Main Menu

Checkrides

Started by Smoothice, September 17, 2009, 07:58:28 PM

Smoothice

I have been reading around the threads and they all contain some great information! I knew I came to the right place!

I joined for similar reasons as to what I have read, to make my aviation experience count for something. I got my PPL when I was 18. I got out of flying for a while becuase of money and "life" but I have recently become current again.

I like the idea of being an orientation pilot. I have participated in many Young Eagles flights and I found that very rewarding.

I was wondering though, does any CAP flying HAVE TO be in a CAP plane? Could I get the check out in the good old familiar C-172S that I LOVE and am very comfortable with at my local FBO??  I am guessing the answer is NO, but I figured I would give it a shot.

Eclipse

Quote from: Smoothice on September 17, 2009, 07:58:28 PM
I was wondering though, does any CAP flying HAVE TO be in a CAP plane? Could I get the check out in the good old familiar C-172S that I LOVE and am very comfortable with at my local FBO??  I am guessing the answer is NO, but I figured I would give it a shot.

With very few exceptions, flying and check rides need to be in CAP planes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Smoothice

That is what I figured and that brings me to another question...

How are we as pilots covered insurance-wise when flying CAP aircraft? If the worst should happen and I bend an airplane, what happens?

Al Sayre

Yes, (unless there is a wing supplement prohibiting it) you can get your CAPF 5 check out in the 172S at your local FBO, provided you meet all  the CAPF5 requirements (Uniform, CAP Check Pilot, flight release, etc.).  However, you would not be reimbursed for the flight, it would be released as a C17 non-reimbursable mission.

If you bend it, you can be assessed for part or all of the damage if you are found to be negligent.  Review CAPR 60-1 and associated ICL's.  Check with your insurer, you can buy a rider for CAP aircraft...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

FW

You may get a check ride in any aircraft your willing to pay for however, you will have a slight chance of using a member owned or provided aircraft for missions or orientation flights.

"Insurance"  coverage is provided by CAP while flying corporate aircraft (we self insure) HOWEVER, there may be "deductables".  If you are found at fault, the "deductable" can range from $500 to full value of aircraft.  I carry supplimental (renters) insurance for peace of mind. 

Eclipse

What they all said, which is one of the reasons you want to fly CAP planes.  Insurance can get "dicey" using MOA's or rentals for CAP business, and its generally not necessary.

Remember the initial Form 5 is on you anyway, and planes can go anywhere, so even if there isn't a plane in proximity to your unit, there's no reason you can't arrange a check ride with a pilot who brings the aircraft to you.

"That Others May Zoom"