Main Menu

CAP moving to the DoD

Started by ♠SARKID♠, January 28, 2008, 07:50:33 PM

♠SARKID♠

From the "candidates" thread.

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 28, 2008, 03:15:02 PM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 28, 2008, 05:05:09 AM
The content of this post does not necessarily reflect views/opinions of the poster, and is the sole property of a different CAP member.
So for the love of God, don't shoot the messenger on this one.

Somebody brought up some interesting points about McCain moving us to the DoD.

1) We'd have our own funding
2) We'd have our own joint chief
3) We'd be in charge of ourselves, and wouldn't have to have everything approved by a restrictive governing body.

Not shooting at you, SARKID, but...

I guess I don't understand what you're saying.  Could you give me some more detail?

1)  We would have our own larger budget that would be ours to do with as we please, rather than the skin and bones we are on now.  As it is, the Air Force pays for themselves before they pay for us.

2) & 3)  A joint chief allows us to have a direct say in our actions, how the government uses us, what we do etc.  As opposed to going through USAF liaisons and up to the head of ma blue.  It gives a measure of self control and power that could well work to better the organization.

Also, while typing this, I had an idea.  And its way. Way. WAY. WAY. WAY OUT IN LEFT FIELD.
DoD funding allows for an extremely small paycheck...(DON'T KILL ME!)

jeders

Weren't the posts in that thread about moving us to DOT, not DoD?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

♠SARKID♠

Hmm...guess your right.  Well, no matter, its a interesting topic nonetheless.

JayT

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 28, 2008, 07:50:33 PM
From the "candidates" thread.

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 28, 2008, 03:15:02 PM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 28, 2008, 05:05:09 AM
The content of this post does not necessarily reflect views/opinions of the poster, and is the sole property of a different CAP member.
So for the love of God, don't shoot the messenger on this one.

Somebody brought up some interesting points about McCain moving us to the DoD.

1) We'd have our own funding
2) We'd have our own joint chief
3) We'd be in charge of ourselves, and wouldn't have to have everything approved by a restrictive governing body.

Not shooting at you, SARKID, but...

I guess I don't understand what you're saying.  Could you give me some more detail?

1)  We would have our own larger budget that would be ours to do with as we please, rather than the skin and bones we are on now.  As it is, the Air Force pays for themselves before they pay for us.

2) & 3)  A joint chief allows us to have a direct say in our actions, how the government uses us, what we do etc.  As opposed to going through USAF liaisons and up to the head of ma blue.  It gives a measure of self control and power that could well work to better the organization.

Also, while typing this, I had an idea.  And its way. Way. WAY. WAY. WAY OUT IN LEFT FIELD.
DoD funding allows for an extremely small paycheck...(DON'T KILL ME!)

That is  never, ever going to happen. Why would a fifty thousand man volunteer organization needn a seat on the joint chiefs?

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

CadetProgramGuy

JohnKachenmeister

If the proposal is to make CAP a separate armed forces branch, with a 4-star and a seat at the JCS, I gotta say that is SO not going to happen.  Exactly what warfighting role do we fill with C-172's?  Placing us under DoD as a player on a par with the Army, Navy, and Air Force means that we are down to "Old men and the Hitler Youth" to carry out our war aims.

There HAS been talk about making CAP the 8th branch of uniformed services, joining the military branches plus the USPHS and the Commissioned Corps of the NOAA.  That is do-able, but leaves the Cadet Program without a military sponsor.

If we were to become a separate branch, we would probably join the USCG under DHS.  In that role, we would continue as the USAF Auxiliary whenever the AF wanted us, but when not called into service of the AF we would work for the Secretary of Homeland Security.  This would relieve us from the constraints of the Posse Comitatus Act, so expect some law enforcement support missions.
Another former CAP officer

FW

Moving CAP under the DHS umbrella has been thought about by the powers that were about 18 mos. ago.   There was even a "white paper" about it.  When the NB got wind of it, all heck broke out and life went on as usuall.... except for a change in leadership.

One thing to remember, we currently have a "grant" from the AF for O&M of CAP under a Cooperative Agreement and Statement of Work.  Before we could even think about moving to DHS, we need to be very selfish and think,  "What's in it for us?"  The last S.O.W. was negotiated in quick time due to the events of '99-00. We were in a rush to get to a more quite time and were left with a relationship which is quite different from pre SOW days.  Today, we are not in any great hurry to change our organization.  And I don't think "moving" CAP is going to make us larger, help with retention. or making us stronger unless we address some fundamental questions first.  I think discussing these issues would be a good topic to consider.

_

Quote from: FW on January 29, 2008, 02:56:59 PM
Moving CAP under the DHS umbrella has been thought about by the powers that were about 18 mos. ago.   There was even a "white paper" about it.  When the NB got wind of it, all heck broke out and life went on as usuall.... except for a change in leadership.

There was testimony given before congress relating to a bill that would allow DHS to utilize CAP.  It hasn't seemed to have gone anywhere.  Pineda was the main person testifying so I don't know the effect of him going bye-bye had on the bill.  It'll probably be like anything else in congress, it'll sit somewhere until something happens and they start asking why weren't we more prepared.

House Resolution 1333

davedove

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on January 29, 2008, 03:46:44 PM
Quote from: FW on January 29, 2008, 02:56:59 PM

There was testimony given before congress relating to a bill that would allow DHS to utilize CAP.  It hasn't seemed to have gone anywhere.  Pineda was the main person testifying so I don't know the effect of him going bye-bye had on the bill.  It'll probably be like anything else in congress, it'll sit somewhere until something happens and they start asking why weren't we more prepared.

House Resolution 1333

If DHS really wants to use us, it doesn't require an "Act of Congress." All it would require is a memorandum of understanding with all the details (who pays how much, who has priority if different orgs need CAP, etc.).

Of course, a complete move to DHS, if it ever happened WOULD require Congressional action.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Nomex Maximus

I think, what with VSAF coming on, that we will be moved to the ...

GIRL SCOUTS

...think of the advantages!

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on January 29, 2008, 06:30:19 PM

GIRL SCOUTS

Yeah... their cookie sales give THEM a reliable funding source!

BillB

Moving to the Girl Scouts, Moving to DHS, moving to the National Guard, moving to DoD. I have an idfea for the mods to lock this moving thread. CAP is not going to move. If it does it will be closer to big blue and away from the corporate structure.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

ddelaney103

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 29, 2008, 02:16:15 PM
There HAS been talk about making CAP the 8th branch of uniformed services, joining the military branches plus the USPHS and the Commissioned Corps of the NOAA.  That is do-able, but leaves the Cadet Program without a military sponsor.

Where has this talk come from?

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 29, 2008, 07:27:51 PM

GIRL SCOUTS

mmmmm...coooookiiiesssss
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

flyerthom

GIRL SCOUTS

I am SO not selling thin mints door to door. And Nomex in a brown dress?

<runs screaming like a little girl out the door>
TC

davedove

Quote from: flyerthom on January 29, 2008, 08:13:20 PM

GIRL SCOUTS

Yeah, but think of all the new badges you could wear on your uniform. :D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: davedove on January 29, 2008, 08:34:25 PM

GIRL SCOUTS

Yeah, but think of all the new badges you could wear on your uniform. :D

hehehe...wanna see my badges?
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Nomex Maximus

GIRL SCOUTS

Nomex doesn't get to wear the brown dress uniform because he doesn't meet height and weight standards. He has to wear the blue corporate girl scout uniform instead.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Eclipse

Quote from: ddelaney103 on January 29, 2008, 07:51:59 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 29, 2008, 02:16:15 PM

Where has this talk come from?

Members who are bored because of the writer's strike.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

Do we rate cloth fly-up wings?  Or do we have to use leather?