the RAF model: the Cadet model from across the pond

Started by dogboy, November 29, 2009, 02:49:08 AM

dogboy

I though some might be interested in the system the RAF has established for it's Air Training Corps and the RAF section of the CCC.

Britain has a long history of cadet organizations for high school age youth. Most of the army officers early in WWI and WWII were commissioned from the Officer Training Corps (OTC) that was present at public (meaning private fee-paying) and grammar schools (public but competitive entry).

Just before WWII, cadet organization were formed for all the services as preparation for being conscripted (drafted).

After WWII, the school branches of the cadet organizations and the OTC were joined in the Combined Cadet Corps and the reference to "officer" was omitted as "elitist". Each unit is   associated with a particular school.

Strangely within the CCC,  there are Army Cadets, Air Force Cadets Marine Cadets and Navy Cadets. The instructors are mostly school personnel who hold ranks in a special reserve branch of the respective armed forces. There are also civilian instructors.

The CCC like the old OTC exists at public (private, grammar (competitive public) and a very few comprehensive school. The last are more like high schools in the US although, in places where they exist, the grammar school draw off the best students.

Meanwhile, the wartime cadet organizations which were not organized through schools continued in existence through the present. There is an Army Cadet Force, a Sea Cadet Corps and an Air Training Corps. To confuse matters even more there is are also Girls Venture Corps Air Cadets who wear RAF uniforms and are funded by the RAF even though the ATS admits girls.

Previously the adults that supervise the the Cadet organizations were given commissions in their cadet organizations. Recently this has changed and the adults can be are given special commissions in their respective branch of the armed forces. In addition there are adult NCOs in the cadet corps and civilian instructors.

ATC adults can be commissioned in the RAF Volunteer Reserve (Training Branch). During WWII the RAFVR was how many, if not most, temporary wartime combat commissions were awarded. The RAFVR no longer provides this function.

The "reserve" function for the RAF is done by the Royal Auxiliary Air Force.

One might ask why there are two wholly separate cadet systems, one organized by schools and the other by units drawing from a locality?

This is speculation but my opinion is that the CCC (the school organization) has kids from higher social classes and, probably higher academic achievement.  It's no accident that almost all the CCC units are at public (private fee-paying) schools and very competitive grammar schools.

An exclusive "public"  school like Eton attracts the social elite of the UK (or at least England). Current fees are about $50,000 a year. (There are some scholarships.) Princes William and Harry are Old Etonians. In England, it would be quite inconceivable for Eton students to associate with local kids in a cadet organization.

Parents send their kids to the relative few grammar schools left to get them away from the ordinary comprehensive schools.

In addition, comprehensive schools are controlled by local education authorities that are generally anti-military.

ol'fido

I won't comment on the cadet corps because I don't know much about it. But I am reading a book on the Polish pilots that served in the RAF. You mentioned the Auxiliaries of the RAF. The book stated that prior to WWII, the Auxiliary was something of a government funded weekend flying club for the young bluebloods. Supposedly, "the Regulars were officers trying to be gentlemen, the Auxiliaries were gentlemen trying to be officers, and the reserves were poor buggers trying to be both." Just trying to throw in some useless history where I can.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

dogboy

Quote from: olefido on November 29, 2009, 03:20:46 AM
But I am reading a book on the Polish pilots that served in the RAF. You mentioned the Auxiliaries of the RAF.

If you're interested in expait pilots in the RAF you would enjoy Dark Blue World

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Blue_World about Czech (very brief nudity)

The last few episodes of the British TV series Piece of Cake also feature Czech pilots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piece_of_Cake_%28TV_series%29

AirAux

Did I read someplace that the cadets in England and Canada are paid??

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on November 29, 2009, 04:37:53 AM
Did I read someplace that the cadets in England and Canada are paid??

I don't know about England, but the CIC pays all expenses for their cadets and seniors, provides uniforms,
and even provides a stipend during encampments for cadets and pay and benefits for its adult leaders.

"That Others May Zoom"

321EOD

Deja Vu!

Only a week ago I re-established contact with my old ATC squadron from 1978! (WIWA(ATC)C!)

The program was great back then, but I believe CAP is more comprehensive/challenging/rewarding, both as a senior and as a cadet.

To clarify some comments from the original post/answer some other questions:

ATC Officers have been commissioned in the RAF(VR) for at least 30 years (my CO was a Flt Lt RAF(VR) - turns out he is now a Wing Commander!)

Cadets DON'T get paid! - I believe RAF(VR) have a pay system similar to US military Guard???

Cadet dues are more expensive than CAP - they run around $15 PER MONTH ;-0

One final point on the seperation of OTC/ATC - one should never assume that Grammar schools in the UK produce people of a 'higher academic standard'
While private (read 'public') schools do offer an excellent education for those with deep pockets, there is a significant 'social class' system still in the UK. Sometimes being born with a silver spoon in your mouth does nothing more than make you speak funny ;-)

Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

dogboy

Quote from: 321EOD on November 29, 2009, 04:07:32 PM

>>>>ATC Officers have been commissioned in the RAF(VR) for at least 30 years (my CO was a Flt Lt RAF(VR) - turns out he is now a Wing Commander!)

My understanding is that ATC Officers could have been in the RAFVR previously but now all of them are, in a new branch RAFVR (Training Branch) that also includes the University squadrons.

>>>>>Cadet dues are more expensive than CAP - they run around $15 PER MONTH ;-0

According to their website, dues are about 2 quid a month, or about $3.50

http://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/wanttojoin/cadets_faq.cfm

>>>>One final point on the seperation of OTC/ATC - one should never assume that Grammar schools in the UK produce people of a 'higher academic standard'

I think there's some confusion here over the term "grammar school". This is a mainly state-supported secondary (high) school with competitive admissions, in contrast to a comprehensive that has to take anyone. Grammar schools are not the same as public (really private schools).

I don't know anyone who seriously contends that a typical comprehensive is as good as a typical grammar. Perhaps somewhere there is a comprehensive with standards as high as the worst grammar school but certainly that would be exceptional.

In addition, grammar schools do not cater to those "born with a silver spoon". Instead, they are filled with the children of the middle class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar_school