Passing of Lt Col Carl A. Limback

Started by ♠SARKID♠, May 30, 2016, 05:53:42 PM

♠SARKID♠

Some of you may have known Lt Col Limback so I wanted to pass this on to the forum.

QuoteIt is with a heavy heart that I bring the following news to the members of Wisconsin Wing. On the evening of Friday, May 20th we lost a valued member of CAP, Lt Col Carl A. Limback. He died of natural causes at the age of 66.

Lt Col Limback first joined Civil Air Patrol as a cadet in 1962, leaving to enlist in the USAF in 1969 where he served in photographic operations. He returned to CAP in 1992 as a member of the Milwaukee Emergency Services Squadron and had been an active member ever since. As a cadet, he earned the Certificate of Proficiency, the precursor to the General Billy Mitchell Award, and earned the Paul E. Garber award in 2007. He was active in the wing, serving as AFROTC Orientation Flight coordinator from 1995 to 2005 and as a critical part of the Wisconsin Wing Encampment Staff from 1993 until 2005. Lt Col Limback, as the encampment Training Officer, revolutionized the training program and laid the foundation for the program we have today. In 2005 he moved to Laurium, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, following the passing of his wife. He continued to be active in CAP, ultimately standing up and commanding Michigan Wing's Copper Country Composite Squadron from 2005 to 2007. After his term as squadron commander, he transferred back to Wisconsin Wing and the Timmerman Composite Squadron.

Carl will be missed and his passing will be mourned. As a cadet, I knew him to be one of the legends; one of the members of Wisconsin Wing that really made a difference and garnered everyone's respect. We have lost one of the great ones.

DAN TURKAL, Capt, CAP
Commander, WI-002

We laid Lt Col Limback to rest two days ago. Cadets from the squadron stood at his casket during the visitation, and an USAF honor guard laid him to rest that afternoon. Today, as part of our Memorial Day ceremonies, we returned with the squadron's entire cadet body to remember him.