Helicopters in CAP? Are there any?

Started by Hawk200, January 19, 2020, 03:38:14 PM

Hawk200

I know the arguments concerning their use, but this question is whether or not we have any.

Anyone know?

Not even looking to know where they are, just wondering if there is such a rare beast.

FW

Ozzy

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

At one time CAP allowed helicopter usage under CAPM 55-1 "CAP Member-Operated Helicopter Operations."  That rolled into CAPR 55-1 "CAP Operational Mission Procedures" and helo ops were included in it up until the 15 October 1998 revision.

Mike

rltw2017

Quote from: sardak on January 19, 2020, 08:33:16 PM
At one time CAP allowed helicopter usage under CAPM 55-1 "CAP Member-Operated Helicopter Operations."  That rolled into CAPR 55-1 "CAP Operational Mission Procedures" and helo ops were included in it up until the 15 October 1998 revision.

Mike

Anything from national one way or the other on why they disallowed it?
TSgt, CAP
SSG, INARNG
Former 3/75 Ranger Battalion
Why won't my back stop hurting.

NIN

Quote from: rltw2017 on January 20, 2020, 02:28:36 AM
Anything from national one way or the other on why they disallowed it?

It was surmised at the time (mind you, it was basically "pre-internet" when it came about, so all of this is basically scuttlebutt) that there was some "high ranking CAP member" who owned a helicopter and wanted to use it for operational flying as a member-owned aircraft.

At the time I was in GLR and if it was happening outside of my state, I sure didn't know about it.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

There was a person in CA Wing years ago with an R44 that wanted to use it as a member owned and it was denied.   Probably would have been 05ish.  He did fly it in to a SAREX on his own time and dime once.  But there are no CAP helicopters. 

N6RVT

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 20, 2020, 02:40:25 PMThere was a person in CA Wing years ago with an R44 that wanted to use it as a member owned and it was denied.   Probably would have been 05ish.  He did fly it in to a SAREX on his own time and dime once.  But there are no CAP helicopters.

The USCGAUX has one R44 and a couple of R22's, but none in California.  As far as I know CAP has nothing that even qualifies as a 'Complex" airplane either as nothing has gear that comes up.  The new 172 qualifies as a "technically advanced aircraft" for whatever thats worth.

THRAWN

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on January 20, 2020, 06:49:23 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on January 20, 2020, 02:40:25 PMThere was a person in CA Wing years ago with an R44 that wanted to use it as a member owned and it was denied.   Probably would have been 05ish.  He did fly it in to a SAREX on his own time and dime once.  But there are no CAP helicopters.

The USCGAUX has one R44 and a couple of R22's, but none in California.  As far as I know CAP has nothing that even qualifies as a 'Complex" airplane either as nothing has gear that comes up.  The new 172 qualifies as a "technically advanced aircraft" for whatever thats worth.

No more C182RGs around?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Fling wings - no. RGs - yes. Thread - done.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret