Skill Evaluator & Trainer - Updated Training Slides

Started by Okayish Aviator, September 25, 2018, 02:55:27 PM

Okayish Aviator

As many of you know, the current ES training slides for Skill Evaluators was last updated in 2002! That's a year before I joined as a cadet! (I may be aging myself here).

Well, in an effort to improve what we're seeing and providing SET's with a better understanding of what we're asking them to do, I've built up a new set of slides which is linked below. Feel free to give me comments / concerns / additions, you think should be made. This is already on it's way up but it will likely change a bit more before it goes the rest of the way up the chain.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dISzgZqiyBOUpIMTBiLURpbGs/view?usp=sharing
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Eclipse

They look pretty good to me, my only comments...

Typo on the "Common Examine Issues" slide "students" should be "students' " (possessive plural), or at least "student's" (possessive).

"That Others May Zoom"

wacapgh

SAR/DR Mission Pilot does not require Mission Observer as a prerequisite, only Mission Scanner.

husker

Nicely done.  Do me a favor, shoot these to me in an email (as well as introduce yourself).  Thank you.
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

Gunsotsu

31 slides is way excessive. There's a lot of fat you could trim.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunsotsu on September 26, 2018, 02:55:05 PM

I thought they were a little dense text-wise, but TBH the SQTR process is, if not "complex",
it's certainly "specific" and has it's own "zen". 

I wouldn't' suggest reading them verbatim, but I didn't see much in there that was extraneous.
You'd be surprised how many members, especially cadets, don't understand the process as it's
just done for them.

A sandbox to demo how things work would be really nice to have as I've had more then a few occasions
where boxes were checked by accident during a demo and you have to go an clean things up later.

"That Others May Zoom"

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Eclipse on September 26, 2018, 03:01:24 PM
Quote from: Gunsotsu on September 26, 2018, 02:55:05 PM

I thought they were a little dense text-wise, but TBH the SQTR process is, if not "complex",
it's certainly "specific" and has it's own "zen". 

I wouldn't' suggest reading them verbatim, but I didn't see much in there that was extraneous.
You'd be surprised how many members, especially cadets, don't understand the process as it's
just done for them.

A sandbox to demo how things work would be really nice to have as I've had more then a few occasions
where boxes were checked by accident during a demo and you have to go an clean things up later.

That may be an opportunity to change the way we do things. We could incorporate interactive training for the members with audio and visual reinforcement of the slides. I'm looking into it.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: husker on September 26, 2018, 12:16:16 PM
Nicely done.  Do me a favor, shoot these to me in an email (as well as introduce yourself).  Thank you.

Email sent