"PAO SHOUT OUT!!! If you're a PAO" or "RECRUITING OFFICER lets it be known!!!"

Started by Major Carrales, January 27, 2007, 03:05:20 AM

Major Carrales

PUBLIC AFFAIRS SHOUTOUT!!!

A while back someone made a series of comments about "poorly trained" Public Affairs Officers.  Well, let's use this place to workfor the betterment of that effort.

To begin to establish a network of Public Affairs Officers for the betterment of PUBLIC AFFAIRS in CAP!  That begins with a sort of master lists of on-line CAPTALK PAOs!

Major Joe Ely Carrales
Commander/PAO
Corpus Christi Comp Squadron Civil Air Patrol
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Pumbaa

Right back at you.

2nd LT Richard Fairchild - Public Affairs Officer
Chemung/ Schuyler Composite Squadron - CAP
United States Air Force Auxiliary

JohnKachenmeister

Maj. John Kachenmeister, IG, Group 4 Florida, but Master-level qualified in PA.

Former assignments:  PAO, Group 6, Ohio.
                                   PAO, 300th Military Police Command, USAR
                                   PAO, Task Force 364 (Honduras)
                                   Broadcast Officer, 367th Public Affairs Det., USAR

Training:                     Graduate, Defense Information School, Ft. Harrison, IN
                                   Public Affairs Officer Course Class 2-84.
Another former CAP officer

ddelaney103

Would it be bad form to suggest that a PAO thread should really proofread their thread title before posting?  It would help to avoid the "poorly trained" label.

NIN

Quote from: ddelaney103 on January 27, 2007, 04:45:19 PM
Would it be bad form to suggest that a PAO thread should really proofread their thread title before posting?  It would help to avoid the "poorly trained" label.

That's incredibly ironical.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pylon

This seems awfully similar to this thread also started by the same person. 

On a side note -- I work in public affairs for my day job, I don't in CAP; I like to do anything else when not at work to stay sane.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Pylon on January 28, 2007, 12:11:58 AM
On a side note -- I work in public affairs for my day job, I don't in CAP; I like to do anything else when not at work to stay sane.

To be straight up, I think this is one thing that drives people away from us. There are people that express interest, we ask them what they do, and then try to sell them on doing the same job for us.

I always have annoyed my various commanders by asking visitors "What would you like to do for us? We have a variety of specialty tracks available."

Those commanders kept telling me that I should ask what skills they can bring to us, and try to use them accordingly. I look at it as we need to ask what interests they can serve with us. It's a better sale when we give them something.

afgeo4

YO!  ;D

Speaking of Public Affairs/Recruiting... I just found this online today:
www.google.com/grants

I think someone at NHQ should take the 30 seconds to fill out the form. The results might be astounding.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

GEORGE LURYE

Spogden

I am the recently former Utah Wing PAO. We just returned to Texas and will most likely become a unit PAO, among other things.

afgeo4

Anyone in the NE wants to attend a Public Affairs Seminar run by NYC Group? It's in works currently.
GEORGE LURYE

davedove

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 28, 2007, 07:21:54 PM

To be straight up, I think this is one thing that drives people away from us. There are people that express interest, we ask them what they do, and then try to sell them on doing the same job for us.

I always have annoyed my various commanders by asking visitors "What would you like to do for us? We have a variety of specialty tracks available."

Those commanders kept telling me that I should ask what skills they can bring to us, and try to use them accordingly. I look at it as we need to ask what interests they can serve with us. It's a better sale when we give them something.

I have to completely agree with this.  I have an accounting degree and work with government accounting every day.  BUT, I don't want to do this for CAP.

If the someone wants to work the same type of job in CAP, that's great, but we shouldn't "force" them to do so.  Even if they are working another job, their expertise is still there for advice.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Pumbaa

I'm hoping to go.  I wantto fly out there, but will have to see. 
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 05:57:48 PM
Anyone in the NE wants to attend a Public Affairs Seminar run by NYC Group? It's in works currently.

NEWGPAO

Pumbaa

Holy crap a zombie thread!

BTW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CAP PAOs, Squadron Commanders, Senior Members and Cadets,

The New York Wing is sponsoring a One-Day FREE PAO Workshop in Syracuse on November 8, 2008, everyone is invited!

Learn from experienced PAOs, National Public Affairs and Marketing personnel as well as local media professionals.  Attached is a flyer regarding the workshop, further details can be found on the following web-page:  http://capli.com/nywgpaoworkshop08.html .

Please forward this to everyone in your squadron and group that you have contact information for, we would like to have a large showing.  PAOs and Squadron/Group Commanders are strongly encouraged to attend, cadets who are interested in public affairs are welcome!

Big_Ed

I am an IC1, Deputy Sq. Commander (30 year member) and a master PAO.

Just completed presentations to 6th & 7th graders at four middle schools with two of my cadet NCOs.  Had a fair turnout at our open house too.  Looking for good things from this latest crop.

Educated and motivated cadets are our best recruiters.  I'd like to see more of an effort (program wide) to include 2nd or 3rd year cadets into our public awareness efforts.

Any thoughts?
Edgar R. Flick, Lt. Colonel, CAP
Emergency Services Training Officer,
Pennsylvania Wing/NERPA001
Member since 1977

Major Carrales

Quote from: Big_Ed on November 02, 2008, 01:26:14 PM
I am an IC1, Deputy Sq. Commander (30 year member) and a master PAO.

Just completed presentations to 6th & 7th graders at four middle schools with two of my cadet NCOs.  Had a fair turnout at our open house too.  Looking for good things from this latest crop.

Educated and motivated cadets are our best recruiters.  I'd like to see more of an effort (program wide) to include 2nd or 3rd year cadets into our public awareness efforts.

Any thoughts?

Welcome,

I have a flight of cadet at the school that I teach.  Presentations are excellent, but be sure to follow up.  You have to sort of make a CAP presence in the school.  Get the guidance counselor some DDR posters, get permission to put up some recruiting posters and offer some guest speakers (like an AE offier) to offer some "hands on training" in a science class.

I have also found that allowing Middle School cadets to make presentations to Elementary schools serves a twofold purpose.  1) Gets the word about CAP into the young and may stir future cadets and 2) lets Middle School aged cadets payforward the knowledge they learned in Leadership and Aerospace.

Hope you enjoy the suggestions.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: NEWGPAO on November 02, 2008, 08:12:32 AM
Am a newly appointed PAO for Nebraska Wing. Am preparing for a CI.

Welcome,

There are some really high quality PAOs here at CAPTALK.  As they make themselves known, give them a shout out via PM.

The spreading of useful information is a good quality of a place like CAPTALK.  Avoid the political machinations, dogpiling and rumer milling (which often happen in all forums) and you will find a treasure trove of information.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pumbaa on November 02, 2008, 10:00:45 AM
Holy crap a zombie thread!

BTW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CAP PAOs, Squadron Commanders, Senior Members and Cadets,

The New York Wing is sponsoring a One-Day FREE PAO Workshop in Syracuse on November 8, 2008, everyone is invited!

Learn from experienced PAOs, National Public Affairs and Marketing personnel as well as local media professionals.  Attached is a flyer regarding the workshop, further details can be found on the following web-page:  http://capli.com/nywgpaoworkshop08.html .

Please forward this to everyone in your squadron and group that you have contact information for, we would like to have a large showing.  PAOs and Squadron/Group Commanders are strongly encouraged to attend, cadets who are interested in public affairs are welcome!

Hey Guy,

It's Halloween time...zombies walk the earth!!!

The event you mention is much out of my range, but I recommend it to anyone in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Deleware) of the once British Colonies (we are studying this presently in American History).

These activities allow you to see the plan and goal inplace for Public Affairs.  Remember, you are not "on your own."  These are great places to network.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Eeyore

PAO here, although in the last few months I've started to slowly drift toward just doing Cadet Program stuff. I work in PA for my day job and was starting to get burnt out on the stuff.

Major Carrales

Quote from: edmo1 on November 02, 2008, 06:03:30 PM
PAO here, although in the last few months I've started to slowly drift toward just doing Cadet Program stuff. I work in PA for my day job and was starting to get burnt out on the stuff.

No shame it that whatsoever, I've been a bit of a CAP "GENERALIST" since about 16 October 2006.  It is the embodiment of the WHOLE CAP IDEA, where we don;t just serve the master of one aspect of CAP, but rather the concept of a GREATER CAP.

Commanders, CP and ES people should understand that the PAO is their friend and greatest ally.

Lastly, burnout has been big in CAP while I have been around to observe.  Changing the pace is a good thing.  Once a person feels "drained" they aren't getting out of CAP those things that drive them; a change of scenery can allow a person to really take the needed break.  Plus, if you work it out properly, you can have a great time and rewarding experience with Cadets.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

BuckeyeDEJ

PA here, but not an active one these days, since I'm a squadron commander.

In real life, I edit a newspaper in St. Petersburg, Fla., but before that, I was a visual editor/designer at The Detroit News (1A, second-string sports), the Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune (1a, metro), the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (assistant graphics editor) and a few smaller newspapers.

Yip, I'm a journalist in real life. That makes being a PA a little more difficult, but in ways better, since I see both sides of the fence. (It also makes a cynic of me sometimes, since I know what a newspaper does with many news releases....)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Major Carrales

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 02, 2008, 07:49:27 PM

In real life, I edit a newspaper in St. Petersburg, Fla., but before that, I was a visual editor/designer at The Detroit News (1A, second-string sports), the Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune (1a, metro), the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (assistant graphics editor) and a few smaller newspapers.

Yip, I'm a journalist in real life. That makes being a PA a little more difficult, but in ways better, since I see both sides of the fence. (It also makes a cynic of me sometimes, since I know what a newspaper does with many news releases....)

I see the same thing happened to you. I am a teacher in my day job, but a CAP PAO for CAP.   I took command of my unit and actually had lots of success as a PAO mined commander.  It has really helped that I could use the Command position to further the work of CAP to the media and general public.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 02, 2008, 09:12:16 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 02, 2008, 07:49:27 PM

I see the same thing happened to you. I am a teacher in my day job, but a CAP PAO for CAP.   I took command of my unit and actually had lots of success as a PAO mined commander.  It has really helped that I could use the Command position to further the work of CAP to the media and general public.

Yeah, I was a PA before I was a squadron commander. I was the group PA for groups 5 and 3 in Ohio and for groups 5 and 8 in Florida. But since my boss believes being an old man is a full-time gig in CAP, I'm no longer a PA. It's better this way, because it removes any conflicts I'd have as an editor who would consume any news CAP might generate.

That said, it's unfortunate that many times, squadron PAs are the least-equipped staffers in a local unit. And many times, the position is thrown to someone who has no business holding it -- whether because the commander sees it as an extraneous position, or because the person is good with scrapbooking, or because the person knows someone.... CAP needs crack PAs -- salespeople who can work with media! -- at the local level to market the organization, not some old fogey who stands in front of a recruiting booth shoving hot pretzels down his gullet.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

majdomke

Greetings fellow PAO's,

I'm the current PAO for our composite squadron. In my past life as a cadet, 20+ years ago, I was also the squadron PAO as a cadet and the assistant Michigan Wing PAO prior to enlisting in the AF. It was kind of unusual to have a cadet fulfilling a SM role, but the spot was vacant, I applied and was accepted. As part of being a PAO, you are in some ways also the Recruiting Officer since you tend to be the face of CAP. :clap:

Eeyore

I do dislike when it is assumed that you should do the Recruiting Officer duties, or that your primary function is recruiting. I've run across quite a few people that seem to be confused over the duties of a PAO versus a Recruiting Officer. As a PAO my job is not necessarily to organize the open houses and put together recruiting packets, I am happy to help, but the Recruiting Officer should be taking point on those types of events.

I've also found a few commanders that have no experience with public affairs who believe that every press release should be published in every newspaper in the area and want press releases for every little thing and get a little cranky when they aren't published. I've had a few tongue lashings for not being able to get articles published, when frankly they weren't all that news worthy.

flyerthom

TC

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: edmo1 on November 04, 2008, 09:38:28 PM
I've also found a few commanders that have no experience with public affairs who believe that every press release should be published in every newspaper in the area and want press releases for every little thing and get a little cranky when they aren't published. I've had a few tongue lashings for not being able to get articles published, when frankly they weren't all that news worthy.
There needs to be some common sense exercised on when to and who to send news releases.

Kid joins as a new cadet? Zzzzzzzz. Someone has a radio-operator class? Happens all the time.

Cadet earns staff sergeant? Blah.

Mitchell Award? Earhart, Eaker or Spaatz? Major-metro papers don't care, because their audiences are much larger.

But community dailies and weeklies do.

Sometimes fly days and practice exercises are good visual stories for TV stations. But PAs must ensure they package and present a deeper story as to why the flights are ensuing and why ground and air crews are practicing tactics.

When do the "big" papers and broadcast networks care? When there's a high-profile search mission, for one....

How about for CAP Web sites? I've seen the most mundane "news" posted -- and occasionally, non-CAP news involving CAP members! -- and it's stuff that is better posted in a squadron newsletter. The audience is much broader and more general.

What it boils down to is that the squadron PA needs to advise a commander, but the PA also needs to know how to "feed the beast." Commanders can't expect every sneeze at a weekly unit meeting to produce a news release. And not everything that works for a newspaper works for TV, and vice versa... it's all targeting and perspective.

Capflyer

Michigan Wing PAO here...:-)
Not very active on posting here but monitor these forums regularly.

Work in Marketing/PR and got my first PAO training in Air Force.

Mike Sandstrom, Capt.
Director of Public Affairs
Michigan Wing

usafcap1

C/A1C R. A. Smith - Cadet Recruiter
Paine Field Composite Squadron - CAP
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

usafcap1

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

SarDragon

Quote from: usafcap1 on June 02, 2012, 07:37:45 AM
PAE Composite Squadron - CAP

FTFY. There are no [SM] A1Cs in CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

whatevah

A1C R. A. Smith - Cadet Recruiter

Who is R. A. Smith?  We don't mind if people on here are anonymous, but using fake names is a no-no. Also, and there is no "PAE Composite Squadron" in WAWG.  Your squadron is the Paine Field Composite Squadron, that meets at an airport with the identifier of PAE/KPAE. There is a difference.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

usafcap1

Quote from: whatevah on June 02, 2012, 09:18:39 AM
A1C R. A. Smith - Cadet Recruiter

Who is R. A. Smith?  We don't mind if people on here are anonymous, but using fake names is a no-no. Also, and there is no "PAE Composite Squadron" in WAWG.  Your squadron is the Paine Field Composite Squadron, that meets at an airport with the identifier of PAE/KPAE. There is a difference.

R. A. Smith is my name

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: SarDragon on June 02, 2012, 08:57:02 AM

It should be known that I am talking about a cadet grade/rank. Of course A1C is not a SM grade/rank everyone should know that.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

SarDragon

Quote from: usafcap1 on June 02, 2012, 09:36:28 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 02, 2012, 08:57:02 AM

It should be known that I am talking about a cadet grade/rank. Of course A1C is not a SM grade/rank everyone should know that.

Then you should use the proper grade abbreviation. And everyone doesn't "know that".
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Walkman

I was unit PAO in RMR-UT-049 for about 3 years. I'm Recruiting & Retention now (and ESO).

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: davedove on January 31, 2007, 06:13:45 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on January 28, 2007, 07:21:54 PM

I have to completely agree with this.  I have an accounting degree and work with government accounting every day.  BUT, I don't want to do this for CAP.

If the someone wants to work the same type of job in CAP, that's great, but we shouldn't "force" them to do so.  Even if they are working another job, their expertise is still there for advice.

All true. A few months ago, I left the public affairs director job in CAP's largest wing (Florida). And I'm a working journalist (not to be confused with public affairs, since the two are only remotely related even though they have much the same skill set). CAP public affairs could benefit from having media professionals and public relations professionals step up and get involved, especially since many times folks with good intentions and not much else wind up in PA positions, even at the wing level. These are the folks who many times are the public face of CAP. We need to ensure we put our best foot forward off the bat, and not trip over ourselves. But I can see and feel the frustration of being in a career field and declining to do that job in CAP. Right now, I'm as far away from public affairs as I can be, and I don't feel too much heartburn over it (mostly because of a few former wing staff colleagues who don't understand the role of public affairs in a changing media environment), but it sometimes frustrates me to see the quality of news releases, online stories, photos, even the Volunteer.