2011 National Conference & 70th Anniversary Theme/Logo Contest

Started by CAP Producer, December 29, 2010, 03:47:29 PM

Rowan

Quote from: Pylon on March 31, 2011, 03:46:38 PM
This is the best compelling reason yet for adding an "actively vomiting" smiley to the site's assortment.

+1   :clap:

kmbarnes1

I really hate that triangle thing... we're in the process of creating a squadron patch and one of our cadet entries had it on there. That entry was quickly discarded...
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

davidsinn

Quote from: kmbarnes1 on March 31, 2011, 04:54:53 PM
I really hate that triangle thing... we're in the process of creating a squadron patch and one of our cadet entries had it on there. That entry was quickly discarded...

Did you let them know why?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

kmbarnes1

Personally, I didn't. My cadet commander beat me to it...blurted out right in the poor c/Amn's face, "thats not our logo!" The cadet quickly changed his design...
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

davidsinn

Quote from: kmbarnes1 on March 31, 2011, 04:58:44 PM
Personally, I didn't. My cadet commander beat me to it...blurted out right in the poor c/Amn's face, "thats not our logo!" The cadet quickly changed his design...

Oops  ;D At least he understands now.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Bluelakes 13

All this nonsense about the logo aside, it's unfortunate that, yet again, an expensive venue was selected.  I thought of going to this one since it's in the GLR, but the 4 night stay + parking + conference is over $600...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on March 31, 2011, 05:26:50 PM
All this nonsense about the logo aside, it's unfortunate that, yet again, an expensive venue was selected.  I thought of going to this one since it's in the GLR, but the 4 night stay + parking + conference is over $600...

The problem is that most of the places capable of accommodating the numbers that attend the national conference also happen to be expensive.

RiverAux

It should not at all be hard to find a cheaper place to stay than the conference hotel for individual members that want to go.  I recently went to a work conference where the rooms would have been something like $130 a night.  This was probably not out of line for this particular hotel, but was much higher than usual for this particular conference.  So, I found a chain motel outside of town for $39 a night that was perfectly acceptable. 

Of course, I'm sure CAP guaranteed the hotel a certain number of room bookings based on those whose attendance is being funded by the Wings and CAP NHQ.  They'll have to stay there or probably CAP would have to pay a fee for not filling all the rooms they said they would.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 31, 2011, 05:45:35 PM
Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on March 31, 2011, 05:26:50 PM

The problem is that most of the places capable of accommodating the numbers that attend the national conference also happen to be expensive.

You can't stay anywhere you won't be concerned about your health of safety these days for less than $80-100, at least nowhere I'd want to stay.
And conferences aren't free.  If we want more than lunch at the VFW, this is what these things cost.  Split between two people the rooms aren't
really that big a deal.

I just got back from Las Vegas and stayed across the street from the LVCC, the peak nights were $359 a night.  I could have stayed on the strip for
less, but then you've got to be paying for cabs there and back, so factor $20-50 a day for that.

Stuff costs money.

I'm debating on going myself.  I did the Louisville drive last Fall for a show and it wasn't that big a deal, but I'll tell you this, Louisville is not Paris.
If the weather is decent it might be a nice ride on the bike.  Maybe I can convince ICENICE and the SD to take the trip with me.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I don't have any problem with CAP holding national conferences and banquets - under the stipulation that we don't lose money doing them.  If the costs to run it can be covered by sponsors, etc - then I'm good, otherwise, I think it's just bad business.

I don't even have a problem with it being a bit expensive for the average member to go.  Doing CAP stuff costs money, whether its buying your uniform accessories or making the choice to spend a week in San Diego.  If CAP's membership isn't willing to support it financially, why should anyone else?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: kmbarnes1 on March 31, 2011, 04:58:44 PM

It pleases me that cadets all over the country get it when it comes to the CAP identity crisis.  That is good news for our future.  Hopefully they won't totally destroy it by the time they get to be in charge. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: davidsinn on March 31, 2011, 02:07:11 PM

This monstrosity was in my email this morning. Is this the logo?

It looks like someone at National Headquarters did this, judging by the general feel of it, the type choices and the availability of that godawful illegal logo. Was the fix in?

Oh, well. Guess Florida Wing will adopt its own now, especially since they're not sharing this (not that anyone wants it).

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

addo1

Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

manfredvonrichthofen

Absolutely disgusting! I can't stand that thing, I wonder who came up with the triangle thingy.

MSG Mac

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 31, 2011, 09:14:01 PM
I don't have any problem with CAP holding national conferences and banquets - under the stipulation that we don't lose money doing them.  If the costs to run it can be covered by sponsors, etc - then I'm good, otherwise, I think it's just bad business.

I don't even have a problem with it being a bit expensive for the average member to go.  Doing CAP stuff costs money, whether its buying your uniform accessories or making the choice to spend a week in San Diego.  If CAP's membership isn't willing to support it financially, why should anyone else?
Ha anyone else noticed that the number of members attending the conferences have been going down every year? At one time you could expect the paid attendees to be close to a thousand. In the last few years it's been closer to 5-600 depending on the location. last year in San Diego they didn't even have exhibitors (other than Vanguard). I'm planning on going, but it's still a 1500 mile R/T drive. and with gas prices mounting maybe not.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Ned

If it helps, I hear the MC for the banquet will be amusing . . . .

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Quote from: addo1 on April 11, 2011, 04:54:39 PM
It has been officially announced yesterday ladies and gentlemen. You may find the story and the announcement here: http://www.capvolunteernow.com/news.cfm/logo_unveiled_for_2011_annual_conference_70th_cap_anniversary?show=news&newsID=10407.
The triangle thingy was included on a logo designed by a safety officer?  I submit the traingle thingy is a safety hazard, with several pointy edges that could hurt somebody.   >:D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Al Sayre

Yeah, and the aircraft appears to be exceeding 60 degrees of bank...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787