Encampment and AFJROTC SLS

Started by thecadet, November 25, 2011, 08:16:57 PM

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2011, 04:41:43 AM
Why do we want to waive anything, especially encampments? They are an important milestone in a cadet's career, and for many a gate.  This isn't about
a few credit hours or a meaningless checkbox, the encampment experience is routinely cited as a delimiter of cadet retention and progression.

I have never personally met a cadet who I considered a "success story" who wasn't heavily involved in encampments or similiar activities.

Why would we deny that to a cadet simply because he's involved in a similar, separate program?

Politics mostly as an effort to recruit/retain JROTC cadets.  It is things like this that help show dual cadets that we appreciate the experience that they have and what they can also bring to the table.  Not to mention that some cadets can't afford to go to two encampments every summer or even their entire cadet career.

If the learning requirements are similar I see no problem with this policy as it stand, as long as there is reciprocity with our own encampments holding equal weight within JROTC.
Paramedic
hang-around.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2011, 04:41:43 AM
Why do we want to waive anything, especially encampments? They are an important milestone in a cadet's career, and for many a gate.  This isn't about
a few credit hours or a meaningless checkbox, the encampment experience is routinely cited as a delimiter of cadet retention and progression.

I have never personally met a cadet who I considered a "success story" who wasn't heavily involved in encampments or similiar activities.

Why would we deny that to a cadet simply because he's involved in a similar, separate program?

Well...it eliminate the need for the cadet to choose between the two programs.   Some AFJROTC units require SLS for entry into their officer ranks.....just as we do our encampment.  So a duel enrolled cadet does not have to give up two weeks and multiple hundres of dollars to get essentially the same experince.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

thecadet

Quote from: lordmonar on November 29, 2011, 04:56:44 AM
Well...it eliminate the need for the cadet to choose between the two programs.   Some AFJROTC units require SLS for entry into their officer ranks.....just as we do our encampment.  So a duel enrolled cadet does not have to give up two weeks and multiple hundres of dollars to get essentially the same experince.
I am a c/Lt Col in AFJROTC. I am a c/CMSgt in CAP. I couldn't go to summer encampment because I decided summer school (to get ahead) was a better choice. I spent my week on an AFB with people screaming at me. I made my bed and shined my shoes. I learned about security forces and medical careers. I am a high-achieving person in my school (I'm fourth in my class of 350) and my community (in 8th grade I was picked out of 30 kids to be student mayor). It's a simple question of interpretation on a new addition to a rule. I don't know why we're going into this debate of "suck it up and go." It's not like I didn't want to go; I do. But I also did the, according to NHQ equivalent, time.

Eclipse

Quote from: thecadet on December 07, 2011, 04:13:30 AMIt's not like I didn't want to go; I do. But I also did the, according to NHQ equivalent, time.

Yes, and your box is checked for Mitchell, however you did not complete a CAP encampment, so no ribbon.  Not really a big deal in the Grande Scheme®.

This is pretty much the same as seniors in the military who use PME equivalents for things like RSC, or SLS.  You get the Level cert, but you don't get an SLS cert or an RSC coin, etc., that's just the way it is.  No harm, no foul.  Someone asks how you got Mitchell without an encampment, you tell them you're JROTC and FIMO.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on December 07, 2011, 04:17:19 AM
Quote from: thecadet on December 07, 2011, 04:13:30 AMIt's not like I didn't want to go; I do. But I also did the, according to NHQ equivalent, time.

Yes, and your box is checked for Mitchell, however you did not complete a CAP encampment, so no ribbon.  Not really a big deal in the Grande Scheme®.

This is pretty much the same as seniors in the military who use PME equivalents for things like RSC, or SLS.  You get the Level cert, but you don't get an SLS cert or an RSC coin, etc., that's just the way it is.  No harm, no foul.  Someone asks how you got Mitchell without an encampment, you tell them you're JROTC and FIMO.

+1
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander