting schedule and to see if they'd be interested in having you come to speak.

Lastly, there's always some "behind the scenes" work you can do to help CAP with its various missions.  Consider reading up a little about CAP volunteer opportunities or talking with area squadron commander(s) about what types of volunteers and resources they need.  Then, from time to time, you might mention CAP to colleagues and other servicemembers in your unit who you think might be a good fit, and a good asset to CAP's missions.     Helping CAP secure some quality volunteers (and cadets!) is always a boost to the local unit.

There are certainly more ways to help CAP carry out its various missions without signing up to be a career volunteer.  Every bit of honest help is appreciated, and probably if you talk to your local squadron commander, coming with some ideas on how you could help and  how much time you honestly think you could spare, you can find what might be the best fit for you and your situation.

Thanks for thinking of CAP (and welcome to CAPTalk)!   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Irishrenegade

I would add more but um Pylon pretty much said everything  :clap:

If I could add...I joined CAP in November 09 in New York...moved to Oklahoma for a job and I love what CAP has to offer. I am gaining even more leadership skills and I feel great about what I am doing for the community. I would really recommend this organization to anyone really because it is alot of fun while at the same time being serious, structured and diciplined. If you have time then I would say go for it because some tasks have more responsibility than others so you can choose what you would like to do...unless your squadron commander picks a task for you haha

SWR-OK-113
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets|Information Technology Officer
Is laige ag imeacht as an gcorp í an phian

NY Bred and now in OK

LtCol Hooligan

At first I was going to recommend holding off on joining CAP as you would not have much time to get active.  Just when you learn what CAP is, you will leave.  At the same time, here's the deal, what if you caught the CAP bug and got really passionate.  Could you take that bug and bring CAP to your new town.  You said CAP is not there yet- why not?  Is the town too small, area to remote, etc?  I have seen squadrons function in small towns with the dedication of 3-4 adults.  Many times new squadrons/flights are started by people who have never been in CAP and are behind the power curve.  This is a great opportunity for your new wing.  In closing, if this does interest you, make sure you are looking at how much time you do have to give.  Maybe the new squadron needs to wait for a few years as opening the doors to a new squadron will be a fulltime job so really think about what you want to do.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Senior

No.  I would finish my education first.  Join the American Red Cross Disaster Services or help with the Boy Scouts.  They actually do something, don't sue their members(The Hock Shop owner is a member of CAP), don't change rules on the rules they just changed last week. I am very sad to see the slow demise of a great organization that I enjoyed as a cadet.
:( 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Senior on February 25, 2010, 10:04:30 PM
No.  I would finish my education first.  Join the American Red Cross Disaster Services or help with the Boy Scouts.  They actually do something, don't sue their members(The Hock Shop owner is a member of CAP), don't change rules on the rules they just changed last week. I am very sad to see the slow demise of a great organization that I enjoyed as a cadet.

Do we really need that little tidbit? Should I join some exclusive organization and start reproducing their IP just because I'm a member without repercussions?

Pylon

Quote from: Senior on February 25, 2010, 10:04:30 PM

You know, it's easy to have a dismal attitude about CAP when you read about stupid uniform rule changes, policy changes (or a lack of policy direction) we don't agree with, etc.   

But in reality, while sometimes that stuff gave me heartburn, it didn't affect my ability to mentor cadets at my squadron at all.  Our squadron was still carrying out an essential CAP mission, at the squadron level where the rubber meets the road, and making an impact on teenagers in our community.  Just because we on CAPTalk (a small minority of CAP members) keep abreast on the latest policy changes, regulation minutae, and critique national-level leadership, that doesn't mean that CAP at the squadron level is not getting the job done, accomplishing great things for communities across the nation.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Senior

I agree that we can have an impact at the local level.  Our leadership
at the National level seems to be making it more and more cumbersome to be a member.  I can only buy from an inferior
supplier because National gets a kick back.  I am a volunteer in a volunteer organization that is required to buy my own(not issued) uniforms,insignia, equipment  I can't decide where I am going to
spend my money?  That whole line of logic is CATFU.  I deal with
corporate crap all day at work.  They make rules and decisions that
usually slows things down, makes your job harder with no improvement in production and create tons of paperwork to justify
their existence.  I get paid at work, not in CAP.  So, NO don't join CAP.

RiverAux

Quote from: Kainushi on February 25, 2010, 04:05:26 AM
So, my question is this: do you, active members of CAP, think that I have enough time left at my current location to contribute anything to and gain anything from CAP or would it be a waste of my time and that of the organization.

It usually takes 6 months to a year to really get into the swing of emergency services work, so you probably really wouldn't have much opportunity to do a lot in that area.  And, you wouldn't have much chance to do much professional development in CAP, but given your career, thats probably not a big deal.

But, there is plenty of time for you to be a helpful, contributing member to the local program, especially if you have an interest in working with the cadets.

nesagsar

A big part of your decision should be the local unit. I spent several years in a unit that did absolutely nothing. I had to go to other units or national activities to get anything at all done, including promotions. We had no ES, comms, flight, public affairs, counter drug, homeland security, or aerospace education component. In the ten years before and 5 years after my membership we recruited 4 senior members and 10 cadets. 3 senior members and 16 cadets quit during that time. The seniors were a social club and the cadets were a daycare. When I did actually accomplish something the other cadets and seniors became even less friendly than before. I had more ribbons and badges on my shirt than all the senior members combined when I left. Combine that with my constant inability to know what my grade and rank were due to conflicting orders and paperwork and you can see why I had a bad time at the unit level.

On the other hand all of my wing and national level activities were totally awesome and actually beat out many of my scouting experiences for outright fun level as well as practical training usefullness. The unfortunate condition is that you probably will not be able to experience those activities until you are about a year into the program.

flyboy53

Join, yes.

Dig in and get completely involved...go slowly.

Retirement means a life changing transition and you will be doing enough just dealing with that. There will be a whole new list of priorities to deal with, including finding a job and matriculating back into the community.

I left CAP while on active duty during Desert Storm because it was just too much. We were in an increased operations tempo and my wife's pregnancy had gone toxic. But,  the result was a baby girl who is now a cadet preparing to transition to senior member status and looking forward to college. Then we had another suprise, a son just after we went to my final PCS before retirment.

I think we (CAP is a family affair for us) waited almost four years and then I just missed not being around anything Air Force-related.  You're going to miss it, too.

So, it felt good to be back involved and the timing was right.

tdepp

Thank you for your interest in CAP.  I'd suggest checking out your local squadron, go to a few meetings, talk to the members. 

There are many, many jobs that can be done in a squadron at the squadron or even a long ways away while at home or at your computer.

You do sound like you have a lot going on, so make sure you have enough time to be a contributing member to this or any other group you join.

I think you would make a great member with your background and would offer a local squadron all sorts of skills and leadership.  And if you go somewhere that doesn't have a squadron, maybe there is something at the group or wing level you could do. 

Thank you for your service to our nation, good luck on your upcoming retirement, and best of luck to you, whatever you decide!
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

RADIOMAN015

I'd highly recommend you wait at least until your are settled in your new location, and new "civilian" career.  Also if you are going to work on a graduate degree, likely postpone till that is also completed.

Realistically, you are going into a new phase of your life and need to adjust to the civilian way of life -- been there, done that.

I basically waited almost 20 years after AF active duty retirement to rejoin CAP.  Actually did try to join about 3 years after retirement, but when I showed up I was put in a room with other seniors that were doing nothing and I guess the commander had enough people because (not sure if he or she) never greeted me so about at the 2 hour mark I walked out never to return for a LONG time!!! 
Was completely different this time when I walked in and was greeted by the same Commander I had as a cadet.. WOW!!!!
RM