Main Menu

rumors?

Started by hellfire40, February 23, 2010, 02:02:43 PM

hellfire40

do they shave your head at encampment?

Daniel

No. Though if your hair doesn't meet standard, you might wanna ask someone to cut it beforehand or risk missing inspection points.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Rotorhead

Quote from: hellfire40 on February 23, 2010, 02:02:43 PM
do they shave your head at encampment?
At the COWG encampment, if your hair is too long, you'll be sent to the Barber Shop for a haircut that meets CAP standards.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Daniel

At MOWG they gave the $0 swiss-army-knife fix up
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spike

^ Who gave the shave?

Dracosbane

My first encampment WIWAC was at Redstone Arsenal, AL.  I was within regs, except that my hair was behind my ears, but not touching.  They sent me and two other cadets to the base barber for a cut.  I ended up with sunburn on my head the rest of the week, thanks to the mesh trucker hats and the high and tight.

PA Guy

No, they do not shave your head at encampment. Your hair must meet the requirements found here http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M39_1_atchs.pdf

At many of the encampments I have attended cadets out of compliance were given a choice, get a haircut or go home. All haircuts were done in a barbershop, amatuer haircuts are an invitation to disaster.

flyguy06

I run into a lot of cadets at various squadron meetings that need haircuts. They dont meet CAP regsd. I dont know why Squadron CC's allow this. But I usually say something about it if I see it

SarDragon

My comment to an individual needing a haircut is usually, "Nice haircut!", dripping with sarcasm. My comment to the supervising senior is substantially different.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BreakSilence

Getting your head shaved at encampment could actually be perceived as hazing.  At one of my Wing's encampments, a SM got into some hot water with another female SM since he shaved her son's head.  The son was a staff cadet and consented, but that just goes to show it's not a good idea to shave people's heads.  (Actually, I think that was the encampment when Mike Kieloch visited our Wing.)

Pylon

Quote from: BreakSilence on February 25, 2010, 01:40:25 AM
Getting your head shaved at encampment could actually be perceived as hazing.  At one of my Wing's encampments, a SM got into some hot water with another female SM since he shaved her son's head.  The son was a staff cadet and consented, but that just goes to show it's not a good idea to shave people's heads.  (Actually, I think that was the encampment when Mike Kieloch visited our Wing.)

Hah, yeah, I remember the haircuts but I'll be honest.  I don't see anything wrong with offering (not pressuring people into) the haircuts to members.  If a fellow CAP member is proficient with and has clippers, and is willing to do it for free, why not?  There always seem to be people who show up to activities like encampment with hair out of regs.

If a cadet says "Sure, give me a cut!" and mom disapproves a week later, how is that any different than the cadet saying, "Sure, I'll go to the barber!" when we round up cadets for a trip to the base barber for the same buzz cut?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

flyguy06

Quote from: BreakSilence on February 25, 2010, 01:40:25 AM

They should have gotten the parents permission, not the cadets.

Ned

Just a side note:  in some states it is a crime to cut hair without a license as a barber or cosmetologist if there is any sort of compensation involved.

In California, it is a misdemeanor punishable by jail and a fine.

Interestingly, it takes a 1,500 hour   course to get such a license.   ;)

Spike

^ Those scissors and razors are sure complicated things to figure out.   :P

Pylon

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 25, 2010, 02:34:52 AM

Really?  Cadet Dufflebag goes to encampment, and he is (not his parents) held responsible for meeting the standards, learning the material, being accountable for his actions, etc. during the week (at least that's what we preach, right?).   So, if cadets need haircuts and the encampment staff takes a van load of those who want/need haircuts to the base barber or offers them there, Cadet Dufflebag should suddenly absolve himself of any decision-making capability and ask for a phone to call home and ask if he can have a haircut?   Why should we stop there, then.   What about parental informed consent for trimming nails?  Should we worry about parental backlash everytime we tell a cadet to shave that precious peach fuzz stache?    I mean, folks, this isn't a tattoo -- it grows back! (well for cadets, it does)

The real issue the above mentioned parent had was between the parent and the cadet.  If someone's son or daughter decides to get a haircut that they know or think Mom might not approve of, that's their decision and they face the consequences.  CAP is only concerned with the cadet meeting the regulation (and parents are typically well briefed when their son or daughter joins CAP on what those expectations will be).  So if Cadet Dufflebag has a well-groomed princeton cut and decides at encampment to get a high-n-tight from the barber, that's not CAP's problem.  As far as CAP is concerned, either way, Dufflebag's hair is in regs and perhaps we even note that he showed good forethought by availing himself of an opportunity to simplify his grooming for the duration of encampment.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Quote from: Ned on February 25, 2010, 02:53:29 AM
Just a side note:  in some states it is a crime to cut hair without a license as a barber or cosmetologist if there is any sort of compensation involved.

In California, it is a misdemeanor punishable by jail and a fine.

Interestingly, it takes a 1,500 hour   course to get such a license.   ;)

As you are well aware professionally, California has a law for just about everything, no?

flyguy06

Quote from: Pylon on February 25, 2010, 03:42:35 AM

Really?  Cadet Dufflebag goes to encampment, and he is (not his parents) held responsible for meeting the standards, learning the material, being accountable for his actions, etc. during the week (at least that's what we preach, right?).   So, if cadets need haircuts and the encampment staff takes a van load of those who want/need haircuts to the base barber or offers them there, Cadet Dufflebag should suddenly absolve himself of any decision-making capability and ask for a phone to call home and ask if he can have a haircut?   Why should we stop there, then.   What about parental informed consent for trimming nails?  Should we worry about parental backlash everytime we tell a cadet to shave that precious peach fuzz stache?    I mean, folks, this isn't a tattoo -- it grows back! (well for cadets, it does)

The real issue the above mentioned parent had was between the parent and the cadet.  If someone's son or daughter decides to get a haircut that they know or think Mom might not approve of, that's their decision and they face the consequences.  CAP is only concerned with the cadet meeting the regulation (and parents are typically well briefed when their son or daughter joins CAP on what those expectations will be).  So if Cadet Dufflebag has a well-groomed princeton cut and decides at encampment to get a high-n-tight from the barber, that's not CAP's problem.  As far as CAP is concerned, either way, Dufflebag's hair is in regs and perhaps we even note that he showed good forethought by availing himself of an opportunity to simplify his grooming for the duration of encampment.

I would agree with you if we were taling about a soldier. but we are talking about someone under the age of 18 who cant make legal decisions. So before I touched a cadet, i would wanthis parent, who is legal guardian to know about it. Unfortunantly, we live in a sue happy country.

davidsinn

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 25, 2010, 07:00:16 PM

I would agree with you if we were taling about a soldier. but we are talking about someone under the age of 18 who cant make legal decisions. So before I touched a cadet, i would wanthis parent, who is legal guardian to know about it. Unfortunantly, we live in a sue happy country.

How is it a legal decision if the kid gets his hair cut or not? Last I checked you didn't have to sign a waiver to walk into a barber shop....
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

I used to go to the barber all by myself starting at about the age of eight.  The barber never refused to cut my hair because my parents didn't give him express permission to do so.  Then, at about the age of thirteen, I realized that it was to my benefit to go to a hair stylist  ;)

Also, I'm not sure that there is any legal ramifications of bringing a kid to a barber to get a haircut.  There isn't any criminal activity that's punishable and there aren't any civil damages, because there isn't any damages that have occurred, with exception of the cost of the haircut.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

flyguy06

Quote from: davidsinn on February 25, 2010, 07:07:55 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on February 25, 2010, 07:00:16 PM

How is it a legal decision if the kid gets his hair cut or not? Last I checked you didn't have to sign a waiver to walk into a barber shop....

Its not ileagal for a kid to get a haircut. But when a cadet goes to an encampment he becomes CAP's responsibility and when SM Smith who is not a barber wants to cut his hair because he is out out regs, that becomes an issue.