Cadet Age Limit

Started by Irishrenegade, February 24, 2010, 03:01:30 PM

Irishrenegade

Now I know for a fact this will probably stir up some people on here but it is something that has been cooking in my head for awhile.

You can become a cadet at the age of 12. This to me in my opinion is young and even myself being only 22 I'm young but 12? Now don't get me wrong, I have met some cadets who are 12 years old that come off as if they were 18 but that is a select few that I have met so far. I personally think that NHQ should take a look at this age limit and see what they can do about it and maybe make it a bit higher before you can join.

The one reason why I say this is because of the maturity level of a 12 year old compared to an 18 year old. I mean we are talking about having some squadrons with high schoolers and cadets in 6th grade (correct me if I'm wrong...i was 12 ten years ago and don't remember what grade I was in nor do i want to try to figure that out right now lol). I do however remember how I was character wise at 12 and then at 18. There is a major difference and although at the age of 18 in CAP you should be a mature individual and the role model for the younger cadets, sometimes this can get lost and things that a 18 talks about should probably not be heard by a 12 year old.

That being said...I don't think that we should not give everyone a chance because I am all about giving everyone a fair chance at anything in life, especially a volunteer organization such as this BUT I would hate to see something happen that morally/physically/mentally changes a very young cadet in a negative way. It was a concern that I have brought up and a concern I have heard others bring up. And I am even on the fence about it actually because I think it is a great experience to be here and it will certainly build up character and discipline but at the same time that can only really be done in the proper environment. The mind at 12 is a precious thing and is very delicate...they are still learning and they need a good environment in which to do so.

I figured I would throw that out there and see where it goes.
SWR-OK-113
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets|Information Technology Officer
Is laige ag imeacht as an gcorp í an phian

NY Bred and now in OK

vmstan

When we get 'em while they're young, they'll be better off when they turn 18, or 21, or whatever their end-time is.

I think it's great that they allow 12 y/o, it gives them something better to be doing with their time instead of playing Xbox all day.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

EMT-83

I'm guessing that the ink is still wet on your membership card.

First, the mind of a 12 year old is neither precious nor delicate. The amount of crap kids are exposed to these days from TV, movies, the Internet, and most importantly, school, has taken care of that long before age 12.

Second, your thinking is 180 degrees from the truth. CAP is often the most stable, normal and positive influence in many cadets lives. These are often the cadets who excel in the program and are great role models for younger cadets.

It may sound a bit harsh, but you're barking up the wrong tree.

Майор Хаткевич

I joined right after turning 13, and most of my CAP Career-long friends joined a bit earlier at 12. Most of us (besides the home schooled one), had no problems understanding what the older 16-18 cadets were talking about. 12 year olds aren't innocent, they never really were, but it just makes it easier for parents and others to accept that myth for some reason.

And by the way, most of the cadets who joined at 15-16 seemed to be more set in their ways and would give a lot more push back to the cadet leadership. This especially was an issue when someone like me was placed in charge as a 14 year old C/NCO of 16 year old C/Airmen.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Other groups like the Scouts start even earlier, but in their own "squadron" ie. Cub Scouts. This acts like a pipeline into the group for older kids. Moving our starting age up would only widen the gap.

Spike

Not many years ago the rule was "12 or in sixth grade".  I believe some 10 year olds joined back then, many 11 year olds as well.

jeders

Chris,

I think that you have brought up some valid concerns about cadet age, but my experience as both a cadet and a senior member are completely opposite to those concerns.

It's true that the average 12 year old lacks the maturity that older teens may have. Likewise, the average 15 year old lacks the maturity of the average 20 year old. Personally, I've never met an average teenager in the CAP Cadet Program who's been there for more than 3 months. That's because CAP is a program that creates above average people and allows above average people flourish.

While raising the minimum cadet age might raise the overall maturity level of cadets, I doubt that it would have any substantive effect on the overall program. And it certainly would put those younger potential cadets at a disadvantage because they would loose a major positive influence.

Now, what we should really be discussing is raising the max age of cadets so I can go back and work on my Spaatz.  ;D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Irishrenegade

Valid points everyone!! I guess I'm talking about my childhood and how I was brought up...I went to private school in a hardcore Irish Catholic family so maybe in my mind a 12 yr old should/would be more innocent. I see where everyone is coming from now though for sure. And your not being harsh when you say im barking up the wrong tree...granted Im not really barking just throwing out something I was thinking about while bored at work.

I just know (without naming any of them) far more cadets (12-14 yrs. old) who are in this because their parents are making them go because the parents want alone time at home AND because and I quote from a 13y/old cadet "i can dress up like G.I. Joe!!"...i think CAP is more than that.

And I will also say that even though my "Ink is still wet on my membership card" Ive seen one hell of an improvement from the squadron I transfered from in NY to OK
SWR-OK-113

NY Bred and now in OK

Майор Хаткевич

I originally joined CAP because of the BDUs.

My friend bugged me for 6 months to go to a meeting.

After the initial BDU thing went away, it was Drill.

Then it was the camaraderie.  1- 1.5 years later it turned to teaching younger cadets.

From age 16 to the point that I had to go inactive, the most pleasure I got out of the program was looking at a new cadet who just pinned their first stripe, and think "I helped him get there, and I still remember how good it felt when I got mine too".

Honestly, there are so many different things cadets can focus on, that you can't even pin it down. Some will become major ES geeks. Others will be all about Color Guard/Honor Guard/Drill Team. Some still will love AE. Others will love the "military experience".

There are just so many things to take away from CAP, that it makes no sense to judge the attitudes of the program based on cadets who have been in for less than a year or even two. By the end of my first year I was rocking C/MSgt chevrons. By the end of my second year I was a C/CMSgt. Got my Mitchell on the nose of the 3rd and my Earhart on the 4th.

Obviously my progression slowed from minimum time to double time on promotions, but I had a blast learning and experiencing as much as I could at each and every stage.

Flying Pig

I joined when I was 12, back in 1987.  My son will be joining this August when he turns 12.  I have some young cadets, but they arent "young" very long.  When they see the other older cadets, they immediately want to try and act like the older cadets.  Again, it requires a good cadet staff, good seniors and parents who understand that at age 12, going to encampment right out of the chute may not be a good idea either.

Eeyore

The cadets that are forced to be in the program shouldn't be, plain and simple. In my experience those cadets are the ones that cause the most problems, at our squadron, we often ask the cadets if they want to be there, if they don't we show them the door. A cadet can not grow and develop unless they want to.

When I joined the first time, I joined as a 12 year old cadet. Believe me, I had no problems understanding what the 18 year olds were talking about. Repeating what others have said, we have a chance to get these cadets at a young age and have a great influence developing them into useful leaders. I have seen many squirrely young 12 year olds come in and by 15 they are as mature if not more mature than the average adult I would meet on the street. They have a firm grasp of their skills and know how to implement them wisely.

I don't think 12 years old is too young, it just ives us a chance to develop them at a young age and even if they don't stick around until they are 18, they are better for it.

EMT-83

Spike, I think the 6th grade rule is just for school-based programs.

Spike

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 24, 2010, 04:49:55 PM
I joined when I was 12, back in 1987.  My son will be joining this August when he turns 12.  I have some young cadets, but they arent "young" very long.  When they see the other older cadets, they immediately want to try and act like the older cadets.  Again, it requires a good cadet staff, good seniors and parents who understand that at age 12, going to encampment right out of the chute may not be a good idea either.

I agree with everything you wrote except Encampment.  In my experience, every one of the 12 year old Cadets I ever had went to Encampment as soon as they could.  The listened to the stories from the other Cadets, and told the parents that instead of summer camp they wanted to go to Encampment.

Now, we need to recognize that as Squadron Commanders there are times when a 12 year old and an 18 year old should not be together in various situations.  Physical, and mental maturity is very different between a 12 and 18 years.  Some forget this, and there have been situations where parents have to be calmed down.

I think starting CAP young is the right and correct thing to do, and our National Recruiting Campaign (do we have one??) needs to focus on that.  I feel bad when I get a 17 year old kid wanting to join CAP.  He or she may not get everything out of the program that a younger kid could have.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 24, 2010, 04:54:21 PM

The rule was just going out when I joined CAP in early 2003.

I've met some C/Capt's who were just past 13 at that point too.

Spike

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 24, 2010, 04:54:21 PM

Like USAFAUX said above.  It is now a SEP only rule, you are correct. 

Irishrenegade

So I think you all have given me a different view on the issue...like I said in the OP...I was on the fence so I was not 100 percent for changing the age limit.

I think we can all agree that the issue is making sure everyone is there for the right reasons and the ones that need to be the models are being positive role models.
SWR-OK-113

NY Bred and now in OK

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 24, 2010, 04:49:55 PMAgain, it requires a good cadet staff, good seniors and parents who understand that at age 12, going to encampment right out of the chute may not be a good idea either.

First-year encampment attendance is a significant factor in long-term retention, especially for younger cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

We do have provisions that prevent 18 year old cadets from being 'alone' more or less with the 12-14 year olds, especially at over night activities.

The one NCSA I've been to, I was 15.5, and my roommate was 18. There was nothing that he could have said that would have "mind blown" me at that age.

Irishrenegade

Quote from: Spike on February 24, 2010, 04:57:51 PM

I think starting CAP young is the right and correct thing to do, and our National Recruiting Campaign (do we have one??) needs to focus on that.  I feel bad when I get a 17 year old kid wanting to join CAP.  He or she may not get everything out of the program that a younger kid could have.

Yea I wish I was a cadet...I was a very busy kid in HS and didnt even know it existed until i was about 17 actually. I was in too many sports and other organizations (Key Club) so I never joined...Cadets and Senior officers laugh whenever I stand at attention when my squadron commander or higher Senior officer walks by...i tell them "I was never a cadet...just trying it out" haha
SWR-OK-113

NY Bred and now in OK

Майор Хаткевич

Customs and Courtesies apply to all CAP members, not just cadets.

...In theory. In practice, Military C&C are used by SMs only when it is a ceremony or they want to have some fun.