Main Menu

Would you go to Haiti?

Started by Walkman, January 14, 2010, 02:12:05 AM

mikebank

I would go, but, that is easy to say since there is no chance the CAP will be sent.
1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

dogboy

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 17, 2010, 07:12:25 PM
LOL. I workwith USAR and I thought it meant reserves too. It is a FEMA organization. MY CERFP unit worked with them last year.

I believe that is why the preferred acronyms is US&R rather than USAR

Johnny Yuma

NWIH (No Way In H***)

Between the Haitian government and the United Nations running the operation, I predict that the whole country will be a bastard child looking like something between 9th Ward Hurricane KAtrina and Somalia 1993.

This country's been independent for over 200 years and has never showed any semblance of a nation in that entire time depsite allof the world's efforts. Haiti was a lost cause before the quake and will continue to be thereafter.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Cecil DP

Haiti is the poorest nation in the western hemisphere, and  close to being the poorest in the world. Without sanitation, clean water,  or shelter CHOLERA and MALARIA will soon follow. It also has a high number of ACTIVE HIV cases.. This is not where you want to go for any reason. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JoeTomasone

...Especially since relief workers are now apparently coming under gunfire.

Spike

Quote from: Cecil DP on January 24, 2010, 02:28:28 AM
Haiti is the poorest nation in the western hemisphere, and  close to being the poorest in the world. Without sanitation, clean water,  or shelter CHOLERA and MALARIA will soon follow. It also has a high number of ACTIVE HIV cases.. This is not where you want to go for any reason.

Hepatitis and meningitis are very bad and will easily make the rounds through the population there.  There are also reports of drug resistant staph infections appearing. 

Bad news regrading health.  We need to quarantine every American and Haitian coming back to the United States (but that would be nonpolitical Correct!!!)

billford1

I lived in S. Fla for many years and got to know many Haitian immigrants. As a Federal Guard my older Brother got know many of them as well. It helps to understand that even in the best of times Haiti is a place where it is very tough to survive. This is to say the least a very tough culture that is the result of many years of cruel oppression from the Duvaliers, their successors and their secret police. People should be aware of this as they anticipate being part of a relief effort. As for me the only way I would go to Haiti at this time would be if I were assigned to or under the protection of an American Military detachment. The Haitian People should be afforded as much compassion and help as can be brought forth but I wouldn't go as part of a CAP operation unless sponsored by and attached in some way to our Military.

tdepp

Fellow CAP Members:

I know we're volunteers but if we were asked to go, we should go.  If the USAF needs our help, then we need to help.  We are their auxiliary.  And suffering knows no history.  The Haitian people need help.

I don't believe the USA should be the world's social worker but our nation has committed to helping Haiti, as have our branches of the services.   If asked, and we can serve, we should.  I would go if asked and could make proper arrangements at my law firm, where I am an owner and one of the people largely responsible for keeping it afloat and my associate lawyers and staff paid. 

In the meantime,  give some money to a reputable charity helping Haiti, support your friends and neighbors who are going over on medical and other missions, and say a prayer or two for the people of Haiti.

Best regards,

Todd Epp, Capt., CAP
Legal Officer
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron and
S.D. Wing

Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Spike

I just read how much $$ is going to Haiti.  Plus add in the dollars from united nations, Nato etc.  I would love to get some of that cash to fix our inner cities. 

Haiti can not be fixed.  We will build new infrastructure, new schools, provide food for the next decade, but the crime and corrupt government will keep the people subservient and poor. 

I have to ask....has anyone seen what happened to the "other side" of the island.....the RESORT side??

PA Guy

Quote from: Spike on January 24, 2010, 03:58:48 PM
Bad news regrading health.  We need to quarantine every American and Haitian coming back to the United States (but that would be nonpolitical Correct!!!)

Does that include everyone that has been properly immunized, including all of the military personnel deployed there? There hasn't been a mass quarantine in the US since the 1930s.

Spike

^ I don't think there is a vaccine for the plaque.  H1N1 is a serious concern as well.  In fact I do think everyone returning should be quarantined (including military personnel that came in contact with the island or its people. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Spike on January 24, 2010, 09:27:45 PM
^ I don't think there is a vaccine for the plaque. 

No, but you can get it engraved!

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2010, 09:30:43 PM

Or let your dentist work on it!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wuzafuzz

Quote from: SarDragon on January 24, 2010, 09:46:52 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2010, 09:30:43 PM

Or let your dentist work on it!
Or your cardiologist!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Cecil DP

^ I don't think there is a vaccine for the plaque.  H1N1 is a serious concern as well.  In fact I do think everyone returning should be quarantined (including military personnel that came in contact with the island or its people.

Actually there is a plague vaccine. I recall getting the shot when I was active duty prior to going to Nam
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

Now that you mention it, I went and looked at my shot record. Got stuck for that in Aug 1980.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PA Guy

Where are you going to lock up these thousands of people?  Who is going to pay for it?  How long are you going to lock them up, some diseases have an incubation period of several mos to 1yr?  What impact will removing an entire MEU, 82nd ABN contingent, USAF, USCG, USN personnel have on readiness?   

flyguy06

Yes. I would go to help the people.

PHall

Quote from: tdepp on January 24, 2010, 07:06:05 PM
Fellow CAP Members:

I know we're volunteers but if we were asked to go, we should go.  If the USAF needs our help, then we need to help.  We are their auxiliary.  And suffering knows no history.  The Haitian people need help.

I don't believe the USA should be the world's social worker but our nation has committed to helping Haiti, as have our branches of the services.   If asked, and we can serve, we should.  I would go if asked and could make proper arrangements at my law firm, where I am an owner and one of the people largely responsible for keeping it afloat and my associate lawyers and staff paid. 

In the meantime,  give some money to a reputable charity helping Haiti, support your friends and neighbors who are going over on medical and other missions, and say a prayer or two for the people of Haiti.

Best regards,

Todd Epp, Capt., CAP
Legal Officer
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron and
S.D. Wing

Can CAP legally operate outside of the United States?

RiverAux

I think I remember reading some posts here about CAP being covered by Status of Forces Agreements with various nations regarding US military in their countries.  So, there might be some legal complications in that sense.

But, there is nothing in federal law that prohibits CAP from operating outside the US that I'm aware of.  Don't recall seeing anything in AF regulations regarding use of CAP that would restrict them from authorizing an AFAM outside the US.