What's good for motion sickness (SAR)?

Started by Walkman, December 17, 2009, 04:59:23 AM

FastAttack

Quote from: Spike on December 17, 2009, 05:41:02 AM
1 bottle of Ginger Beer.  It is different from Ginger ale.  It is stronger and has a more "burning" taste.  If you are willing to pay 5 dollars for thirty pills, ask you local doc for "Emend" (aprepitant).  It is a different class of Anti-nausea medication, approved by the FDA.  Stay away from over the counter pills.  Tell the doc, you get motion sickness, and will be flying.  Should have no problems.

This is the FULL list of anti-nausea drugs currently on the market (both over the counter and by prescription:

• aprepitant (Emend®
  • dolasetron (Anzemet®
  • granisetron (Kytril®
  • ondansetron (Zofran®)
  • palonosetron (Aloxi®
  • proclorperazine (Compazine®)
  • promethazine (Anergan®),(Phenergan®)
  • lorazepam (Ativan®
  • metoclopramide (Reglan®)
  • dexamethasone (Decadron®
  • famotidine (Pepcid®)
  • ranitidine (Zantac®)
I would also make an appointment to see a ottolaryngologist (Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor).  Motion sickness is a form of balance control originating in the ear, which affects your other organs.  The actual nausea is brought on by your mind, and the organs react to what your mind think is happening.  It really is a simple fix that most insurance plans cover these days. 

•  

As a med student and former pharmacy tech, I can tell you none of the above should be prescribed for motion sickness.

I could go into detail into their primary uses, but in broad spectrum they are for nausea caused by an illness , chemo, radiation, pregnancy, sedation and some of them that you listed are for acid reflux. Not for inner ear or vertigo induced nausea.

Ginger works for some,
for some others sea bands work ( non medicated)

I for one as a scuba diver I use Bonine or Dramamine 2 ( which is meclizine 25mg) Antivert is also meclizine, contrary to some notion you can get Antivert OTC as meclizine 25mg just ask a pharmacist to special order it for you. In most states meclizine is a schedule 8 drug.

If none of the above is working for you then you should ask the doctor to prescribe you Transderm Scope Patches aka Scopolamine patches.

The other way of getting around motion sickness is to become a pilot ;)
it worked for me , especially when i fly gliders.

But even as a pilot I make sure that: ( which i know someone just listed)
1) I don't drink the day before I fly.
2) Drink Plenty of fluids the day before i fly.
3) The morning of , I avoid all products containing caffeine ( its a mild dieuretic )
4) Have a good breakfast not containing heavy fats and oils
5) Drink plenty of water before the flight.
6) Drink water while I fly.

I also don't fexiate on items inside the airplane to much, and when turning as a passanger I avoid looking directly at the turning wing, while turning just look at the horizon. Like a car you don't look at the curve you look at were you are turning.

Anyhow let us know how it works out for you.

Have fun :)

desertengineer1

Quote from: flyerthom on December 18, 2009, 04:18:36 AM
1) Eat before you go. It settles the stomach.
2) Motion sickness nausea comes from the inner ear. The best OTC for this is meclizine. The OTC versions are Bonnie, Bonamine, Postafen. Prescription version is Antivert. You may also find it as Dramamine - less drowsy formulation. Funny thing is that med has no Dramamine  in it. Look in the ingredients for meclizine.
3) Ginger does work and makes you less drowsy than any of the anti emetics.
4) Put some kitty litter in the bottom of your um convenience bag. It will absorb fluids and if you use a better kind some of the smell.
   4a) if you have the bags you won't need them
5) Don't use binoculars.
6) If you are taking photos - a camera with a real eye piece will give you a better photo and and cause less nausea.

Motion sickness is due to the physiological deviation from "normal" conditions the body and brain are wired for.  Susceptability varies.  Most agree that you want to eat something prior to flying.  Empty stomach = no breakfast = no nutrition = makes it worse.

There is no "one stop" shop quick cure.  Some things help certain people a little.  Ginger works for some people.  Crackers work for others. 

But there are several universal factors such as hydration, alcohol, (both mentioned previously) and certain physical positions to avoid.   Turning your head to get something in the back of the airplane at the same time the pilot enters into a turn is one example of what NOT to do (Did that on a SAREX.  Bad.  Even with ~1,000 hours of overall aircrew time since 1998, I was sick within 90 seconds)

It isn't the inner ears alone, but the accelerations sensed by the inner ears, and the "does not compute" response from your brain that causes the nausea.  How quickly and how intense this occurs can be minimized by a few things.   

Some factors that make it worse:

Dehydration ---> believed to affect inner ear acceleration sensations and neurological response magnitude.  Look at it as a misery multiplier.

Alcohol --> (should be obvious)  Neurological and inner ear acceleration sensors (ever had the spins?).  Another tidbit - Alcohol stays inside the inner ears much longer because the fluid is more deeply "compartmentalized".  This is why you still have the spins in the morning (with the hangover).  See the "disconnection" factor mentioned above.

The Navy taught us one univeral method: flight time.  The more time in the air, the more time your body rewires itself to be less sensitive to it.