The wings on the leather patch

Started by Smoothice, October 16, 2009, 07:36:07 PM

Smoothice

I am working on ordering my first flight suit. I had a question on the wings for the leather patch. I have not yet completed any of the required forms/checkouts/proceedures to fly CAP airplanes, but I am a current PP. So, when I order them, can I wear the PILOT wings before I even start a form-5??

All the paperwork for the 2ND LT will be sent in soon, but I was mainly concerned about being "allowed" to wear wings.

thanks!

Nick

Quote from: Smoothice on October 16, 2009, 07:36:07 PM
I am working on ordering my first flight suit. I had a question on the wings for the leather patch. I have not yet completed any of the required forms/checkouts/proceedures to fly CAP airplanes, but I am a current PP. So, when I order them, can I wear the PILOT wings before I even start a form-5??

All the paperwork for the 2ND LT will be sent in soon, but I was mainly concerned about being "allowed" to wear wings.

thanks!

You must be rated as a CAP Pilot (CAPR 60-1, 3-7(b)) before you can wear the CAP pilot wings in a uniform.  Yes, being rated as a CAP pilot includes having a CAPF 5 within the previous 12 months.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Smoothice

great....thank you! I guess I will just wait until it is all finished up then

Flying Pig

You do not have to have a current form 5 to wear the wings.  Only to fly the plane.  You are not authorized to wear the wings until you have completed a Form 5.  Although, at about $12 with shipping and handling, you are not restricted from ordering the leather patch with the wings and sticking it to your mirror so you can stare at it for motivation.

If you think it will be a while until you get your F5 done, you may want to order the blank leather patch with your name on it.  Otherwise, just get the wings on it so you dont blow $12 for a patch your only going to wear once or twice.

Smoothice

is it not un-common for some pilots working twords the F5 to wear a flightsuit complete without the wings? To add them on later??

Al Sayre

I tell my new folks don't buy anything other than the polo shirt until you either get your wings or get promoted to 2d Lt.  Do your CAPF5 in the polo shirt uniform, and once it's all in eservices, you can wear your flightsuit with wings.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Flying Pig

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 16, 2009, 08:16:05 PM
I tell my new folks don't buy anything other than the polo shirt until you either get your wings or get promoted to 2d Lt.  Do your CAPF5 in the polo shirt uniform, and once it's all in eservices, you can wear your flightsuit with wings.

^There you go.  Id go with that idea.

But what about having your wings on your polo?!  Oh no...when will the madness end.

Actually, I dont sweat members who wear the polo with the embroidered wings prior to a Form 5.  At some point, you need to make some concessions that CAP isnt very user friendly with that area.  I wouldnt expect a member to order a polo without wings and then turn around later and pay extra to get them embroidered on when they are actively working towards their Form 5.

Eclipse

^A little electrical tape can solve the problem on the flight suit...

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

I'll second what Eclipse noted: that is exactly what I did 16 yrs ago when I had a Sq CC who dragged his feet on getting my military equivalent rank.  I already was a CAP pilot before he got off his duff.  So, I ordered the leather patch and covered up the LtCol with electrical tape.  I really wish that I had simply ordered wings and name and nothing else.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

a2capt

Nice good quality electrical tape works great and is darn hard to detect.

As for ranks, I wouldn't bother buying anything with rank on it until you get to captain that way you can use it for 3 years vs. 12 and then 18 months changing. ..unless you wanna just save 'em.

Although they do wear a little, too.

bosshawk

I agree, but since I was a Colonel in the Army and my military equivalent for CAP was LtCol, I never have to worry about changing ranks.  No-No-I have no intention of ever doing anything to get promoted in CAP: can't stand the politics at Wing and above.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

blackrain

I'm hearing far too much commone sense here.  ;D

Just a little curious if somebody in the food chain would deny a claim based on the "proper wearing of the uniform" if someone was wearing the wrong leather patch.

Sometimes scheduling conflicts make it tough to make all the training gates needed to qualify as a CAP pilot in spite of everyone's best efforts even with the required FAA certificates. I know overseas deployments put me way behind in my CAP training and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

jb512

Which would be even more simplified if CAP went to cloth (and/or leather) nametags with just wings and the name as the AF does for officers...

Chief2009

^         ^

You're making way to much sense, therefore, it will not happen. ;D

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Black Electrical tape works great... however, be very careful when you pull it off.   The tape likes to pull off the silver ink from the Vanguard patches.

Might as well have ordered the non-winged versions.

Noel

FW

Quote from: blackrain on October 17, 2009, 03:22:47 PM
I'm hearing far too much commone sense here.  ;D

Just a little curious if somebody in the food chain would deny a claim based on the "proper wearing of the uniform" if someone was wearing the wrong leather patch.

Never has been...yet.  But, I doubt if it ever will happen.  Air Force checks for membership card and  "in uniform".  Jeans and Polo are not a uniform.  Flight suit with wrong rating on leather patch?  I doubt if the AF would go that far to deny a claim. Then again..... >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: FW on October 20, 2009, 05:34:37 PMFlight suit with wrong rating on leather patch?  I doubt if the AF would go that far to deny a claim. Then again.....

Better to set the example then be the example.

I don't recall enough details to relay the stories, but a CAP Legal Officer at RSC discussed several situations where members were hurt or killed and proper uniform wear, credentials, or rating caused an issue with their benefits.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: Eclipse on October 20, 2009, 05:44:55 PMBetter to set the example then be the example.

Best remark I've seen on "CT" in quite a while.   :clap:

I don't think there is anything more to be said about it.

davidsinn

Quote from: FW on October 20, 2009, 05:55:52 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 20, 2009, 05:44:55 PMBetter to set the example then be the example.

Best remark I've seen on "CT" in quite a while.   :clap:

I don't think there is anything more to be said about it.

Flip side of that remark is: "If you can't be a shining example, be a horrible warning for generations to come." ;D

Former cadet of mine had that as a personal motto. It was also his stated life goal to win a Darwin award. The boy was full of FAIL.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

shorning

I don't recall "black electrical tape" being an authorized accoutrement for the leather nametag...