Regulation: Either they're to be followed or...

Started by BuckeyeDEJ, September 25, 2009, 05:52:53 PM

Ned

Quote from: PHall on September 27, 2009, 02:11:52 AM
Ned, it is part of the General's job to make sure her headquarters complies with their own regulations.
After all, it's part of her job to relieve Region Commander's who fail to follow the regs. Why should the National Headquarters be any different?

If the National Headquarters can not or will not comply then the IG needs to be instructed to not penalize the subordinate units when they fail to comply with the same regs during the Complience Inspections.

In this age of electronic publishing a change to a regulation/manual can be written, coordinated and published with nothing more then some keystrokes on a keyboard. So the "excuse" of not enough time available just won't wash.

But Phil, that is (at least part of) the point.

It is not her headquarters.  She can't hire or fire (or discipline) a single person in that building.  SHe doesn't even have any specific control over the budget.

(She has the same vote as any other member of the NB or BoG, but no more.)

I can only agree that everyone in CAP should follow the regulations.  And that ICLs should be incorporated in regs within the timelines specified.

But of course, our regulations are not meant to bind our non-member employees. They have their own policies and procedures.

It is probably inevitable that in an organization of our size, not every single rule and regulation is followed.  It is of course a leaders job to help ensure compliance with published standards.  There is really no question on that point.

Put if it were up to me (and it is not), I'd get around to the ICL/regulation problem after I had fixed all the other genuine problems that affect our members.  Things like safety, accounting for and safeguarding our resources, recruiting and retention, aircraft and vehicle acquisition and distribution, working out new missions and strategic partnerships with the AF, DHS, and other stakeholders, etc., etc., etc.

The ICL thing is pretty much a technical issue that is really a "non-problem."  It only becomes a serious problem if the members cannot readily discern the rules, regulations, and standards of the corporation. 

And that just isn't the case here.

At least not yet

RiverAux

I don't know that it is set down anywhere in stone that only NHQ employees can do the grunt work of altering the regulations.  I tend to agree that the technicality of not getting an ICL turned into a regulation isn't a significant problem, but the fact remains that the actual work could be done by a volunteer "Regulations" committee, turned over to NHQ for a double check and then sent on for approval within weeks.   

With the rare exception of the reg that is going to be totally re-written, most ICLS could be incorporated into the regs within minutes.  If NHQ doesn't have time to do it, turn it over to the volunteers and lets get the work done. 

Eeyore

ZigZag911

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on September 26, 2009, 08:25:36 PM
Quote from: Short Field on September 26, 2009, 07:42:08 PM
So the only issue is that NHQ, following their manpower cut a couple of years ago, is unable to update the regulations within 90 days of a ICL.   I am really surprised we can exist as a organization....

Pretty much that's what is happening; advisory group or team drafts regulation, then gets "coordinated" through NHQ (I think General Counsel, CAP-USAF & NHQ paid staff)....ultimately comes before NB/NEC for amendment, revision, discussion, acceptance or rejection.

Does it have to be the NHQ staff that writes the regs? Why can't it be done by members of the various advisory groups? After all, they're the CAP members who will adhere to the regs, so they'll best know how it all works.

FW

Quote from: RiverAux on September 27, 2009, 03:07:30 AM
I don't know that it is set down anywhere in stone that only NHQ employees can do the grunt work of altering the regulations.  I tend to agree that the technicality of not getting an ICL turned into a regulation isn't a significant problem, but the fact remains that the actual work could be done by a volunteer "Regulations" committee, turned over to NHQ for a double check and then sent on for approval within weeks.   

With the rare exception of the reg that is going to be totally re-written, most ICLS could be incorporated into the regs within minutes.  If NHQ doesn't have time to do it, turn it over to the volunteers and lets get the work done.

Actually, CAPR 5-4 does state that it is the responsibility of the NHQ "OPR" who will coordinate the writing of the regulation with the corresponding directorate (all corporate employees). 

One of the problems for getting an "ICL" into the regulation, IMO, is USAF approval.  It may take a long time for the travel from Montgomery to Pentagon City and back.  This is especially true for uniform changes, logistics and finance issues.
I did take the time to actually look at the listing of regs in eservices and, almost all include the latest changes.  The un-included ICL's are indexed with the appropriate reg and are easy to access. 
In any event, I'm still amazed at the bandwidth we are spending debating this fine issue.   Maybe we should just amend  CAPR 5-4 to suspend the 90 day ICL time period to: "ICL will remain in effect until incorporation into the regulation or its rescinding.

Eclipse

Quote from: FW on September 27, 2009, 04:39:15 PM
In any event, I'm still amazed at the bandwidth we are spending debating this fine issue.
+10

Maybe we should just amend  CAPR 5-4 to suspend the 90 day ICL time period to: "ICL will remain in effect until incorporation into the regulation or its rescinding.
+1 - One sentence, done.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

Quote from: Eclipse on September 27, 2009, 04:52:58 PM
Maybe we should just amend  CAPR 5-4 to suspend the 90 day ICL time period to: "ICL will remain in effect until incorporation into the regulation or its rescinding.
+1 - One sentence, done.

Right, but how long will it take to get CAPR 5-4 amended with that one sentence?  And is an ICL to 5-4 adequate?
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Eclipse

Quote from: McLarty on September 27, 2009, 10:47:59 PM
Right, but how long will it take to get CAPR 5-4 amended with that one sentence?  And is an ICL to 5-4 adequate?

Heh - that might cause a rip in space-time...

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

Quote from: Eclipse on September 27, 2009, 11:01:00 PM
Quote from: McLarty on September 27, 2009, 10:47:59 PM
Heh - that might cause a rip in space-time...
I would actually like to watch someone's head explode trying to process that logic.  When does an ICL eliminating expirations of ICLs expire?
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Gunner C