wing level chief of staff & vice commander job description

Started by w7sar, February 20, 2009, 04:57:48 PM

w7sar

Hey gang,
Does anyone have a job description (other than what's in 20-1) for a wing vice commander and a wing chief of staff?  Looking for ideas (i.e. something that is specific and works well) for these two positions.  Please don't cite 20-1, I've read it -- several times.  Looking for forward, out of the box, thinking.
Thanks!
Jerry Wellman
Utah Wing
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

dwb

In NY anyway...

- CV herds the group commanders
- CS herds the wing staff (less people like safety and IG, that report direct to CC)

That's the high-level breakout, anyway.

RickFranz

In our State the Vice Wing Commander is in charge of the Squadron's (we don't have groups) and the Chief of Staff heads up the Wing Staff, much like they do in New York.  Where we might be a little different is that we do most of our command staff work on line.  We use emails, Skype and as a last resort we use a cell phone or a land line.  We have even used Skype to hold our Commander's Call on so that remote Squadrons can attend and be active at the Wing level.

Our "Boss" gives us a "to do" list and gives us the time and resources to get those tasks done.  We have all worked very hard at our parts we seem to have a very good working relationship.  As I have said before on this board.  Everything raises and falls on leadership."  Dr Lee Roberson.

May be not out of the box type thinking but it seems to be working here in Kansas.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

bosshawk

Well: one irreverent reply to your question would be that the Vice Commanders job is to inquire, discretely, each morning as to the state of the Commanders health(sort of like the Vice President) and the Chief of Staff gets to herd cats(the Wing Staff members).

Seriously, if the Chief of Staff is really what the title suggests, the Wing CC and the VC should just about never have to deal with the Wing Staff members, except to praise them or blast them.  In the RM, the Chief of Staff is just that: he runs the staff.

The Vice Commander stands in for the Commander when directed and often is given tasks that the Commander delegates to him.  Other than that, I don't think that the Vice has any hard and fast jobs.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Larry Mangum

The reason you do not find a detailed description of the duties of the CV or CS is that they serve as directed by the wing king.  When I was CS for Washington Wing, I supervised the wing staff,  was an adviser to the commander and helped to shape wing policies and procedures.

It is not an easy job, and can be very frustrating at time, but it can also be very rewarding.  Before becoming Chief of Staff, I had serves as a wing supply officer, wing ES Director, asst Wing Comm Officer, Region IT Director, and as a Region ES Training Officer; none of those positions truly prepared me for what I would experience in the position (Except for maybe Wing ES).  Why do I say that, because wing and region politics influence seeps into every thing at that level. 

Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001