Blue flight jacket for CAP blue utility jumpsuit

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, September 18, 2009, 06:48:37 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

The first one is an Air Force police jacket. It may use a leather nametag, but that doesn't make it a flight jacket.

The second is an old design, probably put together as a novelty. That type of insignia configuration isn't currently authorized, and I don't believe it ever has been.

If you wan't a blue flight jacket design for wear with the jumpsuit, find an MA-1 flight jacket. Most MA-1's are reversible, with an orange "inside". Blue is only one of the myriad colors you can get them in.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Thank you, Hawk.  You confirmed what I had already guessed.

I didn't know the first one was an AF Police jacket, but I knew that the second one was definitely non-regulation.

I'll probably get an MA-1; I've gone through several of the green ones over the years in CAP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on September 18, 2009, 07:36:41 PM
Thank you, Hawk.  You confirmed what I had already guessed.

I didn't know the first one was an AF Police jacket, but I knew that the second one was definitely non-regulation.

I'll probably get an MA-1; I've gone through several of the green ones over the years in CAP.

I know of the cop jacket because I managed to acquire one over the years. I wear it when I ride, it's pretty warm. At times, warm enough to be uncomfortable.

MA-1 is a good design, I'm still puzzled as to why the military didn't just make that in the Nomex insulation and Nomex/Kevlar shell that the CWU-35/45 uses. The design is well proven, and using the modern fabrics would probably make them almost impossible to wear out with the light use that most CAP members give their uniforms.

MIKE

I like the CWU-45/P better, it's the current style versus the MA-1... and I've seen nylon versions in both sage and blue.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Alpha-CWU-45-P-Flight-Jacket.aspx?a=376810&kwtid=259284
Mike Johnston

The CyBorg is destroyed

I was thinking of the CWU-type myself, Mike, but I didn't know if we were good to wear that one or not.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MIKE

It's noted specifically for the sage green bag at least.
Mike Johnston

ol'fido

Quote from: MIKE on September 18, 2009, 11:25:06 PM
I like the CWU-45/P better, it's the current style versus the MA-1... and I've seen nylon versions in both sage and blue.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Alpha-CWU-45-P-Flight-Jacket.aspx?a=376810&kwtid=259284
Which one? Blue or Navy?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

MIKE

Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

I remember somewhere on the web there was a source for navy blue CWU-36/P and CWU-45/P in nomex... lemme do some checking.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

Just noticed that they only show the MA-1 style for the "CAP Blue Flight Jacket" in Figure 4-4. and they only mention it as such in Table 4-5. and 4-6.  Table 4-5. says it's only available from CAPMart.  ::)
Mike Johnston

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MIKE on September 20, 2009, 02:36:42 PM
Just noticed that they only show the MA-1 style for the "CAP Blue Flight Jacket" in Figure 4-4. and they only mention it as such in Table 4-5. and 4-6.  Table 4-5. says it's only available from CAPMart.  ::)

And, of course, CAPMart has gone the way of the dodo bird.

I bought a blue MA-1 yesterday, very close to the same shade of blue as my utility jumpsuit.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Does CAWG either require a nomex flight jacket or at least prohibit the wear of a nylon jacket while flying?

Not much point in wearing a nomex flight suit if you're wearing a jacket over it that's an accelerant.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

I just wanted to throw it in here that I saw my first CAP member in the Blue Jumpsuit.  The uniform itself looks sharp, and is nowhere near what members were wearing in the mid to late 90's (Smurf flavored crap).

I may actually opt for the uniform.  Although I don't have to, I just really like it.