What is typical time for promotion from SM

Started by old141pilot, May 31, 2012, 02:51:07 PM

old141pilot

I know what the 'official literature' says about senior promotions but I'm wondering about the actual practice.  I joined CAP in Dec 2011 and completed Level I a month later.  As I had attained the rank of CAPT in the USAF some members were calling me captain even though I was officially listed as a senior member.  I didn't purchase SM insignia because I thought that I would be a captain immediately after completing Level I.  Six months later I am still listed as SM as either group or wing has not yet acted.  A national level IG was even wondering about this delay.  I was wondering what others typical encounter.  For example, is there a tradition to delay a promotion until Level II is accomplished?  Either way, the pay and benefits are the same.http://captalk.net/Smileys/default/wink.gif

lordmonar

If you are a former or current Capt in the armed forces....then you can apply for promotion as soon as you complete Level I.
That is ususally what happens in my squadron.

Your application for advanced promotion does not go through group/wing....it goes directly to NHQ with your supporting documents.

Having said that.....no promotion is automatic.....if someone has a problem then they should inform your commander on what it is and how to resolve it.

It sounds like you have already go the IG involved.....so my guess it will be resolved soon.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ßτε

Quote from: lordmonar on May 31, 2012, 03:01:21 PM
If you are a former or current Capt in the armed forces....then you can apply for promotion as soon as you complete Level I.
That is ususally what happens in my squadron.

Your application for advanced promotion does not go through group/wing....it goes directly to NHQ with your supporting documents.

Having said that.....no promotion is automatic.....if someone has a problem then they should inform your commander on what it is and how to resolve it.

It sounds like you have already go the IG involved.....so my guess it will be resolved soon.
Actually, promotion to Capt does require Group (or in wings without groups, Wing) approval.

ßτε

Quote from: quietbirdman on May 31, 2012, 02:51:07 PM
I know what the 'official literature' says about senior promotions but I'm wondering about the actual practice.  I joined CAP in Dec 2011 and completed Level I a month later.  As I had attained the rank of CAPT in the USAF some members were calling me captain even though I was officially listed as a senior member.  I didn't purchase SM insignia because I thought that I would be a captain immediately after completing Level I.  Six months later I am still listed as SM as either group or wing has not yet acted.  A national level IG was even wondering about this delay.  I was wondering what others typical encounter.  For example, is there a tradition to delay a promotion until Level II is accomplished?  Either way, the pay and benefits are the same.http://captalk.net/Smileys/default/wink.gif
You should check with you squadron commander first. Was a promotion to Capt initiated and sent to group for approval? If yes, check with group and see if it was approved, and if so, was it sent to NHQ? This type of promotion must use a CAPF 2 and cannot be completed online.

jeders

There is no tradition to delay promotions. However, there are a lot of people who think that these things happen automatically and don't realize that a Form 2 has to be filled out and sent through the chain of command to national.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Pylon

As above, your squadron command needs to initiate the CAP Form 2 which could have been signed and sent up the chain the day you completed Level I.  I've done a handful of CAPF 2's before for appointments based on Armed Forces paygrades from E-7 through O-4 and had approval turn-arounds on pretty much all of them in a week or less.

Usually to satisfy approving authority and in the interest of expediting the request, I would attach a copy of the member's DD-214, NGB-22, or other documentation of the Armed Force paygrade/rank earned.  Not specifically required, but helps grease the skids.  ...As would a courteous cover letter to the chain of command up to the approving authority introducing the member, his military experience, noting his Level I completion and citing the appropriate promotion regulation and paragraph, and noting how he will be contributing to CAP.  Again, not required but seems to have helped move things smoothly along in my experience.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

It also depends on the unit involved. One unit I was in required several tasks before any special duty promotions were initiated. 6 months service, and AEPSM of I recall correctly.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SARDOC

The Promotion for your Military Service is not automatic.  It falls under CAPR 35-5 for Special Appointments.

QuoteTo be considered for this type promotion, the member must meet the following minimum eligibility criteria:

a. Be at least 21 years of age.
b. Be a high school graduate (or educational equivalent).
c. Complete Level I of the Senior Member Professional Development Program.
d. Be performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade recommended.
e. Be recommended by immediate superior and unit commander.

This is not something that is necessarily automatically sent straight from the Approving Authority to National Headquarters.  See what your wing has.  I know my wing has an instruction that the only promotions that do not have to go to a wing promotion board as specified in CAPR 35-5 section 1-10 are Duty Performance Promotions.

SARDOC

Quote from: RogueLeader on May 31, 2012, 05:29:40 PM
It also depends on the unit involved. One unit I was in required several tasks before any special duty promotions were initiated. 6 months service, and AEPSM of I recall correctly.

We had an Echelon interpret "performing in an exemplary Manner" as completing at least a technician rating in their assigned Specialty Track.

Pylon

But at the very least the approving authority needs to communicate those expectations to the field, and also respond to a unit's promotion request one way or the other.  No, promotions are not automatic and not necessarily a given (though in many places these are routinely just rubber-stamped) but the approving authority has required suspense dates per regulation wherein they must act upon the promotion request and get back to the submitting authority (30 days I think?).   

So if the original poster hasn't heard about his promotion in months, it's not likely that this is a situation where there are higher standards expected or that the approving authority is declining the promotion request -- because they still would have heard back.  Rather this likely indicates that the request hasn't been (properly) filed in the first place.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Private Investigator

I know what the 'official literature' says about senior promotions but I'm wondering about the actual practice.  I joined CAP in Dec 2011 and completed Level I a month later.  As I had attained the rank of CAPT in the USAF some members were calling me captain even though I was officially listed as a senior member. 

That is the $64,000 question. I have no ideal why some Units hold back promotions. I know one that held back a retired Lt Col and told him he had to be a 2nd Lt and work his way up. Another Unit held back Capt for a college professor who was their AEO because he needed to "pass probation"? How about promotion boards for Senior Members?

RogueLeader

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 02, 2012, 09:26:44 PM
I know what the 'official literature' says about senior promotions but I'm wondering about the actual practice.  I joined CAP in Dec 2011 and completed Level I a month later.  As I had attained the rank of CAPT in the USAF some members were calling me captain even though I was officially listed as a senior member. 

That is the $64,000 question. I have no ideal why some Units hold back promotions. I know one that held back a retired Lt Col and told him he had to be a 2nd Lt and work his way up. Another Unit held back Capt for a college professor who was their AEO because he needed to "pass probation"? How about promotion boards for Senior Members?

Probation is a good idea to ensure that they are actively doing their job. What good is it of they give you a special promotion but you don't don't perform the duties that caused you to be promoted in the first place?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Private Investigator

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 02, 2012, 09:39:47 PM

Probation is a good idea to ensure that they are actively doing their job. What good is it of they give you a special promotion but you don't don't perform the duties that caused you to be promoted in the first place?

That is true especially of the CFIs in my experience. But how long is probation? Does that apply to Chaplains too? Retired or former military officers? How about a retired USAF CMSgt who wants to retain his NCO status in CAP... Probation too?

RogueLeader

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 03, 2012, 03:26:21 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on June 02, 2012, 09:39:47 PM

That is true especially of the CFIs in my experience. But how long is probation? Does that apply to Chaplains too? Retired or former military officers? How about a retired USAF CMSgt who wants to retain his NCO status in CAP... Probation too?

Probation depends on the unit. I would hope no more than 6 months. For military, I wouldn't have probation times, but I know units that do. Usually a timeline or set achievements that are posted in a commanders policy letter.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

EMT-83

It may also depend on the individual member. We had issues with a retired Army officer who refused to wear his uniform properly, learn anything about CAP or make any meaningful contribution to the squadron. All while demanding a promotion.

He eventually was promoted, but only after some serious adult conversations and him getting his act together.

Private Investigator

What was the story on the Army officer? He came just to fly? Anyways he should not have a problem with a polo shirt. We have a retired officer and he does everything in a polo shirt except flying when he wears the flight suit. Wing Conference he breaks out his old class As.

Same thing with a CAP Chaplain who retired as a Navy Chaplain. If it is a formal event he is going there, NAVY.

RogueLeader

When I was in NC-007, we regularly had military promotions that would get held up due to they weren't typical promotions. We made sure that we included the specific reg authorizing the promotion. So it may be held up at a higher echelons.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340