Should cadets be allowed to conduct SUI interviews

Started by Lord of the North, January 30, 2010, 10:00:41 PM

Lord of the North

Do you think that cadets should be part of the Subordinate Unit Inspection team and do you think that they should be allowed to conducted the inspection interviews?  Are there any conditions where this practice might be acceptable?

Your views and comments please.

arajca

My opinion - no.

They do not have the background experience necessary to properly conduct the interview.

heliodoc

I agree with Andrew

with one caveat....  A senior cadet C/Capt and above shadows only BUT has no interview questions,  Just remains quiet through the whole process

That IF  a cadet shows an interest in squadron operations above and beyond the cadet program, then by all means allow as a  learning experience only and if the cadet is mature enough to stand some of the program issues and policies...

I can see cadets coming out of one of these things with glazed eyes and quite possibly shaking their heads at a how some CAP squadrons operate and how some regulation issues are confusing especially when CAP has issues with what is truly on the ground and what is perceived by NHQ-CAP as an ideal squadron or a "perfect CAP unit."  Or even how CAP "regulations" are interpreted by Wing or other staffers during the SUI.  Some times a senior cadet needs to see these thing in order to decide when turning SM. 

I went from cadet to senior member in 1980 and it was an eye opening experience going from cadet commander to Sqdn CC 6 months to a year later.  Wish I had some extracurricular SUI to attend BITD so I could reaaaaallly see what was or was not important as a far as priorities in Sqdn leadership issues

So I am all for older cadets doing this only with the caveat above..

RiverAux

From what I understood you now have to go through the IG basic course to be on SUI teams. 
I don't know if that is open to cadets, but I would doubt it.  Also, how is a cadet that is not able to do anything other than serve as an assistant staff officer going to be considered highly qualified to inspect actual staff officers?

Flying Pig

No, as a Sq. Commander, I dont want a cadet inspecting my unit.  Not even if its associated with the Cadet Program.  If I need a cadet perspective, Ill ask my cadet staff or a Senior Member thouroughly versed in CP.  Outside of CP, I dont see cadet having the expertise to conduct unit inspections.

maverik

Just a question do SM's go through some course to be on the SUI team? Also why not send some experienced cadets through this course? I mean senior cadet officers are taking tests that might as well be college level.  Also what makes a senior member capable more so than a cadet of conducting an inspection granted they both have the same level of training? Honestly as long as training is universal I don't see a problem.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

arajca

Appearances.

Insulting. An adult being evaluated on their performance by a kid. Don't give me that "Cadets are experts of the Cadet Program" BS. Cadets have do not know what it takes behind the scenes away from the glamour to keep the cadet program running.

What tests do cadets take that "might as well be college level"?

Honestly, if you sent a cadet to interview me for an SUI, you wold be looking for my replacement as I would quit due to the lack of respect you would have shown me.

maverik

Okay some of that Aerospace stuff is pretty much Freshman of college level anyways  I can see where you come from but I'm not saying evaluate you directly but rather assist but still aloud to contribute.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

lordmonar

I agree that no cadets should be conducting any of the SUI inspections.  I would go with the idea of senior cadets being on the team...helping out, observing, typing up reports, looking up regulations, etc...as a learning opportunity.

But I got enough problems with some random SM who thinks he knows more than me about the regulations...telling me something just has to be done....I don't need some cadet doing that.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

EMT-83

A senior cadet could have a role in helping his home squadron prepare for the inspection. That would provide plenty of opportunity to learn about the process.

A cadet as a member of the inspection team? No.

Rotorhead

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

dwb

No. Cadets can help prepare for inspections, but SUI teams should be comprised entirely of senior members, preferably those with a wealth of experience.

Ned

I think only experienced members should conduct SUI interviews.

But is silly to think that a 20 year old senior with two years in the program is more qualified to do the interview than a 20 year old cadet officer with 7 years in the program simply because of their membership category.

Talk about insulting . . . .

Cecil DP

If the "Subject Expert" doing the SUI doesn't have a Master's Rating in that speciaty, he shouldn't be doing the inspection.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

dwb

Quote from: Ned on January 31, 2010, 06:04:09 AM

But is silly to think that a 20 year old senior with two years in the program is more qualified to do the interview than a 20 year old cadet officer with 7 years in the program simply because of their membership category.
A 20-year-old senior member with two years in the program is *not* an experienced member.  So, regardless of the number of years the cadet has, neither are suitable candidates to be inspectors.

Quote from: Cecil DP on January 31, 2010, 10:36:11 AM
If the "Subject Expert" doing the SUI doesn't have a Master's Rating in that speciaty, he shouldn't be doing the inspection.
Are you saying that inspection teams should consist of people who have Master ratings in each of the areas being inspected?  If so, you'll find it nearly impossible to create inspections teams.

Besides, I may not have a Master rating in, say, Personnel, but I have a pretty good idea of what personnel officers are supposed to do.

Mustang

[darn] you Brodsky, you just laid to waste the post I just wrote making exactly the same points.   >:( ;D
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Cecil DP

Quote from: dwb on January 31, 2010, 12:17:09 PM
Quote from: Ned on January 31, 2010, 06:04:09 AM

A 20-year-old senior member with two years in the program is *not* an experienced member.  So, regardless of the number of years the cadet has, neither are suitable candidates to be inspectors.

Quote from: Cecil DP on January 31, 2010, 10:36:11 AM
Are you saying that inspection teams should consist of people who have Master ratings in each of the areas being inspected?  If so, you'll find it nearly impossible to create inspections teams.

Besides, I may not have a Master rating in, say, Personnel, but I have a pretty good idea of what personnel officers are supposed to do.

When doing  a SUI, the more experience the inspector the better for all. If you don't have a Master's rating that a Senior rating should do. The statement "I may not have a Master's rating, in say Personnel, but I have a pretty good idea of what personnel officers do", is not a substitute for the training and experience of the trained personnel officer.   
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RiverAux

Keep in mind that most SUI teams only consist of a handful of people and that each person is usually inspecting 2 or 3 different staff positions, some of which they may or may not be familiar with.  They should at least be an expert in one of them. 

Short Field

They might not have a Master rating in each area inspected, but I would expect them to have at least one Master rating and progressed past SMWOG in rank.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640