Main Menu

CAP Awards and Decorations

Started by Pylon, November 01, 2006, 03:18:08 PM

Pylon

There's a healthy discussion going on over at CadetStuff about underrecognition of CAP members doing a good job, and the corresponding difficulty of people below Wing-level to earn even a Commander's Commendation.

Have others had positive or negative experiences with members not getting recommendations approved, or not seeing recommendations made for deserving members?  Seems to be widespread around here.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

fyrfitrmedic

That sort of thing has gone on for as long as I can remember.

Many moons ago, for example, A. A. Milano was notorious for shooting down awards and decorations that made it to his level in PAWG.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Cobra_Bubbles

Maybe I'm just showing my age but after looking at the posts from Cadet Stuff, it seems that we're getting a bit bogged down on the CC Award. (I'd post this on CS.ORG but am waiting to be approved to post) Long ago in a CAP Far Far Away.... IZ seem to recall that it was not a problem for UNIT CCs to generate a certificate for just about anything.

I haven't researched this in the regs but I can't imagine that HQ would object to a unit CC (or his/her designee) designing and issuing a local level certificate of "Merit" (since they have already used the term "achievement". Call it whatever you want and prior to issuing one, set and publish the criteria to the unit. How many programs are there out there that will generate certificates that will look as good or (dare I say) better than some of the Ivory Tower ones?

Just a thought...
Great leaders are the first to give the credit for successful results to the team.
These same great leaders are the first to accept the blame personally when the
team fails to perform.

M.S.

Quote from: J_Baker on November 01, 2006, 04:15:36 PM
Maybe I'm just showing my age but after looking at the posts from Cadet Stuff, it seems that we're getting a bit bogged down on the CC Award. (I'd post this on CS.ORG but am waiting to be approved to post) Long ago in a CAP Far Far Away.... IZ seem to recall that it was not a problem for UNIT CCs to generate a certificate for just about anything.

I haven't researched this in the regs but I can't imagine that HQ would object to a unit CC (or his/her designee) designing and issuing a local level certificate of "Merit" (since they have already used the term "achievement". Call it whatever you want and prior to issuing one, set and publish the criteria to the unit. How many programs are there out there that will generate certificates that will look as good or (dare I say) better than some of the Ivory Tower ones?

Just a thought...

There is already a CAP Certificate of Appreciation (CAPC-35) that any commander at any level can request and give to members and non-members for a job well done. 

but does that set up a fair balance that a member at a squadron should get a paper certificate to put home in a folder while guys at Wing get ribbons to wear on their uniform for the rest of their CAP career?

MIKE

If I were king, I'd throw out the existing awards and decs and start from scratch... modeled after equivalent USAF awards with similar requirements.
Mike Johnston

Cobra_Bubbles

Well, lets look at this.... If the Squadron CC set up criteria for each of the "local level" awards that were fair, attainable yet challenging (not just a .. "ok, you attemnded most of the meetings so we'll forget that you didn't promote or participate in activities" award) it could be something that the Cadet (or Officer) might be quite proud of and even hang on the wall.

Also, lest we forget that the Parents of our Cadets are a vital part of the equation. If Cadet Johnny or Jane comes home with laurels, might it help to garner some more parental support?
Great leaders are the first to give the credit for successful results to the team.
team fails to perform.

Cobra_Bubbles

I'm ashamed to admit that it's been so long since I was in that I don't really recall many AF awards.... I do know that It didn't seem very hard to ger an AF Achievement Award.... just helped rennovate an old building into a new home for our squadron.
team fails to perform.

davedove

Quote from: MIKE on November 01, 2006, 04:28:06 PM
If I were king, I'd throw out the existing awards and decs and start from scratch... modeled after equivalent USAF awards with similar requirements.

I don't know that the requirements should be a stringent as military standards (although I'm sure we can all name many examples of people getting decorated for just doing their job).  After all, the folks in the military ARE paid for what they do.  In CAP, the ONLY recognition is through awards.  Now, I'm not saying that you should get awards for just showing up and doing your job.  There is already a ribbon for that, the Red Service Ribbon.  I will say though, that the standards  should be the same no matter what the organization level.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Cobra_Bubbles

Quite True! However, until Wing (or Groups and Wings if you have groups) catch on that warm fuzzys are important motivational tools (translate recruiting and retention), it will be up to the units (maybe they could work together of this?) to work toward their own survival/proliferation.(?)

Common standards for at least an entire wing would be a great thing... but until a unit or a couple of units demonstrate that it can be done and does have a positive effect, I'm thinking that Group or Wing(s) will not volunteer for the extra burden of development and oversight.

I guess I'm thinking along the lines of taking responsibility for ones self rather than operating on the mentality of Here's the problem... now YOU solve it for me.   Baby steps lead to marathons.      (Spell check is such a wonderful thing!)
team fails to perform.

TankerT

Quote from: J_Baker on November 01, 2006, 05:02:00 PM
Quite True! However, until Wing (or Groups and Wings if you have groups) catch on that warm fuzzys are important motivational tools (translate recruiting and retention), it will be up to the units (maybe they could work together of this?) to work toward their own survival/proliferation.(?)

Why is it that everyone complains and blames Wing or Group?  (Or higher) but never looks at themselves?

We've been beating the bush for years trying to get units to recommend people for awards.  (Lets face it, most active units have at least one person that's done something above and beyond, if not only comarable to the rest of his/her unit.) 

Often, the problem isn't Wing or Group realizing that awards are a good thing for retention... it is the local unit.

If you were to sift through your wing's files for award recommendations, I think you would find it's the same 10-20% of units that submit award recommendations, and nobody else.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

lordmonar

I think one of the problems is inconsistency across the Nation.

Some wings do it well, maintaining the standard and providing good feed back for rejected awards, while other do not.  They either just sit on them, reject them as "not Strong enough" with no futher feedback or they only give them out on the GOB system.

Doing your job well while others are doing their job poorly...is by definition above and beyond.  Doing a job above your "pay grade" is by definition above and beyond.

Standing up and doing any job at higher headquarters is above and beyond.

We need to see more CComms comming from unit level for project officers, exercise directors, training weekends.

We need to loosen up some of the horror stories about people doing good work and not being public recognized for it.

Awards are a tool we use to motivate our people.  A pat on the back and a certificate is good (and we need to give out more of these too) but we need make sure that people are getting the eye candy so they can wear it on their uniforms if that is what floats their boat.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major_Chuck

In my CAP Career I've sat on both Wing and Region Awards Boards and can tell you that we almost beat our heads against the walls trying to get people to submit nominiations for the infamous "Of the Year" awards.

The other problem or opportunity is when nominations for Commanders Commendations and higher are made usually there is no real substance to the nomination.  No specifics about why they deserve a Meritious Service Award versus a Commanders Commendation outside of "Major Fred shows up at every meeting in uniform..." 

I fully agree, use the awards to recognize someones accomplishments and contributions.  Use them as a motivating tool but lets be careful not to water them down too much as well.  Let's face it, any award we have doesn't translate to promotion points or achievements and certainly does not effect our CAP Paycheck. 

Let's give the awards based upon some substance and follow up with the unit commander when they are kicked back.

(I mention substance in the awards to give the PAO folks some meat to work with when submitting news articles to local media)

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

arajca

Here's a real example of how it doesn't matter how good you are:

A former unit (senior sqdn) went a full year without mishap, accident, incident, etc with either of the two planes assigned to. Both planes were at every SAREX for the year, flown over 200 hours each, and were available for every real mission (not called up for everyone, but ready with crew for every one), plus 85% of the members completed the AEPSM, and could almost staff a full mission base internally. Put in for a UC. Returned three times because the citation wasn't worded according the wing/cc's wishes. Returned a fourth and final time because after the period the citation covered and while the paperwork was being processed, one of the members had an accident with one of the unit's a/c. The reason for the fourth return was that it would appear to reward the unit for wrecking the a/c. After which, the unit/cc decided wing was full of <male bovine fecal matter> and quit trying to get the UC.

I don't think the unit has submitted anyone for awards after that. At least they didn't before I left.

Cobra_Bubbles

I think that I have been looking at this issue with tunnel vision. I am referring primarily to Cadet Programs. In looking through 39-3, I'm finding very little that will apply to Cadets. The reg seems to focus on Senior Members. How many Cadets are going to have the opportunity to be involved in an activity that will first, come to the attention of the Wing CC or his/her awards board and second meet the language of the Reg.?

We have available four levels of award for personal effort and performance. Commanders Commendation through Distinguished Service Medal. Pretty much rule out the DSM and ESM for Cadets just because the recipient will have accomplished something on a Region, or National level. How many Cadets even have the opportunity to participate in a "Major Project" at that level and even if they do are the chances good that they will be selected among st the "Relatively Few whose contributions clearly stand out...." ? Maybe I'm too cynical but I think not.

This leaves us with the Meritorious Service and Commanders Commendation. MSA specifies "Awards should be restricted to the recognition of achievements and services
which are clearly outstanding and unmistakably exceptional when compared to similar achievements and accomplishments of personnel of like rank and responsibilities."

Commanders Commendation calls for "Outstanding duty performance where achievements and services are clearly and unmistakably exceptional when
compared to similar achievements and service of members of like rank and responsibility."  This would be fine however, if the award is used for reward and motivation of the other membership, approval on a local level would seem to be a bit more appropriate (to me). By setting the approval level at Corporate level (Wing CC and above) the intimidation factor alone will prevent submission for these awards (how many people that deserve the awards are the personality type to blow their own horns?). Add to this the various levels that some wings will have to go through just to get to Wing level and I can easily understand the intimidation factor.

Now to add insult to injury, the CAPC 35 (Certificate of Appreciation) is available to Unit CCs. Is this something that the average Cadet or even SM will covet? Possibly but it is also the same certificate that a Unit CC would give to the troop leader of BS Troop XXX for allowing one of his members to come to their meeting to recruit..... It just lacks the impact that an "atta boy" available only to a member that excels would.

I'm told that the "basic unit" in CAP is the Squadron but the regs deny the Unit CC from "Officially" recognizing his/her people for efforts above and beyond at their level. I am at a Composite Squadron that is suffering from a severe lack of "active" Cadets. We are stinking with Senior Members but the cadet turn over is atrocious. Awards are not the sole answer but the lack of them may be a contributor.

We don't get the "major structure fire" or serious MVA with the frequency that our Fire and EMS counterparts (read volunteers) do and therefor cannot always derive the personal or even peer level sense of satisfaction of saving a life, a families home or even of taking a dirt ball to jail (in the case of reserve Police and Deputies) for taking advantage of someone "more civilized".

Cadets are people to (and at least 1/3 of our Mission) and they need kudos just like their SM counterparts... maybe even more and for every cadet that we loose, we loose at least a few recruits through the word of mouth when the former cadet tells them why they are no longer in CAP.

I'm through talking now.
team fails to perform.

Cobra_Bubbles

BTW... Has anyone heard of any of the National Commander Awards going out to Safety Officers that went mishap free in 05-06 during the big safety challenge?
team fails to perform.

TankerT

First - those awards for safety officers.  Yes, that program was cancelled before the year was up.  As such, no awards were sent.

Well... I'm going to go out on a limb... and pretty much disagree with J_Baker here... and say that cadets are not shut out of awards as harshly as he puts it.

Mind you, 18 of my 19 of my CAP career were dedicated to the Cadet Program.  (This is my first year in positions that are not directly related to them.)

I know a few cadets that have earned an ESA.  (I will admit, DSA, is pretty much unreachable for a cadet.  But, then again, it is for 99.9% of our seniors too... so... I call close enough...)  Yes, they worked hard, and made the opportunities that opened it up for them.  Mind you, these were senior cadets, with several years in.  But, that's going to be the norm for a lot of the higher awards.  It takes time to get into positions that would put someone in the position to earn one.  (Sure, there have been exceptions to that too... but that is the norm...)

Cadets do deserve awards just like SMs.  The problem isn't the regulation.  The problem is that nobody puts in either SMs or Cadets a large portion of the time.

Sure, sometimes we'll have Commanders that don't want to pass them on.  I don't think that's the rule, just the exception.

If you have terrible turnover, awards are probably not the major issue, or the solution.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

capchiro

I have found that my cadets that leave are not the cadets that are progressing in the program.  If a cadet progresses as they should, they earn a rank and ribbon almost every two months.  A couple of promotions in a row and they are hooked.  I do think some squadrons make it difficult for cadets to progress and maybe sometimes it is the higher ranking cadets that make it hard for the newbies.  I personally feel that we should offer every cadet the opportunity to succeed.  I have never felt that a cadet was worried or even interested in ribbons outside of the cadet program (other than a find ribbon).  I sometimes feel the emphasis of some squadrons is on emergency services and not the true cadet program.  One must put a priority on what will be offered at our limited meetings and emphasized.  So, if a lot of time is spent discussing 24 hour v 72 hour packs, the emphasis of 52-16 is probably being ignored.  As usual, JMHO.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

DNall

Quote from: capchiro on November 02, 2006, 12:38:21 PM
I sometimes feel the emphasis of some squadrons is on emergency services and not the true cadet program.  One must put a priority on what will be offered at our limited meetings and emphasized.  So, if a lot of time is spent discussing 24 hour v 72 hour packs, the emphasis of 52-16 is probably being ignored.  As usual, JMHO.
On the money there.

I'm all for that. It doesn't seem all that well put together & needs some updating.

On a related point in that process... I'd have a sit down w/ AF in the process. You know about a third of their decorations are awardable to civilians serving on AF missions? For example, the humanitarian assistance ribbon was awarded to maint crews who preped helos to deploy to Katrina but didn't actually go themselves. I'm just talking about a small handful of things on the bottom end of the scale, and of course it would be recommendations from our chain of command to the AF for approval. I think it'd be nice though to share some of those in common for a couple reasons. First, it allows current members of any service to get something extra they can wear on that side for their service with us; and second, it gives us common ground with the rank in file AF where they can see us meeting their standards & that's nothing but good. I might also propose an AF "CAP Service" ribbon that currently serving members of the military can wear to show their contribution to us - maybe just approve the red service ribbon for that purpose on real mil uniforms. I think AF would go for some of this since they are ultimately the awarding authority & it's their regs that specify who is eligible for what decorations. I mean getting a recommendation all the way thru the CAP chain AND the AU CC is a lot harder than the process for a service member.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DNall on November 04, 2006, 09:20:42 AM
I might also propose an AF "CAP Service" ribbon that currently serving members of the military can wear to show their contribution to us - maybe just approve the red service ribbon for that purpose on real mil uniforms. I think AF would go for some of this since they are ultimately the awarding authority & it's their regs that specify who is eligible for what decorations. I mean getting a recommendation all the way thru the CAP chain AND the AU CC is a lot harder than the process for a service member.

There is a service medal already awarded for this purpose. It's the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal. Some CAP senior members currently in the military have earned this award.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MajorChuck

Quote from: davedove on November 01, 2006, 04:45:29 PM

I don't know that the requirements should be a stringent as military standards (although I'm sure we can all name many examples of people getting decorated for just doing their job).  After all, the folks in the military ARE paid for what they do.  In CAP, the ONLY recognition is through awards.  Now, I'm not saying that you should get awards for just showing up and doing your job.  There is already a ribbon for that, the Red Service Ribbon.  I will say though, that the standards  should be the same no matter what the organization level.

I agree,

The Only "pay" We as members recieve is thru Awards and promotions.

The problem We have in Michigan Wing isnt Wing level Command refusing to
aprove Awards and decs, its the units/ Membership are not requesting.

EXAMPLE:
Every year Wing Asks for nominations for the "OF THE YEAR"awards and its like pulling teeth to get Members/Unit CC's to nominate anyone.

And as far as Cadets being shut out, My last Communicator or the year Award (last year)I approved when I was DC went to a Cadet. :clap:
Maj.Chuck Cook
Commander
Blue Water Composite Squadron GLR-MI-011
GLR/DCS