Main Menu

AAAAHHH! We got ZAPPED!

Started by ♠SARKID♠, October 09, 2010, 07:10:49 PM

♠SARKID♠

Just found this on the window to our hangar door.  Looks like some visitors from down south came to pay Milwaukee a visit!  :D
Awesome morale zap too!

DakRadz

Alrighty sir, I must know what the story behind this is. Never seen it before.
:D
I'll go ahead and say I'm guessing it's a sort of fun game type deal. ::)

jimmydeanno

Many military units will plaster their unit sticker wherever they go.  For example, the 101st refueling wing (Maine Air National Guard) has sticker with a KC-10 on them that says "MAINEiacs."  I've seen them as far as Chitose JASDF base.

"Competing" units will often times try to cover their rivals stickers with their own.

Looks like this CAP unit has taken up the tradition.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DakRadz

I JUST REALIZED!

One of the best cadets in my flight from encampment is in GA-153. He's probably going to end up reading this- Howdy, Sgt!

Plus, ELVIS!

So, time to get some stickers made up >:D

Thanks for the explanation, sir :D

Slim

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 09, 2010, 07:27:44 PM
Many military units will plaster their unit sticker wherever they go.  For example, the 101st refueling wing (Maine Air National Guard) has sticker with a KC-10 on them that says "MAINEiacs."  I've seen them as far as Chitose JASDF base.

I've seen it.  There was an old squadron operations building at Alpena CRTC whose scheduling board was so covered with zaps that it was almost unusable.  The all-ranks club on base is similarly covered with stickers, patches, scarves, t-shirts, and other memorabilia on pretty much every surface.  Including the peaked ceiling.

Slim

Top Dawg

That's my squadron! This is the pilot's patch, it was probably Major Gluck. He travels a lot
C/Capt Hillman
Cadet Commander,  GA-153

Stonewall

I love it!

There isn't a C-130 or C-17 that doesn't have a sticker from a unit they flew.  Usually in some out of the way place!

Awesome morale booster and quite sneaky!  Good Job GA-153.
Serving since 1987.

CommGeek

They stole their 'motto' from the 510th Fighter Squadron that flies out of Aviano Air Base....

Slim

Quote from: CommGeek on October 09, 2010, 11:23:15 PM
They stole their 'motto' from the 510th Fighter Squadron that flies out of Aviano Air Base....

Not to mention the Coast Guard...

Slim

DakRadz

But were those two referencing Elvis?

Seems like a valid and important consideration..

I am honestly curious about that- couldn't find anything thru Google.

Slim

Quote from: DakRadz on October 10, 2010, 12:05:54 AM
But were those two referencing Elvis?

Seems like a valid and important consideration..

I am honestly curious about that- couldn't find anything thru Google.

A very similar patch has been used as morale patches by the Coast Guard.  I don't have one, here is but one example.

Of course, I'm not saying that the motto should be exclusive to the UCSG.

Slim

SarDragon

Back in the dark ages (early '70s), before stickers were readily available, zaps were painted on, usually as a silhouette. At OMD, Brunswick, Maine, we used a lobster outline, done with red paint. We had two sizes, depending on what we were zapping.

The best one I was ever involved in was on an F-111, complete with armed guard. It was down for RON maintenance, and the AF maintenance team brought a couple of security guys with them. While one was at chow, the other one, out at the plane, needed to make a head call, really bad.

We were ready. A ladder, red spray paint, and the large stencil got trotted out, and we even had time to do both sides. Since it was dark, the red on black well above eye level wasn't obvious.

However comma the next morning it was VERY obvious, and the compost hit the air circulating device! An investigation by our division officer ended with negative results.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Karatian on October 09, 2010, 08:35:13 PM
That's my squadron! This is the pilot's patch, it was probably Major Gluck. He travels a lot

Ask him for me.  I'd like to know if I have to send an agent down to GA for retaliation :)

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on October 10, 2010, 02:33:16 AM
Back in the dark ages (early '70s), before stickers were readily available, zaps were painted on, usually as a silhouette. At OMD, Brunswick, Maine, we used a lobster outline, done with red paint. We had two sizes, depending on what we were zapping.

The best one I was ever involved in was on an F-111, complete with armed guard. It was down for RON maintenance, and the AF maintenance team brought a couple of security guys with them. While one was at chow, the other one, out at the plane, needed to make a head call, really bad.

We were ready. A ladder, red spray paint, and the large stencil got trotted out, and we even had time to do both sides. Since it was dark, the red on black well above eye level wasn't obvious.

However comma the next morning it was VERY obvious, and the compost hit the air circulating device! An investigation by our division officer ended with negative results.

Il-76 (C-141'ski) nose gear well while at Gander IAP, Gander, NF. 
Interestedly, the Russians don't seem to have stickers or even grasp the concept of "Zapping" aircraft.

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 09, 2010, 07:27:44 PM

"Competing" units will often times try to cover their rivals stickers with their own.

Looks like this CAP unit has taken up the tradition.

So far, Philadelphia International has not complained about the growing collection in their elevator...  There is a MAINEiacs sticker there too.

♠SARKID♠

Seeing that zap today inspired me to finally re-design ours.  Our squadron is called the Timmerman Composite Squadron, named after the airport we meet at.  We're big fans of Saturday morning cartoons and all things amusing pop culture so to us Timmerman Composite Squadron = TICS = The Tick  :D

The old one was kind of bleh...

So I made it new!

ColonelJack

Hey!  That's my unit!  Way to go, Major Gluck!!!

:clap:

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ColonelJack

Quote from: Stonewall on October 09, 2010, 10:54:11 PM
I love it!

There isn't a C-130 or C-17 that doesn't have a sticker from a unit they flew.  Usually in some out of the way place!

Awesome morale booster and quite sneaky!  Good Job GA-153.

I'll pass your kudos on to our CC, my friend.  He'll love hearing that!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Al Sayre

Quote from: PHall on October 10, 2010, 04:30:47 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 10, 2010, 02:33:16 AM

Il-76 (C-141'ski) nose gear well while at Gander IAP, Gander, NF. 
Interestedly, the Russians don't seem to have stickers or even grasp the concept of "Zapping" aircraft.

I can neither confirm nor deny that Air Force 2 got zapped by someone from OMD Sigonella in the 1984 time frame  ;D  I can however confirm that a major butt chewing took place...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Larry Mangum

A russian plane was zapped, when the 388th TFW was deployed to Norway as part of an exercise in the late 70's.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001