ABU - Images of CAP Patch/Rank Color Possibilities on ABUs

Started by Thom, July 29, 2009, 12:06:49 AM

Thom

Since the other ABU thread had a fair bit of wrangling about what color our patches should be once CAP (eventually...) moves to the ABUs, I thought I'd whip up some images to show the different options that have been discussed as significant possibilities.

I have 6 sets of images, each of which includes a Daylight image and a Low-Light image, since the criteria for CAP Uniforms includes being able to tell us apart from real Air Force personnel in Low-Light conditions.

There are 3 Uniform combinations shown:  The standard Air Force ABU, the ABU with CAP UltraMarine Blue patches, and the ABU with CAP Navy Blue patches.

I have included 2 different images of each possible combination, to account for the variety of shades and images available in the ABU, as well as to give a little bit of variety.

Where it was possible, I have used actual images (substantially reduced in size) as the elements to compose these images.  That means, the Name Tapes are NOT just a blue rectangle with a text box on top, they are actual images available online that I shrunk.  This means the colors are not perfect, but are pretty close to real life.  If the UltraMarine looks a little subdued here, that is just about the way my brand new tapes from VG and The Hock look to me.  And, the Navy Blue may be a bit oversaturated, I had to make most of those up by hand by coloring the UM Blue images.  Overall, I feel these are relatively representative.  In the real world, production differences and fading will cause things to vary anyway.

The first 2 sets are of the standard Air Force ABU, as worn by real Air Force personnel.

The next 2 sets are of the ABU with CAP UltraMarine Blue patches.

The last 2 sets are of the ABU with CAP Navy Blue patches.

Comments are welcome.

Thom Hamilton

Eclipse

Quote from: Thom on July 29, 2009, 12:06:49 AM
Comments are welcome.

There's several threads here where people have done the exact thing you have, others have actually purchased the different colored tapes, and the rest of us beat it into the ground.

Search is your friend.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

And I think most people went for a much darker shade of Navy blue than what you had, which doesn't look much different than UM. 

JK657

On a positive note, although others have already done this, I appreciate you taking the time to work on this project for the good of the rest of us...

MikeD

Quote from: JK657 on July 29, 2009, 01:33:39 AM
On a positive note, although others have already done this, I appreciate you taking the time to work on this project for the good of the rest of us...

I don't think that anyone else took the low-light issue into account?   Or is search my friend too?

Thom

Quote from: MikeD on July 29, 2009, 01:43:13 AM
Quote from: JK657 on July 29, 2009, 01:33:39 AM

I don't think that anyone else took the low-light issue into account?   Or is search my friend too?

And I thought I was doing good to search back 18 Months!  It seems the thread where someone actually made up nametapes in various color combos and laid them on an ABU Blouse was last touched about 20 months ago.

Note:  I do feel a little inadequate for having only tried 2 CAP color combos, and only doing them digitally instead of making actual tapes.  THAT guy was into this!

As far as I can find now, no one else took the Low-Light issue into account, so at least I think I have that going for me.

Of course, since I spend a decent amount of time in PhotoShop, it actually took me longer to upload and label the images at PhotoBucket than it did to put them together.  I don't feel too bad about the time wasted.

As to the person that said my Navy Blue was a little lighter than others, I tried to go a little light overall to get the 'faded' look rather than the 'fresh from The Hock's Embroidery Shop' look.  These things will have to look 'distinctive' once faded, not just brand new.

Thom Hamilton

RiverAux

I think this does an excellent job illustrating that CAP-USAF needs glasses if they thought Navy Blue with white still looked too Air Forcey. 

AvroArrow

If I may add, why not try white text over solid OD tape? It's distinctive and be less "obnoxious" as any shade of blue.

Thom

Quote from: AvroArrow on July 29, 2009, 02:49:29 AM
If I may add, why not try white text over solid OD tape? It's distinctive and be less "obnoxious" as any shade of blue.

I'll be happy to work up graphics for any combination that people want to see, HOWEVER, if the USAF types aren't happy about White on Navy Blue, I can imagine them having a stroke over White on OD.  The OD combo being MUCH closer to what the USAF wears on their own ABUs.

The other ABU threads cover the issue pretty well, but basically: It isn't just what looks good, but what looks OK and ALSO let's CAP be visually distinctive, in Low-Light and Regular lighting conditions, from the regular USAF personnel.

Honestly, I'm not at all sure what we'll end up with by the time they all make up their minds.

Time will tell...

Thom Hamilton

AvroArrow

Quote from: Thom on July 29, 2009, 03:05:31 AM
HOWEVER, if the USAF types aren't happy about White on Navy Blue, I can imagine them having a stroke over White on OD.  The OD combo being MUCH closer to what the USAF wears on their own ABUs.

Perhaps, but if the tape is solid OD, not pixelated, there would still be some difference.

Look at this post:
Quote from: DNall on December 02, 2006, 12:41:08 AM.....

RiverAux

The "low light" thing is nuts also.  When is the military going to see us in "low light conditions".  Most stuff on bases is done during daylight hours, so that isn't an issue.  And usually the CAP adult is surround by numerous cadets that should give them a hint about what is going on.  They don't operate with us in the field except for CAP-USAF folks who shouldn't need the additional visual aid. 

Strick

How about dark grey with white threads, I wish we could wear dark gray on the flight suit with white thread.  As we learned in a earlier post our grey slides repersent CAP'S flag.
[darn]atio memoriae

BrandonKea

I honestly think they'll get away from Ultramarine when we eventually transition to ABU's. But, then again, maybe not.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on July 29, 2009, 03:22:54 AM
The "low light" thing is nuts also.  When is the military going to see us in "low light conditions".  Most stuff on bases is done during daylight hours, so that isn't an issue.  And usually the CAP adult is surround by numerous cadets that should give them a hint about what is going on.  They don't operate with us in the field except for CAP-USAF folks who shouldn't need the additional visual aid.

It may be nuts, but it's in their regulation. And it's pretty much their call too.

Thom

Quote from: PHall on July 29, 2009, 04:08:00 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on July 29, 2009, 03:22:54 AM

It may be nuts, but it's in their regulation. And it's pretty much their call too.

Absolutely, it is entirely the Air Force's call as to what conditions they will put on CAP using the ABUs.

I will point out that, while I can't really explain the Low-Light thing, I can explain where some of the Distinctive requirements can come in, on a regular basis even:  Hurricanes.

Here in Louisiana we've had 4 major storms in 5 years, and after each CAP was out and about alongside EVERY other SAR/LEO/FED/DOD/etc. organization in the country.  It wouldn't have been unusual for an Army National Guardsman (or 10) to be loading supplies onto a Coast Guard helicopter with local Sheriffs representatives directing the whole process.  In that mixed forces environment, it suddenly becomes nice (from the perspective of Ma Blue) to be able to tell the CAP Officer from the real Air Force Officer.

The rest of the time, not such a big deal.

Thom Hamilton

Smokey

For those who still love the ultramarine blue......Your home must have advocado appliances, orange shag carpeting and a disco ball in the family room.

The 70's are dead. Get past it.  Ultramarine blue has to go the way of the above.  It must be killed before it puts someone's eye out.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

wuzafuzz

Does this low light distinctiveness requirement only apply to BDU's?  It seems to me the dress blues would be far less distinctive in low light conditions, and no one is having puppies over those.

I'm not wringing my hands because we don't look just like the real military, complete with subdued patches.  Bright insignia is just fine with me but PLEASE lose the ultramarine background.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

BrandonKea

Is there a cite for the fact that the uniforms have to be "low light distinctive?"

You're all forgetting the one thing that will make you stand out, at least in the field...

Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Gunner C

Here's the best uniform proposal for a CAP utility uniform:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=3896.0

It should be put before the NB for a field trial (say two years, limited distribution each wing).  It's the only one that makes sense, unless you can find a solid color USAF equivalent.

At any rate, tape colors, height/weight, etc would be moot.

Thom

Quote from: BrandonKea on July 30, 2009, 11:20:24 AM
Is there a cite for the fact that the uniforms have to be "low light distinctive?"

You're all forgetting the one thing that will make you stand out, at least in the field...

<<Snipped image of Orange Vest>>

Here it is, (emphasis mine) from AFI 10-2701, the USAF document on the Organization and Function of the Civil Air Patrol

Quote1.3.4. CAP Distinctive Uniforms and Insignia. The emblems, insignia, and badges of the CAP Air
Force-style uniform will clearly identify an individual as a CAP member at a distance and in low-light
conditions
. The Air Force must approve changes to the CAP Air Force-style uniform. CAP distinctive
uniforms must be sufficiently different from U.S. Armed Forces uniforms so that confusion will not
occur.

Also, the Orange Vest is only required when actually participating in Ground Team activities.  Much of the Mission Base and Logistics duties do not require the Vest, and those are definitely places where (as noted before during Hurricane or other Large Disaster/Multi-Agency settings) confusion over CAP vs. USAF could occur.

Thom Hamilton