000 Squadron Chain of Command

Started by CadetProgramGuy, August 05, 2008, 04:01:54 AM

CadetProgramGuy

I have been scolded a few times for breaking the Chain of Command.

I am in the 000 squadron for personal reasons, but it is unclear who my COC is.

What are your ideas?

Maj Ballard

Do you hold any type of staff position? Is there a squadron commander for 000 in your wing?
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

000 is the inactive squadron.  There are no Staff positions or squadron commander.

Larry Mangum

The wing Commander is the CC of the holding 000 squadron.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

IceNine

Am I missing something?  If you are 000 what are you trying to get done? 

There are exactly 2 things members of 000 should be doing. 

Nothing or transferring to an active unit. 
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: IceNine on August 05, 2008, 04:31:22 AM
Am I missing something?  If you are 000 what are you trying to get done? 

There are exactly 2 things members of 000 should be doing. 

Nothing or transferring to an active unit. 

Without getting into specifics, I am trying to get active, but I have issies that need dealth with first.

SarDragon

Quote from: wawgcap on August 05, 2008, 04:26:12 AM

By presumption, or definition? An examination of the Civil Air Patrol Unit Directory show no SqCC assignments for the 000 units, and those that do appear are not the WgCCs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

Would you disagree that in the absence of a commander being listed the defacto commander would be the wing commander? 

I can't find any regulatory reference to 000 outside of transferring members of deactivated units there if there is no other unit listed on the 27.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

CadetProgramGuy

I have just received an email from the Wing CV asking why I am asking.  I think I am getting my answers, but dunno yet.

IceNine

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: IceNine on August 05, 2008, 04:51:45 AM
Good luck!

That might be a premature wish.......Like I said earlier. I have issues that need dealt with......

IceNine

Well I know in our wing the 2 best sources of information for the field are the wing CS and CV, so at least you are perking up the right ears.

The first step is to get a definitive answer and that may be a bit of an uphill battle considering the lack of regulatory guidance for the holding unit

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

FW

Quote from: IceNine on August 05, 2008, 04:47:21 AM
Would you disagree that in the absence of a commander being listed the defacto commander would be the wing commander? 

I can't find any regulatory reference to 000 outside of transferring members of deactivated units there if there is no other unit listed on the 27

Usually, 000 units are for inactive members or members "in between assignments".  Most wings consider the 000 unit part of wing hq. with the wing/cc as commander (like the 001 unit).  Some may assign a squadron commander for administrative purposes, some may do otherwise.  In your case, it would seem the commander of the 000 unit is the wing/cc.
However, the best way to deal with your "issues", IMO, would be to transfer to an operational unit and, then work through them through the Chain.  I don't think any wing/cc wants to really deal with 000 members unless they want to transfer to an active unit.  However, going directly to them is not a violation of the rules.

BlackKnight

I have heard it said many times that the wing Chief of Staff functions as the defacto commander of the wing headquarters squadron.  This saves the wing commander from being overwhelmed with routine personnel and admin issues.  You thus may want to begin your chain of command inquiry for squadron 000 with the wing CoS.  At worst it'll give him (or her) something to do for a change.  ;D
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

AvroArrow

Quote from: wawgcap on August 05, 2008, 04:26:12 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 05, 2008, 04:42:17 AM
By presumption, or definition? An examination of the Civil Air Patrol Unit Directory show no SqCC assignments for the 000 units, and those that do appear are not the WgCCs.

I'm a bit out of the loop...

What is "Squadron 000," COC, and CC?

MIKE

Wing Holding Squadron AKA Ghost Squadron - A unit for otherwise unassigned inactive people to be assigned to.

Chain of Command. 

CC is the Functional Address Symbol for Commander, it's used for addressing mail... or as a technically improper way to abbreviate position titles.
Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Quote from: MIKE on August 05, 2008, 04:34:27 PM
technically improper way to abbreviate position titles.

Not arguing here. Just curious as I had never heard that before: What is the proper way to do it?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

FW

Quote from: davidsinn on August 05, 2008, 04:38:06 PM

Not arguing here. Just curious as I had never heard that before: What is the proper way to do it?

abbreviations; CC, CV,CS,FM,CP, etc. are considered office routing symbols for mailing purposes.  In the days before email or texting, these symbols were used to route mail to the appropriate office.  If you are sending a snail mail letter to NHQ, for example, you would address the letter to NHQ, attn: "CC" for office of the commander or, "EX" for office of the executive director.  
If you are writing a message to an individual, say the group commander, you would not usually use an abbreviation.  It would be more like; "Lt Col John Smith, Commander Gp A, XXWG."
Today, I think it appropriate to use the "routing symbols" as email/texting short hand.  Most everyone understands the meaning and, IMHO, the definitions should keep up with the times.

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on August 05, 2008, 04:38:06 PM

CC  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

It is a valid question though.  However, I suspect that if you're trying to get out of the squadron you just need to work with the Wing Personnel Officer to get transferred back to a "real" squadron.