2010-11 Rewrite of the Commanders Guide.

Started by CadetProgramGuy, November 28, 2010, 02:26:58 AM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: arajca on December 04, 2010, 02:47:09 PM
7. Appoint staff members in eServices - recommended practice. CAPF 2a is acceptable, but need to make sure it gets to the right people at ALL levels.

Is a 2a still important for the member's file so that they can prove what they did for PD purposes?

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 04, 2010, 08:18:40 PM
Is a 2a still important for the member's file so that they can prove what they did for PD purposes?

It depends on the office and the wing.

eServices show the in-service dates for the appointment, but some regs still require a hardcopy because of the acceptance
of responsibility for property, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

All,

Thanks for making changes and fixing the typos.  I have wrote about 15 more pages to the entire book, but in hindsight, i did not pull the Google Docs to keep the changes in the master doc.

Thanks for all the hard work!!

CPG

arajca

Something to consider for the Table of Contents is to take advantage of Word's reference functions. Use headings for major and minor section titles (Heading 1 for "Senior Staff Positions", Heading 2 for each position) then, instead of tediously typing each one and trying to get the spacing right, use Insert|Reference|Table of Contents and presto! the ToC is created with page numbers AND links to each major and minor section. The same function exists for Table of Figures and Table of Pictures, if needed.

Eclipse

^ How well does that translate to other formats and platforms?

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

When converted to pdf, the table remains, and the links can be active if set properly. Open Office, I don't know. I haven't used that in a few years, but I think it has the same functionality.

4fhoward

I found this while poking around the Air University

Commanding an Air Force Squadron in the Twenty-First Century:
A Practical Guide of Tips and Techniques for Today's Squadron Commander

http://aupress.au.af.mil/digital/pdf/book/Smith_Commanding.pdf

AdAstra

I also highly recommend AU-2: Guidelines for Command, which can be downloaded free at http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/digital/pdf/book/AU-2.pdf, as well as Concepts for Air Force Leadership, which can be ordered free from AU Press (still not available for download, as far as I can find out).

However, AU-2 Concepts for Air Force Leadership, and Commanding an Air Force Squadron address Air Force leadership, not CAP leadership. Lots of good thoughts and insights, but CAP has some unique differences. And articles on leadership by CAP leaders are few and far between.

FWIW, as director of Unit Commanders Courses for the last few years, I've tried to frame the content around assuming command, the priorities and important steps that a new commander should address.

Trying to find time to get back to helping with the re-write of the CO Guide....
Charles Wiest

CadetProgramGuy

All,

Well its been a week, and bad for me, I have not made any headway on this project.  I have had finals this week, then my paramedic test is in another week or so.

Thanks for all that assisted so far!!

SARDOC

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 16, 2010, 04:53:21 PM
All,

Well its been a week, and bad for me, I have not made any headway on this project.  I have had finals this week, then my paramedic test is in another week or so.

That's okay...it'll still be there in two weeks.  Focus on your Paramedic exam...NREMT-P exam is a #&$(%...I say that but it's been about 17 years since I've taken it.

Just remember when in doubt...start your assessment from the beginning and focus on your priorities.

Slim

Quote from: SARDOC on December 16, 2010, 08:23:15 PM
All,

That's okay...it'll still be there in two weeks.  Focus on your Paramedic exam...NREMT-P exam is a #&$(%...I say that but it's been about 17 years since I've taken it.

Just remember when in doubt...start your assessment from the beginning and focus on your priorities.

And don't forget those BLS skills, either.  Most people flub the registry because they jump right into the advanced stuff.

Slim

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Slim on December 17, 2010, 10:51:14 PM
Quote from: SARDOC on December 16, 2010, 08:23:15 PM
All,

And don't forget those BLS skills, either.  Most people flub the registry because they jump right into the advanced stuff.

The skill sheets are your friends, speaking as both an evaluator and an instructor - particularly with the BLS skills. The "random BLS skill" station seems to be the killer for many in this part of the world, especially when the KED is involved.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

CadetProgramGuy

Well, So Sorry folks, but the re-write is still in the same spot it was in December.  Haven't lost the interest, just lost most of my free time.

I passed my Paramedic and an running like a paramedic does.  I work 50+ hours a week then go home to my family.  I have even dropped my CAP membership cause I don't have the time to make it worthwhile.

However (comma) I will get back to it, then post for editing comments.

Semper Vigilans!!

CPG - James

Capt Rivera

Dropped your membership? What about patron status, etc?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

CadetProgramGuy

I have several reasons for dropping the membership, all of which are personal in nature.  Patron status maybe in the future, but I no longer have the time or effort in pursuing more than what I already have.  Being highly involved in Masons at this time and possibly getting a Boy Scout Venture crew in the lodge, I have my hands full.

Thanks for caring though, I will always be a lurker in the threads.

CPG