Main Menu

rumors?

Started by hellfire40, February 23, 2010, 02:02:43 PM

Top Dawg

I saw several cadets at my basic encampment (GAWG Summer) slide by without a haircut within regs only to have them lose points during inspections. During my last encampment (FLWG Winter) any cadet who came in with a bad haircut got a shave... including staff. As my home-squadron's first sergeant, I tell any of my cadets as soon as their cut slips out of regs. The next week if they're still out of regs I give them one of Chief Hillman's Famous Haircuts. Only after getting a parent's permission of course
C/Capt Hillman
Cadet Commander,  GA-153

Eclipse

Quote from: Top Dawg on March 18, 2011, 10:03:21 PM
I saw several cadets at my basic encampment (GAWG Summer) slide by without a haircut within regs only to have them lose points during inspections.

That is the way these things self-level.

Now, if the cadet came to a staffer mid-week and asked regarding getting a haircut to "fix things" during his free time, that, I suppose, is a different
story.  But not mandating or forcing them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Not to mention that acting as a barber without a license to cut hair is a misdemeanor in most states.

Ed Bos

Quote from: Ned on March 18, 2011, 10:58:35 PM
Not to mention that acting as a barber without a license to cut hair is a misdemeanor in most states.

That's interesting... Would the absence of payment be a factor in that? Are you "acting as a barber" if you're not being compensated?
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Eclipse

Quote from: Ned on March 18, 2011, 10:58:35 PM

Does that make Flowbee users criminals?

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

No but walking around with a flowbee haircut is generally a crime against humanity.  You really ought to throw yours away...  >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Ed Bos

EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

MSG Mac

Rather than cut their hair, don't check them into the encampment until their hair is cut.There is usually a barber shop open on the base on the weekends, and a van could be reserved to take these cadets and seniors there. After everyone else has been checked in. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

commando1

At TNWG encampment held at Fort Campbell, KY if you did not meet the grooming standards you were taken to a military barber and given a buzz. No parental permission. At the squadron level I do not tell cadets to get haircuts. I call their parents to take Cadet Scruffy to the barber.  8)
Non Timebo Mala

JoeTomasone

Quote from: PA Guy on February 23, 2010, 07:41:03 PM
No, they do not shave your head at encampment. Your hair must meet the requirements found here http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M39_1_atchs.pdf

At many of the encampments I have attended cadets out of compliance were given a choice, get a haircut or go home. All haircuts were done in a barbershop, amatuer haircuts are an invitation to disaster.

IMHO, this is the proper solution.

Should be that way for all uniform issues - if it's fixable on-site, fix it.    If it's not, or the member chooses not to fix it, the member goes home.

It's when we get lax on standards that they cease to become standards.

M.N.

I'm not sure about encampment, but I have been to activities where you would have your hair cut if it wasn't within regs or be sent home. Most people initially just let them trim around their ears, but then get a flat top after they realize how bad it looks.

Rowan

Okay guys, the solution to the issue discussed in the past two pages is simple. We already have parents sign release forms, travel forms, medication forms, etc. Why not have them also sign a form that says, "I understand that if my son arrives at encampment with hair that does not meet the requirements found in CAPM 39-1 (quote requirements here) he will be taken to the nearest barber for a buzz cut, at his expense." ///signed/// _____________.

Problem solved, no legal ramifications. If the parent doesn't sign the haircut waiver form, their child cannot attend. Est finis.
[/quote]

Several years ago, the GAWG Encampment application package included a separate release form specifically regarding haircuts, but I haven't seen one lately.

ES Ninja

Quote from: ES Ninja on March 18, 2011, 09:20:46 PM
Quote from: Rowan on March 22, 2011, 06:01:55 PM
Okay guys, the solution to the issue discussed in the past two pages is simple. We already have parents sign release forms, travel forms, medication forms, etc. Why not have them also sign a form that says, "I understand that if my son arrives at encampment with hair that does not meet the requirements found in CAPM 39-1 (quote requirements here) he will be taken to the nearest barber for a buzz cut, at his expense." ///signed/// _____________.

Problem solved, no legal ramifications. If the parent doesn't sign the haircut waiver form, their child cannot attend. Est finis.

Several years ago, the GAWG Encampment application package included a separate release form specifically regarding haircuts, but I haven't seen one lately.

I believe NCWG Encampment did that a year or two ago.
Sierra Larson, C/Lt Col, CAP
NCWG CAC Vice Chair
South Charlotte Cadet Squadron