Does the new Corporate Service Dress Uniform Violate the UCMJ and USC Codes?

Started by Guardrail, February 05, 2007, 06:39:26 PM

MIKE

Quote from: davedove on February 21, 2007, 07:41:26 PM
I really wonder what possessed them to use the blue slides instead of just using the gray slides.

Probably the same reason as the metal grade.
Mike Johnston

DNall

You know & let me tell you a little story...

1) I got a member older than dirt in my Sq that repeatedly wears the blue slides on the blue shirt w/ an enlisted hat & no device. I've warned him 5 times now. I've had the Sq CC warn him & offer to give him a set of gray slides, which he said he already had. I got an AF res Capt just joined the unit & a new CAP-USAF Maj that lives a couple minutes away & will be visiting regularly after he's made the rounds a bit. Steps are going to have to be taken soon.

2) I was at a Wg event this past wknd. Saw an old friend who I deeply respect. He's a retired Major from a service other than the AF. He was wearing the white/blue combo w/ mil badges & a BLUE lightweight over it w/ metal grade, and the hat w/ SM device on the left & mini-grade on the right.

3) later that day, my own Sq CC (a retired Army officer & former Gp CC) told me that AF outerwear (lightweight jacket & overcoat) are now authorized w/ metal grade over the white/blue combo, said he'd gotten the word on it from above.

4) Another Major at that event, this one in the ANG, was wearing the white shirt w/ a blue overcoat & gray slides on that.

There's a difference between honest mistakes, mis-positioning an item, accidents, confusion over a thousand changes... but there is a line that CANNOT be crossed, and this uniform is right on top of it - debatably across that line in a couple areas.

I have no agenda in taking this position or asking this question, but literally how long do you think we can make it before someone in the military sees this, worn correctly or incorrectly, and makes a big enough stink that it comes down on all of CAP regardless of how we felt about this thing? Is that massive risk worth what we get out of it in the interm? And what is it specifically that we gain from this that we couldn't have had without testing the limits of good will?

The regs & UCMJ, that's details. I do think it's a violation & I do think the mil personnel that decide to make a stink about it later will use that as justifcation to slap us around, but that's not ultimately why I think this uniform is a BAD idea that needs some alterations done to squirm out from under teh technicalities & make it more defensible, even potentially good for our members in the long run.

ddelaney103

Quote from: Hammer on February 21, 2007, 06:13:09 PM

Oh great, I can wear the tie tac but not the matching cuff links...  Legally, since it says tie tac, I can't wear clip.  Nice.

If the individual did earn the MoH, then legally he CAN wear his uniform to KKK meetings.  Pretty handy since now they are wearing BDU's, or so I saw on the History Channel.

You might want to take another gander at AFI36-2903, highspeed:

QuoteTable 6.1. When Reserve, ANG, Retired, Or Separated Personnel Are Required Or Authorized To
Wear The Uniform (See note 1).

If the member is                        may wear the uniform

in any of the categories             2 at any time, when he or she has
                                                      been awarded the Medal of Honor
                                                      and Chapter 1 does not prohibit
                                                      wear of the uniform.

NOTE:
1. Members will conform to the same standards of appearance, military customs, practices, and conduct
in uniform prescribed for active duty members.

Table 1.3. Wearing the Uniform

Do Not Wear when: participating in public speeches, interviews, picket lines, marches or rallies, or in any public demonstration when the Air Force sanction of the cause for which the activity is conducted may be implied.

That should put that myth to bed...

Hammer

Quote from: ddelaney103 on February 21, 2007, 09:52:34 PM
Quote from: Hammer on February 21, 2007, 06:13:09 PM

Oh great, I can wear the tie tac but not the matching cuff links...  Legally, since it says tie tac, I can't wear clip.  Nice.

If the individual did earn the MoH, then legally he CAN wear his uniform to KKK meetings.  Pretty handy since now they are wearing BDU's, or so I saw on the History Channel.

You might want to take another gander at AFI36-2903, highspeed:

QuoteTable 6.1. When Reserve, ANG, Retired, Or Separated Personnel Are Required Or Authorized To
Wear The Uniform (See note 1).

If the member is                        may wear the uniform

in any of the categories             2 at any time, when he or she has
                                                      been awarded the Medal of Honor
                                                      and Chapter 1 does not prohibit
                                                      wear of the uniform.

NOTE:
1. Members will conform to the same standards of appearance, military customs, practices, and conduct
in uniform prescribed for active duty members.

Table 1.3. Wearing the Uniform

Do Not Wear when: participating in public speeches, interviews, picket lines, marches or rallies, or in any public demonstration when the Air Force sanction of the cause for which the activity is conducted may be implied.

That should put that myth to bed...

Sir, check out DoD 1348-M, Manual of Military Decorations & Awards, Paragraph C2.4.4, which reads as follows" C2.4.4. Unlike military personnel and retirees, MOH recipients may wear their
uniforms at any time or place they choose."

DNall

Lot of trouble with MOH recips even going to klan meetings, much less in uniform?