Should cadets be allowed to conduct SUI interviews

Started by Lord of the North, January 30, 2010, 10:00:41 PM

EMT-83

For those who say that the inspector merely checks the box yes or no, this might be a good time to actually read the SUI Inspection Guide. I would guess that there as many subjective items as objective (although I didn't do the math), which would require an inspector to make a decision as to the inspection item meeting the intent of the regulation.

Spike

Quote from: RiverAux on February 07, 2010, 08:03:06 PM
Quote from: Spike on February 07, 2010, 05:05:31 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on February 07, 2010, 04:56:58 PM
SUIs are often a bit more than just yes/no checklists.  Sure, a lot of the items are like that, but on others some judgment is called for.

Judging whether or not to check "yes" or "no"   >:D
Oftentime that is exactly right. 

But going back to what you quoted, in the cadet program section of the SUI there are 14 topics and most of them are subjective questions ("How does the squadron....") that require substantial judgment to evaluate within the SUI criteria.

I agree completely.  Cadets can assist, but there should be a Senior Member making those calls. 

lordmonar

Quote from: Spike on February 07, 2010, 09:29:46 PM
SUIs are often a bit more than just yes/no checklists.  Sure, a lot of the items are like that, but on others some judgment is called for.

But going back to what you quoted, in the cadet program section of the SUI there are 14 topics and most of them are subjective questions ("How does the squadron....") that require substantial judgment to evaluate within the SUI criteria.

I agree completely.  Cadets can assist, but there should be a Senior Member making those calls.
+1

In addition....an older member has the life experince to deal with older CAP members.  Let's face it, no likes being told they are doing things wrong....and they really don't like being told that by "KIDS" whether it is a 25 year old Senior member or cadets.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: lordmonar on February 07, 2010, 09:38:30 PM
Quote from: Spike on February 07, 2010, 09:29:46 PM

+1

In addition....an older member has the life experince to deal with older CAP members.  Let's face it, no likes being told they are doing things wrong....and they really don't like being told that by "KIDS" whether it is a 25 year old Senior member or cadets.

Sorry, but as I've said before no one single inspector should be making the final call based on subjective findings. Whether a cadet or a Senior is the inspector their findings should be reviewed by the officer in charge of the inspection and any findings approved by them. If the chief inspecting officer is simply pencil whipping the findings of others, especially in the cases where the unit was on either side of the grading criteria, that alone should be grounds for a challenge and complaint.

It also sounds like perhaps some folks' opposition to cadets is less the member status as cadet than it is being judged by someone younger than them. All I can say is it's time to check your egos at the door.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

lordmonar

Johnny,

I think you get me wrong.....

It is not that "I" don't want some young guy telling me what to do.

What I mean is that as a leadership exercise....I would not want to add the already painful burden of an SUI with the baggage that a cadet inspector could bring.

You can't check EGOs at the door...when you are going to someone Else's house/squadron and telling someone to just suck it up does not remove the fact that there will be tension.  Tension that 99% of the cadets I have met are not yet equiped to handle.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP