Precautionary landing on the Turnpike?

Started by Major Lord, February 01, 2010, 04:52:46 PM

Cecil DP

One of the reasons that all federally funded highways are required to have at least one mile in every five be straight and level is so that aircraft can land or take off  from them. (Lesson learned from WW II)
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

DG

Quote from: Cecil DP on February 03, 2010, 04:35:06 PM
One of the reasons that all federally funded highways are required to have at least one mile in every five be straight and level is so that aircraft can land or take off  from them. (Lesson learned from WW II)

Urban legend / myth

RogueLeader

Quote from: DG on February 03, 2010, 05:21:44 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on February 03, 2010, 04:35:06 PM

Urban legend / myth

Correction, was true, now it is not required.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ZigZag911

While it might be a lesson learned from WW2, it was implemented only in the 1950s, under Eisenhower's federal highway program to build the interstates.

Nick

And it makes perfect sense (of course, all these overpasses anymore kind of screw the plan, but hey...).  Most two-lane rural highways have trees and powerlines right up to the edge of the road -- sure you could put down a small single-engine, but you get something with any kind of wingspan and that plan becomes null and void (who's seen U.S. Marshals?)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

DG

Yesterday, I talked with the guy who did the annual on this airplane, in September.

Nick

Texas Wing Staff Guy

DG

Quote from: McLarty on February 05, 2010, 02:58:34 PM
and...? He have anything to say?

Let's just say that he is engaged in extensive conversations with his friends at the FSDO.

"I am from the Government, and I am here to help you."

PHall

Quote from: DG on February 05, 2010, 09:09:41 PM
Quote from: McLarty on February 05, 2010, 02:58:34 PM
and...? He have anything to say?

Let's just say that he is engaged in extensive conversations with his friends at the FSDO.

Sounds like something like, say an oil filter, wasn't properly secured. Or something like that...

Nick

Quote from: DG on February 05, 2010, 09:09:41 PM

Hah!  Heh, okay.
Texas Wing Staff Guy