Optional patch for breast of black A-2 leather jacket?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, October 06, 2009, 09:03:10 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

My squadron has designed its own crest, in the traditional AF shield-shape.  Is this cleared for the breast of the black A-2 jacket?  I think that wing/region ones are allowed, but I'm not sure about this.  Thank you.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on October 06, 2009, 09:03:10 PM
My squadron has designed its own crest, in the traditional AF shield-shape.  Is this cleared for the breast of the black A-2 jacket?  I think that wing/region ones are allowed, but I'm not sure about this.  Thank you.

No - the only insignia allowed is the CAP MAJCOM Shield.

"That Others May Zoom"

SilverEagle2

No, only the CAP Command Patch is authorized.

Quotea. Black Leather Jacket. Effective 15 March 2006, a black leather jacket with
side entry and patch pockets similar in style to the A-2 jacket was approved for wear by
CAP senior members with the aviator shirt combinations, utility uniform, CAP flight suit
or CAP polo shirt with gray slacks. The CAP Command Patch will be worn on the right
breast with the black leather name patch on the left breast pocket. This jacket may not
be worn with any of the AF-style uniforms. Effective 29 June 2006, the leather name
patch worn on this jacket is changed to a black leather name tag with a brown inset.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

alamrcn

How much do you want to wear it on the A-2?

If it was the ONLY patch on the coat, it wouldn't be a uniform coat - but a civilian coat and could be worn anytime when not in uniform. However, in Northern wings like mine, a civilian winter coat worn over a uniform is authorized in a 39-1 suppliment for the purpose of safety. I suppose the A-2 is warm enough for winter use.

This would be like if you screen printed the emblem on a t-shirt for volleyball, or embroidered it onto a polo shirt for "off-duty" use at a CAP activity.

I know the couch lawyers are going to say your authorized squadron patch is property of Civil Air Patrol and to be used in an official capacity only.... BUT COME ON!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

lordmonar

If you really wanted to wear it....you could always put a recommendation up to the NB to authorise other patches.

That would be better then going the "this is a civilian jacket" route IMHO.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

It's not that big of a deal.

If regs say MAJCOM shield, MAJCOM shield it is.  I can wear the Squadron crest on my BBDU's.  It certainly isn't worth ticking someone who knows more about uniform regs than I do.

In any case, both it and my black/brown wings nameplate are going to be Velcro'd on the A-2, so if I want to wear it somewhere not CAP-related, I can take them both off and tuck them in a pocket.

I'm up in Great Lakes Region, so we most definitely know winter up here.  My "normal" jacket is a leather jacket modelled after Erich Hartmann's Luftwaffe flight jacket (no insignia), and it usually does the trick.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011