Main Menu

Wing Conference

Started by fish7days, February 13, 2024, 02:41:16 PM

fish7days

I am planning on attending the FL Wing conference in May 2024. I have the following uniforms: Full set ABU, Corporate Senior and Blues, without a jacket. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the general dress code is at a typical banquet. I don't want to buy a jacket and all the "fixins" unless I have to, and if I have to, I should do it sooner than later.

Opinions greatly appreciated!

Thx!
1st Lt - CAP
Transportation Mission Pilot - CSEL / Instrument
South African Infantry Instructor 1983 - 1985
South African Infantry Pro Patria Combat Medal Recipient

fish7days

Just answered my own question:

https://flwg.cap.gov/news/events/2024-florida-wing-conference/what-to-wear

It was not there when I registered and I did not look again before posting.....
1st Lt - CAP
Transportation Mission Pilot - CSEL / Instrument
South African Infantry Instructor 1983 - 1985
South African Infantry Pro Patria Combat Medal Recipient

ML07

Quote from: fish7days on February 13, 2024, 02:44:01 PMJust answered my own question:

https://flwg.cap.gov/news/events/2024-florida-wing-conference/what-to-wear

It was not there when I registered and I did not look again before posting.....

Relatable
C/1stLt, CAP
C/CC
C/ITO
C/Comm

Eclipse

Quote from: fish7days on February 13, 2024, 02:41:16 PMI was wondering if anyone can tell me what the general dress code is at a typical banquet.

Literally anything and everything.

Wear what you have, and probably a civilian jacket to the banquet if you feel like it,
otherwise whites or blues will be fine.

There will be at least one member at the banquet in a golf shirt, and no one will care.

"That Others May Zoom"

ML07

Quote from: Eclipse on February 13, 2024, 07:33:13 PM
Quote from: fish7days on February 13, 2024, 02:41:16 PMI was wondering if anyone can tell me what the general dress code is at a typical banquet.

Wear what you have, and probably a civilian jacket to the banquet if you feel like it

This is the way. Been a cadet for four years, never owned the Blues service jacket and probably never will, I can spend my money on better things.

Every wing conference I've gone too, I've worn Class B blues for the sessions and a civilian jacket w/ button down and tie. Works great.

C/1stLt, CAP
C/CC
C/ITO
C/Comm

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: ML07 on February 13, 2024, 11:05:29 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 13, 2024, 07:33:13 PM

Wear what you have, and probably a civilian jacket to the banquet if you feel like it

This is the way. Been a cadet for four years, never owned the Blues service jacket and probably never will, I can spend my money on better things.

Every wing conference I've gone too, I've worn Class B blues for the sessions and a civilian jacket w/ button down and tie. Works great.

^ THIS

And I appreciate a cadet officer saying "I can spend on better things" who manages to adjust fire in the absence of optional attire and wear what is appropriate.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 13, 2024, 07:33:13 PMLiterally anything and everything.

Wear what you have, and probably a civilian jacket to the banquet if you feel like it,
otherwise whites or blues will be fine.

There will be at least one member at the banquet in a golf shirt, and no one will care.

Bob, you should really stop saying things like this. You're not part of the solution when you do that, you're a part of the problem.

As has been stated, a civilian coat & tie is totally acceptable in this instance. It is preferable to a Class B uniform or less.

I was invited to a nearby wing's awards banquet recently. Great time with old friends and my wife. Had a ball.  But here I am, in mess dress (hey, it was on the list, so I wore it, and I was the only guy there in mess dress.. I was so out of place...), and look over at another table and there's a fellow in a long-sleeve waffle-pattern 3/4 button henley shirt. I suspect a cadet's dad if I don't miss my guess.

Look, I'm not asking people to be totally into haberdashery and serve as a sartorial example. But wear what (should) be "church wear" at least. An awards dinner or conference banquet is an "occasion," so please attempt to dress like its an "occasion" and not "every day."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on February 28, 2024, 09:28:15 PMBut wear what (should) be "church wear" at least.

Tell me you haven't been to church lately without telling me you haven't been to church lately.

The conference is on the 4-5 of April.  I'd say the over / under is somewhere around 5 people not "dressed for church".

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 29, 2024, 12:15:38 AMTell me you haven't been to church lately without telling me you haven't been to church lately.

That is fair.  However, when I do wind up in a church, its funerals & weddings.  I'm wearing a coat & a tie. Always.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Shuman 14

Well, I think the simple answer is... in the Banquet Invitation (flyer, memorandum, operations order, etc.) spell out exactly what is authorized for wear. For example:

"Authorized Uniform of the Day is: USAF-style Mess Dress Uniform, USAF-style Semi-formal uniform and Corporate Semi-formal uniform or Sister Service equivalent.

Authorized civilian attire is: Black Tie Formal Wear, Suit Coat with Shirt and Tie, Evening Gown or Cocktail Dress.

Note: Improperly dressed attendees will not be admitted."

If you put this on the invitations, there will be no excuses.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: Eclipse on February 29, 2024, 12:15:38 AMTell me you haven't been to church lately without telling me you haven't been to church lately.

I think that depends on the church. There is a Latin Mass congregation in my area where every male over 13 is in a suit and tie and women and girls wear veils. I went to Mass there once in an button down and dress trousers and felt really under dressed.

I guess I'm saying your church is a little less formal than others. (Not that's a bad thing.)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

ColonelJack

Quote from: Eclipse on February 13, 2024, 07:33:13 PMThere will be at least one member at the banquet in a golf shirt, and no one will care.

I will offer a slightly different perspective here.

Most likely, no one will say anything, not wanting to create a situation.  But quite a few people will care.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia